Value of: BUF 1st overall pick to OTT for Karlsson (sign and trade)

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
The over rating of Dahlins value here is beyond ridiculous. For Mcdavid!? For Barkov PLUS Ekblad (LMAO... Would be adding significantly to that pick to get Barkov alone.

This thread is a joke. Kid may never play an NHL game, let alone become as valuable as Karlsson.

May never play an NHL game? You just went from one end of the ridiculous spectrum to the other.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Value aside, this is a silly trade for several reasons

#1. Why would Karlsson, who literally can get 10M per year from any team, agree to a sign and trade to Buffalo? Given he has a 10 team NTC, it's highly likely Buffalo is on that list.

#2. Why would Buffalo, who is still several years from contention, as good as Karlsson is, give up what many have called "the McDavid of D-men" at the age of 18, when they are more than a Dahlin or Karlsson away from contention.

If Buffalo was a good team who missed the playoffs because of a rash of injuries and Karlsson would push them from playoff team to cup contender...then yeah, maybe they consider this. But....Buffalo is an objectively bad team. They need several of their young players (Reinhart, Guhle, Mittelstadt, Bailey, Baptiste, Nylander, Borgen, Ullmark) to develop for Buffalo to be good. That is still several years out.

From a pure VALUE standpoint, 1st overall for an elite defensemen signed to an 8 year contract isn't bad.

But when you consider all the factors surrounding this deal, it makes no sense for Buffalo. Sure, Ottawa loves it, they get 1st overall for a D-man running to the door. No reason for Buffalo to do this deal. Not with the situation they are in.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
When has Dahlin been generational? The last 2 years maybe ? When he's been called the best D prospect in nearly 50 years ? And Karlsson is 27 for less then a month. He is a lot closer to 30 then 25. Keep him. We don't want Karlsson instead of Dahlin. Makes zero sense. I'd rather add the 18 year old version.

Read my post i specifically said not once but twice I know the deal doesnt make sense for Buffalo. You're also overating Dahlin, great prospect no doubt but when your expectations are assuming he will be the best d man of a generation you are bound to be dissapointed. How do you know another Karlsson isnt out there right now getting drafted in the mid first round? No Dahlin isnt a Mcdavid or Crosby level prospect and defensmen develop at a completely different rate. Look at Hedman, it took him 3 years to become an impact D man, his skillset is very similar to Dahlins. So before you go annointing Dahlin the next Lidstrom or Karlsson why dont you just give him a chance to play some games in the NHL.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Off the top of my head, the Sabres would trade the pick tonight.....

- to EDM for Connor McDavid
- to TOR for Auston Matthews
- to WIN for Patrik Laine
- to CLB for Seth Jones
- to BOS for David Pastrnak
- to COL for Nathan MacKinnon

Needless to say, Dahlin isn't Bobby Orr and isn't untouchable if a team is willing to offer something outrageous - but that's what it would take. And, no team is offering those offers above, as it would deplete their club and defeat the purpose.

Dahlin is an elite prospect, but he's still a prospect. There was a time Erik Johnson and Aaron Ekblad were labelled "franchise defensemen" in the mold of Rob Blake and Chris Pronger.

Laine and Pastrnak straight across? No chance. Great players in their own right, but you don't trade what Dahlin is projected to provide for a high-scoring winger.

Jones? Very good player, but no.

Matthews and MacKinnon? You're making us think, but we have Eichel, ROR, and Mittelstadt at center - and we could have Reinhart play there in a pinch - and we have a far greater need on defense. So, no.

McDavid? Sure, because he's McDavid. So you were 1-for-6.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Are you insane? seriously

So we have to give up a ton of stuff with the #1 pick to sign a guy to an 8 years 100/120 million.

You should have included some KY with this offer.

This is beyond awful! I'll take the kid with the incredible upside and 3 years of cost control, followed by 8 more years of team control.

Hey, what if the Ottawa Senators also throw in a reach-around to go with fum buggery that the OP trade proposal suggests?

I've said it before in this thread. I love EK to death. I'll go as far as to say that he's probably the best player I will ever see play for the Senators in my life, but I wouldn't do that trade if I was Buffalo. That's ludicrous.

but don't discount that reach-around. That's worth at least a 2nd round pick.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nhl gms pay for future production not past production. I can care less that Karlsson has won norris trophies, he didnt win it for my team.

Boxscore

Jan 22, 2007
The over rating of Dahlins value here is beyond ridiculous. For Mcdavid!? For Barkov PLUS Ekblad (LMAO... Would be adding significantly to that pick to get Barkov alone.

This thread is a joke. Kid may never play an NHL game, let alone become as valuable as Karlsson.

Yes, my hypotheticals were extremely far-fetched. I was making a point to those saying Buffalo would only trade the pick for McDavid and nothing else. I really really like Dahlin, and the Sabres in general, but I agree that the hype is getting way out of hand. I even heard Craig Button say Dahlin is the greatest D prospect to enter the league since Denis Potvin. Like Ray Bourque, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Drew Doughty, Victor Hedman and Aaron Ekblad were mincemeat.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Yes, my hypotheticals were extremely far-fetched. I was making a point to those saying Buffalo would only trade the pick for McDavid and nothing else. I really really like Dahlin, and the Sabres in general, but I agree that the hype is getting way out of hand. I even heard Craig Button say Dahlin is the greatest D prospect to enter the league since Denis Potvin. Like Ray Bourque, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Drew Doughty, Victor Hedman and Aaron Ekblad were mincemeat.

Woooow. Craig Button is NEVER wrong.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trading a generational D man for a potential one sounds crazy, and it is. This all hinges on a scenario in which Karlsson doesn't seem like he will sign in Ottawa. Dorion's biggest job this summer is going to be reading the situation and making sure they get full value if they end up losing EK. If they hold out till after the draft they could be losing a year and a lot of value of a rebuild.

To Buffalo:
Erik Karlsson (signed to 8 year deal)

To Ottawa:
2018 1st overall pick (Dahlin)
Conditional 2019 2nd (becomes 1st if BUF makes playoffs)
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Ottawa and Karlsson get a fresh start in this scenario. Buffalo can start to try and compete with a proven superstar. Ottawa starts the rebuild right with pick #1 and #4 in the draft, along with getting potentially another 1st down the road, as they will lose one next year or this year to Colorado. Luukkonen and Asplund will be solid additional building blocks in OTT.

You can never replace Karlsson, so you might as well get the next best thing.

Never happen. I understand the concept, but Dahlin is worth more at this stage of both players careers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I do agree that the overrating of Dahlin might be getting out of hand, but he is the perfect match for BUF as they are constructed now if he reaches his potential as a top 15 Dman. Trading for a forward of any type( yah, let's trade for another C, you can never have too many...let's have 4 #1C's!), or an older player....even 5 years is a lot...simply doesn't make sense. Why would CBJ trade Seth Jones...why would BUF trade for Jones?

In their position, they are playing with house money. No need to worry about being competitive next year....if it happens, fine, but in two or three years their talent should be just hitting it's stride. Trying to hurry things up and take shortcuts seldom works out well.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
HFBoards has this terrible mentality that cost contolled years trump everything.

We're talking about a generation dman, the best player at his position, at 100% health and in his prime. Do you actually think the Sens minus Karlsson is any better than Buffalo? It's the same misinformed people that thought Bergevin was a great GM when it was really Price carrying that team on his back, covering all the holes in the lineup. No different than Chiarelli when McDavid was able to get his team into the playoffs, it was quite sad to see people hailing Chiarelli when his best move was showing up at the draft to select his team's savior.

I know Karlsson is an awesome player, but when you say the best at his position, are you only looking at points? Hey, I'm not knocking Karlsson, would love to have him on my team, but I don't think he's the best player at his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad