Value of: BUF 1st overall pick to OTT for Karlsson (sign and trade)

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
ition, at 100% health and in his prime. Do you actually think the Sens minus Karlsson is any better than Buffalo? It's the same misinformed people that thought Bergevin was a great GM when it was really Price carrying that team on his back, covering a

We're not in a position to make any noise or realistic shot at the playoffs, in addition to adding $10M in cap. We've been a bottom feeder for 6 years. Over extending ourselves for a 28 year old Karlsson does not make sense. I'm not sure how this doesn't make sense. We're drafting Dahlin, plain and simple.

Reactions: topshelf15

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's so easy to wait until McDavid/Matthews prove they are legit threats to make that claim. For every one of these cases there's 100 more that didn't pan out.

I see your point though, and honestly it depends on the team. Say for example Vancouver, if they had the choice between Dahlin and Karlsson, it would make sense because not even Karlsson at his prime would fix Benning's team.

In most other cases if someone offers you an under 30 best player in the world at that position for a prospect that has never played an NHL game, you take it and run. The Sabres roster is much better than their place in the standings show, adding Karlsson and a goalie this summer and I don't see how they aren't competing with PIT/TBL in the East.

Yeah, if this was Dallas with Dahlin it would be a different conversation. I don't think 1 guy makes Buffalo a cup contender unless it's prime Hasek.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It's so easy to wait until McDavid/Matthews prove they are legit threats to make that claim. For every one of these cases there's 100 more that didn't pan out.

I see your point though, and honestly it depends on the team. Say for example Vancouver, if they had the choice between Dahlin and Karlsson, it would make sense because not even Karlsson at his prime would fix Benning's team.

In most other cases if someone offers you an under 30 best player in the world at that position for a prospect that has never played an NHL game, you take it and run. The Sabres roster is much better than their place in the standings show, adding Karlsson and a goalie this summer and I don't see how they aren't competing with PIT/TBL in the East.

First off, where is the secondary scoring coming from. Buffalo doesn't have it. Secondly, where is this magical "goalie" appearing from. If it's a goalie with term, again we have four contracts that are dead weight. There is a finite chance that if EVERY single player met career highs, we could make the playoffs and get swept in the first round. The rest of this is speculation. Buffalo ranked in the bottom half of most statistical categories for a reason. They need a major overhaul. Mortgaging the future for the best defensemen in the NHL now makes no sense.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
If the Sabres had been seriously contending for a playoff spot, let alone a Cup, this proposal might be worth considering.

They didn't, and it's not.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Trading a generational D man for a potential one sounds crazy, and it is. This all hinges on a scenario in which Karlsson doesn't seem like he will sign in Ottawa. Dorion's biggest job this summer is going to be reading the situation and making sure they get full value if they end up losing EK. If they hold out till after the draft they could be losing a year and a lot of value of a rebuild.

To Buffalo:
Erik Karlsson (signed to 8 year deal)

To Ottawa:
2018 1st overall pick (Dahlin)
Conditional 2019 2nd (becomes 1st if BUF makes playoffs)
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Ottawa and Karlsson get a fresh start in this scenario. Buffalo can start to try and compete with a proven superstar. Ottawa starts the rebuild right with pick #1 and #4 in the draft, along with getting potentially another 1st down the road, as they will lose one next year or this year to Colorado. Luukkonen and Asplund will be solid additional building blocks in OTT.

You can never replace Karlsson, so you might as well get the next best thing.

The first problem with this trade, is that Ottawa can not extend Karlsson until July 1, which is after the draft...the next problem(s) has been addressed sufficiently.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
This trade assumes that Karlsson would be willing to go to Buffalo. But if he was willing, why would he want to materially weaken the team he's about to join for the next 8 seasons? Why not ride out this season, get traded at the deadline to wherever Ottawa trades him, and then join Dahlin in Buffalo next season? (Of course, Karlsson isn't going to Buffalo, but I'm not the one who made the assumption he'd be willing to go there.)

Regardless, Buffalo says no.

Or he goes to Buffalo, sticks it out and comes back to Ottawa to join Dahlin :nod::naughty:

But yeah Buffalo would never do this. And they wouldn't add either.

Reactions: TheCerebral1

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lottery ticket vrs proven Norris winning defenceman.

Value is fair but since Buffalo is still in it's rebuild phase then this trade doesn't make sense for them.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Zero chance Karlsson would fetch that type of return. In a world where age and salary cap doesnt matter maybe, but that's not the world we live in.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I like how so many casual hockey fans are claiming the reason Buffalo won't do this is because of the age difference.

If Karlsson had no injury concerns Buffalo would accept in a heartbeat. Karlsson carried a non-playoff team to within one goal of the cup final, could you imagine if he was 100% with Buffalo's roster?

you are nuts....

please site examples of teams trading 1OA for a player--any player who is 10 years older?

On top of that Buffalo needs to add a2 other decent prospects and a a conditional pick.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The first problem with this trade, is that Ottawa can not extend Karlsson until July 1, which is after the draft...the next problem(s) has been addressed sufficiently.

aslo they would not be able to sign Karlson to an 78 yr extension. 7 is the max since he wasn't on the roaster pre TD.

example---see ROR signing.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Hf where Norris winning defence man is worth less 0 nhl games played draft pick :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
The snarky "only on HF does Buffalo not accept this trade" posts make no sense.

It's not that we expect Dahlin to be better than - or even as good as - Karlsson (though that upside is there). It's that the Sabres have no reason to trade that upside, team control, youth etc. given where they are in their rebuild and what it takes to generate sustainable success at the NHL level.

And yes, blue chip first overall picks should be valued as highly as top NHL players (within reason). You're expecting that player to be the real deal. That's why you're taking them first overall.

It's like arguing that Chicago should have traded Pat Kane for Vinny Lecavalier in 2007 (and no, I don't expect Buffalo to ever be as good as Chicago was).

Buffalo adding makes even less sense.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hf where Norris winning defence man is worth less 0 nhl games played draft pick :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Things like the salary, cap, time under control, age etc. matter. Player value isn't purely determined by their ability to play the game.

Reactions: Yatzhee

Jan 21, 2018
We're not in a position to make any noise or realistic shot at the playoffs, in addition to adding $10M in cap. We've been a bottom feeder for 6 years. Over extending ourselves for a 28 year old Karlsson does not make sense. I'm not sure how this doesn't make sense. We're drafting Dahlin, plain and simple.

Again, the Sens minus Karlsson are just as bad as Buffalo, probably worse. And again, any Karlsson trade is going to have salary being sent back.

I guess I'm alone in thinking the Sabres already have a great core that could do serious damage if they added a game breaking player like Karlsson.

Personally I think either everyone on HFBoards is obsessed with cost controlled years OR they just forgot how good Karlsson was prior to the injury.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Please show us the 200 1st overall picks which didn't pan out.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
We will wait a year then see if it makes sense to sign Karlsson as a UFA

Jan 21, 2018

I'm offering one of my children that should be born some time in the next 5 years for Karlsson. My son will be cost controlled until about 2040 give or take.

HFboards:

giphy.gif

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'd do it 1 for 1 given the entirety of the Karlsson situation. If Ottawa was a cap ceiling team, and things with Karlsson were copacetic, I would not do it. Unfortunately, that's not the situation we're in.

Especially with these young players getting relatively big contracts out of their ELC, and the competitive advantage of the RFA years being minimized, how good and how much of a sure thing does a prospect have to be before a team would lose by trading them for a 28 year old who is perpetually the top player in their position? Would Toronto have won a trade where they moved Matthews for a 28 year old Crosby? Would Ekblad for a 28 year old Karlsson have been a win for FLA? What about MacKinnon or Eichel? Yakupov for a 28 year old Ovechkin? (Lol sorry) So on, and so fourth.

(Yes, I know timelines don't exactly add up for those players ages vs when the picks happen)

The only case where I can think of where a team would really lose making that kind of trade would be with McDavid. At the same time, a lot of those players mentioned above are still relatively young, so that could change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad