Value of: BUF 1st overall pick to OTT for Karlsson (sign and trade)

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
It's so easy to wait until McDavid/Matthews prove they are legit threats to make that claim. For every one of these cases there's 100 more that didn't pan out.

I see your point though, and honestly it depends on the team. Say for example Vancouver, if they had the choice between Dahlin and Karlsson, it would make sense because not even Karlsson at his prime would fix Benning's team.

In most other cases if someone offers you an under 30 best player in the world at that position for a prospect that has never played an NHL game, you take it and run. The Sabres roster is much better than their place in the standings show, adding Karlsson and a goalie this summer and I don't see how they aren't competing with PIT/TBL in the East.

Your premise doesn’t make sense though. Why shouldn’t, under your logic, the oilers have traded the McDavid pick for Crosby? Like Crosby couldn’t have helped that team just as much as mcdavid did his rookie year?

Of someone offered Crosby for mcdavid, which they did, you should have been there to say “there you have it, McDavid is the 2nd most valuable player in the league” or whatever.

Dahlin isn’t the second most valuable player in the league, but for Buffalo, there isn’t really a 1-1 swap that makes sense outside of mcdavid.

Jan 21, 2018
Your premise doesn’t make sense though. Why shouldn’t, under your logic, the oilers have traded the McDavid pick for Crosby? Like Crosby couldn’t have helped that team just as much as mcdavid did his rookie year?

Of someone offered Crosby for mcdavid, which they did, you should have been there to say “there you have it, McDavid is the 2nd most valuable player in the league” or whatever.

Dahlin isn’t the second most valuable player in the league, but for Buffalo, there isn’t really a 1-1 swap that makes sense outside of mcdavid.

Again, it depends on the team. The Oilers with Chiarelli have no hope of winning anything, so Crosby wouldn't have done anything. And a generational prospect like McDavid isn't really a fair comparison to be honest, you gotta take him in almost any situation.

And again, I stated that I'm probably the only one that thinks the Sabres already have a great core that could do serious damage in the playoffs with a healthy Karlsson in his prime.

It's just my opinion, I admit I can be wrong.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I like how so many casual hockey fans are claiming the reason Buffalo won't do this is because of the age difference.

If Karlsson had no injury concerns Buffalo would accept in a heartbeat. Karlsson carried a non-playoff team to within one goal of the cup final, could you imagine if he was 100% with Buffalo's roster?

Do you like how the non-casual, hardcore hockey fans are also claiming the reasons why Buffalo won't do it? Again, if the first overall goes, they probably want something that fills a real need such as a young stud Dman that will grow with the team and be controlled for years (So why trade him away), rather than have 2 players tied up for 10 million a piece, or a stud winger also very young and cost controlled. Does Buffalo go from a team at the very bottom to having playoff success the next year, just by adding Karlsson? Realistically, Buffalo wants to improve and find themselves in a position to succeed for years, not a 3 year run and then go back to the bottom of the barrel.

Is that risky to turn down a player like Karlsson, absolutely, but do you take that risk and jeopardize long term success after being at the bottom for so long? There's a lot of hype around this pick and maybe Dahlin doesn't ever pan out in the NHL (I find that unlikely), but it's not a chance they should risk.

So, no, it's not about "casual hockey fans" it's about using logic.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Again, it depends on the team. The Oilers with Chiarelli have no hope of winning anything, so Crosby wouldn't have done anything. And a generational prospect like McDavid isn't really a fair comparison to be honest, you gotta take him in almost any situation.

And again, I stated that I'm probably the only one that thinks the Sabres already have a great core that could do serious damage in the playoffs with a healthy Karlsson in his prime.

Yea I think you are just overrating this Sabres team. The core is good but the rest isn’t, and I don’t see them competing deep in the playoffs for a little while

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
aslo they would not be able to sign Karlson to an 78 yr extension. 7 is the max since he wasn't on the roaster pre TD.

example---see ROR signing.

A 78 year extension! That's crazy to sign him until he's 105. That's way past his prime IMO. ;)

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Karlsson is the best defenseman in the league, would love him, obviously. But he's 10 years older than Dahlin and the Sabres won't legitimately be ready to compete for a cup for at least another two years if we're lucky, by that time Karlsson is 30+ We have a lot of work to do.

It's just not worth it. I'll take the risk that comes with Dahlin.

Reactions: paulmm3 and bert

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Just last year they Oilers were 1 win away from the conference final.

I agree.

The Sabres have some good pieces... but I think long term they're better off picking Dahlin. They have a young team. They could be a deep playoff threat for 10 years once they hit their prime.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Trading a generational D man for a potential one sounds crazy, and it is. This all hinges on a scenario in which Karlsson doesn't seem like he will sign in Ottawa. Dorion's biggest job this summer is going to be reading the situation and making sure they get full value if they end up losing EK. If they hold out till after the draft they could be losing a year and a lot of value of a rebuild.

To Buffalo:
Erik Karlsson (signed to 8 year deal)

To Ottawa:
2018 1st overall pick (Dahlin)
Conditional 2019 2nd (becomes 1st if BUF makes playoffs)
G Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
C Rasmus Asplund

Ottawa and Karlsson get a fresh start in this scenario. Buffalo can start to try and compete with a proven superstar. Ottawa starts the rebuild right with pick #1 and #4 in the draft, along with getting potentially another 1st down the road, as they will lose one next year or this year to Colorado. Luukkonen and Asplund will be solid additional building blocks in OTT.

You can never replace Karlsson, so you might as well get the next best thing.
Buffalo shouldn’t do this even if it was one for one.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I clicked on this thread expecting Ottawa to add, tbh.

Between Karlsson's injury history, age, and cap hit, I think Dahlin is more valuable right now.

You couldnt be more wrong, give me a break lmao.

Shiny new toy syndrome at its finest here. The guy you hope will one day become close to Karlsson is more valuable than the man himself. Thats rich.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
there you have it folks, Dahlin is the 2nd most valuable asset in the NHL and he hasn't even played a single NHL game.

Remember when Edmonton won the rights to McDavid and everyone shot down every offer because he was going to be the best player in the game? Well that's what's being said about Dahlin, and while that may not come to pass, right now he's expected to become the best defenseman in the NHL, much like McDavid was expected to become the best center in the NHL.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
I'm offering one of my children that should be born some time in the next 5 years for Karlsson. My son will be cost controlled until about 2040 give or take.

HFboards:

giphy.gif

Hard pass. Bad bloodlines.

Reactions: sufferer

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
You couldnt be more wrong, give me a break lmao.

Shiny new toy syndrome at its finest here. The guy you hope will one day become close to Karlsson is more valuable than the man himself. Thats rich.

No, but 11 years of team control, and at least 3 years of paying under $1 million base salary, sounds much better then paying a guy $13 million for what he did for the Sens. I saw lots of posts about him being a different player after the last injury this year, and Ottawa with Karlsson was sitting at the bottom of the league with the Sabres this year.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Why would Karlsson sign a 8 year deal just to be traded to Buffalo?

LOL. I know.

And also, why would Buffalo trade all that for a guy who has insane offence, for sure, but plays D exactly as good as Jake Gardiner does?

Ottawa says YES. Buffalo and Karlsson say NO.

ceky

Dec 1, 2009
Vienna
when I opened the original post I expected to get slightly annoyed by a one for one trade proposal..... wow!

but thanks sens fans for commenting!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I clicked on this thread expecting Ottawa to add, tbh.

Between Karlsson's injury history, age, and cap hit, I think Dahlin is more valuable right now.

Karlsson is 27 years old. People know that right? I just want to make sure because im very confident that everyone thinks he is alot older based on what everyone has him being traded for. His skating was also fine the last 15 games of the season. Players do heal.

An 8 year extended Karlsson at 11 million is worth more than Dahlin. Not extended clearly not worth as much. I dont see Karlsson going to Buffalo though and I dont see Buffalo being interested in this deal.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why would Buff trade a younger, bigger, and cheaper version of Karlsson for an older, smaller, and very expensive version of Karlsson?
Dahlin is already as good as Karlsson? Wow what a player!

Clearly where the Sabres are this isnt a deal that makes sense for them but Dahlin has a ways to go to be ever considered on Karlssons level.

Reactions: King 88

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I'm confused??? Where is Bobby Ryan in this proposal cause that shit was NOT a joke.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
no chance. Dahlin has the potential to be even better then Karlsson and his floor is a franchise #1 dman. Not trading an 18 year old generational D prospect on an ELC for 3 years for a near 30 Karlsson who has missed a lot of games in the past. Karlsson is the best but not for much longer. That'll be Dahlin.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
no chance. Dahlin has the potential to be even better then Karlsson and his floor is a franchise #1 dman. Not trading an 18 year old generational D prospect on an ELC for 3 years for a near 30 Karlsson who has missed a lot of games in the past. Karlsson is the best but not for much longer. That'll be Dahlin.

This post is ridiculous. First of all Karlsson isnt near 30 he is 27. Second of all Dahlin being better than Karlsson is probably less than a 5% chance of happening. He could have 4 Norris's by now and he is 27. Since when is Dahlin generational? And no his floor isnt a franchise #1 D man. Great prospect but people need to take a log off the fire.

No the deal doesnt make sense for buffalo but your post is straight up full of BS and not fact. The Karlsson hyperbole on this site is getting out of hand. Ottawa is an easy target and everything but he is a hell of alot better player than people are making him out to be.

Reactions: King 88

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Dahlin is already as good as Karlsson? Wow what a player!

Clearly where the Sabres are this isnt a deal that makes sense for them but Dahlin has a ways to go to be ever considered on Karlssons level.

Wait where did I say that? Hint: I didn't. Does he project to be? Yes he does.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
there you have it folks, Dahlin is the 2nd most valuable asset in the NHL and he hasn't even played a single NHL game.

This exact same thing was said about Connor McDavid too before he was drafted.

Buffalo isn’t trading the pick, regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad