OT: B's OT Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Phantom Menace isn't nearly as bad as I recall. Jar Jar still sucks though.
There are some definite cringe moments, mate, but watching Episodes 1-3 and then the original trilogy has some cohesiveness to it, for me, it still continues and adds to the story, enhances it for me for a lot of the backstory that we don't get but always wondered and wanted to know about when the movies first hit the theatres back in the day.

The new trilogy is a narrative to push today's agenda in cinema, to me, it's about as compelling as a Beyonce song.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The prequels have a very good storyline (shit character built, but good premise). The execution is shit though.

Corny dialog, bad acting, uneven directing, way too much/too apparent blue screens. (Bad) style over substance. Characters are not well-developed.

They feel very artificial. The narrative structure is very good though.

There is greatness in them.
Exactly.
My.
f***ing.
Point.

I knew I liked you for a reason, mate. You lovable frenchie bastard you. The movies are bollocks, but the story isn't. No sane or rationale person can ever say the same for the new trilogy which is the exact opposite of Episodes 1-3 - It's gorgeous to look at, but it's dead behind the eyes, like Letang sometimes.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I couldn't get into the gaming stuff you wankers were going off about. I've mostly been learning how to make drinks, I bought a lot of Aperol, Rosso Vermouth, and Campari in addition to the liqueurs and bitters I have from some boutique shop from Portland (some amazing bitters and flavors).

But I mean...I think I could finally finish the dozen+ games I am like 5-10% into.

So mostly Negroni's and Aperol Spritz's for the gf. And the random Pimm's cup.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Exactly.
My.
f***ing.
Point.

I knew I liked you for a reason, mate. You lovable frenchie bastard you. The movies are bollocks, but the story isn't. No sane or rationale person can ever say the same for the new trilogy which is the exact opposite of Episodes 1-3 - It's gorgeous to look at, but it's dead behind the eyes, like Letang sometimes.

The thing with the sequel trilogy is... it is not coherent.

Independantly, I like them all (RoS is a mess, but enjoyable), but as a unit... they have no narrative structure, no real build... stuff just happens.

None of the characters have a good 3-movie arc.

Rey goes through the traditional hero journey but pretty much stays the same for all three movies... but she randomly wants to f*** the bad guy... because. I guess it was them pecs in TLJ.

Poe has a great arc in TLJ... but they do not build on it. They turn him into a cheap Han Solo rip off instead.

Finn has a great arc in TFA and TLJ... then is just there in RoS.

Kylo/Ben has a great arc... but the payoff is just random. They do not really build to it. They did a good job building the inner conflict... but the payoff just happens. What was the trigger. His Mom reaching out through the force?

Visually, they are great. Acting and dialog are better than any of the other Star Wars movies. Directing is good. Each movie works within itself. RoS is doing too many things in too short a time... but it is still somewhat enjoyable. Taken alone (not within the universe/series, but as a film), TLJ is perhaps the most well-done Star Wars film. Each movie has great moments. It LOOKS more Star Wars than the prequels did.

Yet, the trilogy sucks. No continuity. Half-assed payoffs. Lack of unity. Some characters feel like different people from movie to movie... but each film kinda works on its own.

Disney should have had only one guy/gal in charge of the trilogy. Hell, Filoni should be Star Wars's Feige.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Exactly.
My.
f***ing.
Point.

have you seen the newest season of Clone Wars? It's awesome.

As for new trilogy, I enjoy all 3 movies, but its a mess of a trilogy. The prequels are all messes of movies, but make a better trilogy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I couldn't get into the gaming stuff you wankers were going off about. I've mostly been learning how to make drinks, I bought a lot of Aperol, Rosso Vermouth, and Campari in addition to the liqueurs and bitters I have from some boutique shop from Portland (some amazing bitters and flavors).

But I mean...I think I could finally finish the dozen+ games I am like 5-10% into.

So mostly Negroni's and Aperol Spritz's for the gf. And the random Pimm's cup.

Have you have Amaro Montenegro or Braulio before?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The prequels have a very good storyline (shit character built, but good premise). The execution is shit though.

Corny dialog, bad acting, uneven directing, way too much/too apparent blue screens. (Bad) style over substance. Characters are not well-developed.

They feel very artificial. The narrative structure is very good though.

There is greatness in them.

To me, there was uneven pacing. Jake Lloyd, other than his "yippeeeee" moments, wasn't bad. Natalie Portman and Kiera Knightley (or whoever was the Queen decoy most of the movie) didn't do so well. Most of the CGI still holds up to today. But yeah, the blue screens are rough.

The pod race scene is still exciting and sounds great.

Also, how bout Qui Gon taking a kid to a battle and telling him to just sit in a cockpit? :laugh:

Something else I noticed was that a Bail Antilles from Alderaan was also nominated for Chancellor when they were replacing Vallorum (or whatever his name is). He obviously didn't win.

It's an okay movie, but it just seems like it should be a prequel itself to the rest of the prequel series :laugh:

Yeah, there probably should have been another movie spent on Anakin's relationships with Obi Wan and Padme. Not much happened in this movie other than Anakin and the Sith were discovered. And Palpatine became Chancellor.

There are some definite cringe moments, mate, but watching Episodes 1-3 and then the original trilogy has some cohesiveness to it, for me, it still continues and adds to the story, enhances it for me for a lot of the backstory that we don't get but always wondered and wanted to know about when the movies first hit the theatres back in the day.

When I was in grade school I recall hearing rumors that Obi Wan beat Vader in a fight on a volcano. And that's why Vader was so messed up. Interesting that about 10 years later it was made true in the Revenge of the Sith.

The thing with the sequel trilogy is...

Yet, the trilogy sucks. No continuity. Half-assed payoffs. Lack of unity. Some characters feel like different people from movie to movie... but each film kinda works on its own.

Disney should have had only one guy/gal in charge of the trilogy. Hell, Filoni should be Star Wars's Feige.

I've certainly got issues with the sequel trilogy. TFA was a "soft" reboot but was done really well. But then there was no long term planning for the other two movies. Which is obviously a shame.

And yes, Filoni should be the head of Star Wars. At least he should be overseeing the main stories.

have you seen the newest season of Clone Wars? It's awesome.

As for new trilogy, I enjoy all 3 movies, but its a mess of a trilogy. The prequels are all messes of movies, but make a better trilogy

I think I'm going to watch Attack of the Clones today, which I'll probably regret.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
As a mid 30s default target demographic who loved star wars my whole life...Was into all the games, all the EU, all the smallest details...

...I don't even feel the desire to watch the OT, anymore.

The whole universe is so dead to me now.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As a mid 30s default target demographic who loved star wars my whole life...Was into all the games, all the EU, all the smallest details...

...I don't even feel the desire to watch the OT, anymore.

The whole universe is so dead to me now.
giphy.gif

Reactions: EightyOne

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I just finished watching the Indiana Jones original trilogy (against my will) and it was a painful 6 hours.

I do not get the appeal of that series or how it ever became so popular. It's just one unsurvivable act after unbelievable act one after the other after the other over and over....

The cinematics of it all is great... the actual plots are cool... it's well done... but it's just laughably bad at times..

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
probably. IMO it's the worst of the movies.

Agreed. Which is why when I show my kid Star Wars, not only will I omit TPM, but I will replace Attack with the full run of The Clone Wars.

Watch Clone Wars and Rebels. Play KOTOR games. It will rekindle your love for the franchise ;)

I bought KOTOR on Steam a while ago, but quickly dropped it because the control scheme is complete and utter trash. I'll just use my memories of my old XBox play through of it.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just finished watching the Indiana Jones original trilogy (against my will) and it was a painful 6 hours.

I do not get the appeal of that series or how it ever became so popular. It's just one unsurvivable act after unbelievable act one after the other after the other over and over....

The cinematics of it all is great... the actual plots are cool... it's well done... but it's just laughably bad at times..
I don't know that I've ever disagreed with a movie opinion as much as this one. Sure, Temple of Doom has issues. But Raiders and Last Crusade might be the two best action adventure movies ever made.

Reactions: EightyOne and LOGiK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I bought KOTOR on Steam a while ago, but quickly dropped it because the control scheme is complete and utter trash. I'll just use my memories of my old XBox play through of it.

Yeah, I tried KOTOR I and II a few years ago and just couldn't get into them. The writing was good, but the gameplay, the mechanics and the quests were all pretty lackluster.

On the other hand, I had a blast with Jade Empire, even though it was fairly short.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watch Clone Wars and Rebels. Play KOTOR games. It will rekindle your love for the franchise ;)

While the KOTOR games are incredibly good, they in no way make me enjoy the franchise at all. I share no loyalty to a franchise... if it sucks... it sucks..... if it's a good movie.... it's a good movie.

I don't care for SW at all, but I do kind of really like 'Return of the Jedi' and I do really enjoy a few of their characters, like Darth Mal

KOTOR 1 & 2 are great examples of work done inside of a mostly 'meh (imo)' universe. Would they have been as successful if they were movies or series? I think not... the thing about those games that grabbed you was the 'choice' of doing good or evil deeds and murdering certain characters or not... you can't get that emotional appeal that the games give you.

Even if it were a silly 'chose your own ending' type of movie, you wouldn't feel like you were in control - the kind of control you have when you play the games.

That is what made KOTOR so successful... I'll never forget playing the first KOTOR, we were at blockbuster and I had no idea which game to rent... my buddy with me was a huge star wars fan and he just saw a star wars game and picked it and I said... ehh why not. Who knew it would turn out to be one of the coolest and most fun games of it's generation.

That also makes me think of the time that was before the internet was involved in every minute of our lives. Information traveled slower those days... didn't always know what was a good game or movie instantly... you had to take chances.... annnnd I'm rambling... well... that is what the ot is for though =P

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Comfort and leg room are key as well, but otherwise absolutely.

My wife had a Sonata for 10 years, talk about a shoe box. 2 Flex's since (my requirement), when some girl smashed into her first Flex she hit so hard she went under and lifted the car and did so much damage underneath the car was totaled (we lost a lot of money replacing the vehicle we had no intentions on replacing, even after suing for more from the insurance co.) one final payment from owning it outright, and had she been still in that Sonata I don't think she would have gotten out of the hospital as soon as she did. I have never had an issue with F-150 crew cabs. You want to talk about room.... I'd set up/hang a LED 24" tv with a built in DVD player behind/between the 2 front seats for the boys on long trips (either vehicle) for the boys. You can get lost in the vehicles.

It's sad Flex's are being discontinued. Very safe cars. I'll never buy a small car again. The wife wanted one of those Edges but they are not practical for larger families. 4 +dog. @ColePens depends on what vehicle you buy, but all vehicles have issues/quirks. We have never had many issues being a Ford family. My worst case scenario in all my years of having Fords was the day after I bought my new white F-150 the battery was dead they obviously changed for free. The rest was minor stuff and mostly wear n tear. Most common for the engines in F-150's were changing out the sparkplugs having them snap off. We have had multiple different Ford vehicles. You maintain on a regular basis you can stretch out a lot of things. My Michelin tires, now the "Defenders" from what they used to be called, lasted me 5 years with regular every 3000 miles rotation with oil changes. (I do not do the 5000 mile oil changes ever). Tried a set of Goodyear and they didn't make it 2 years. You get what you pay for, but new vehicles don't always come with what you would prefer.

Not trying to sell Ford on anyone, but I have never had the extent of issues I get told about by others for other vehicles. *Knocks on my solid 27" diameter/15" tall (with bark completely coated in Helmsman's poly) maple tree round coffee table* Purchased two for $20 bucks of a tree taken down in Riverview park in Oakmont they delivered to my house.<----I made two of these and they have casters to move them around. Can be used as end tables as well. HEAVY!!!

05Jq2EI.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly, the Fusion isn't my favorite of that style of car. I actually really like Altima or Accord if I'm looking for that size sedan. But my dad works at a Ford dealership, so the discount is enough to outweigh any slight differences.

I don't really like the Edge. I've driven a few, and I have more leg room in my Fusion. I actually prefer my wife's escape to the edge too.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I don't know that I've ever disagreed with a movie opinion as much as this one. Sure, Temple of Doom has issues. But Raiders and Last Crusade might be the two best action adventure movies ever made.
Just 3 off the top of my head eye roller moments from 'The Last Crusade':

First, the petro tomb tunnels that don't ignite from his flame torch (and some flaming pieces shedding into the petro itself) but then DO ignite when the villain throws his flame into the petro only to have them survive by flipping a tomb over and going underneath it inside the upside down tomb WITH their still flaming torch NOT igniting the same ignited petro waters... was my first major ugghhh eye rolling moment.

Second was the mustafa group chasing him on boats only to try to kill him for several minutes in multiple manners, only to peacefully talk about it when the chase concludes was hideously funny...

Then .... when Sean Connery ran on the beach opening and closing his umbrella which in turn scared an entire beach flock of birds to fly up into an incoming Nazi plane and clog up the engine and also flying into the cockpit through the glass killing the pilot and saving our hero's from Nazi strafe.... I threw my hands up and said, OH COME ON....

Like I said, they WERE good in many ways ... but you just can't forget about all the eye rolling moments either.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, I tried KOTOR I and II a few years ago and just couldn't get into them. The writing was good, but the gameplay, the mechanics and the quests were all pretty lackluster.

On the other hand, I had a blast with Jade Empire, even though it was fairly short.
Jade Empire is somewhere in the top part of my backlog. My wife just got Animal Crossing for Switch, so I'm looking to play a computer game when the Switch isn't available. I'm torn between a few: Child of Light, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, RE2 remake, X-Com, and maybe Jade Empire. And since I'm torn, of course I'm just playing League of Legends instead :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just 3 off the top of my head eye roller moments from 'The Last Crusade':

First, the petro tomb tunnels that don't ignite from his flame torch (and some flaming pieces shedding into the petro itself) but then DO ignite when the villain throws his flame into the petro only to have them survive by flipping a tomb over and going underneath it inside the upside down tomb WITH their still flaming torch NOT igniting the same ignited petro waters... was my first major ugghhh eye rolling moment.

Second was the mustafa group chasing him on boats only to try to kill him for several minutes in multiple manners, only to peacefully talk about it when the chase concludes was hideously funny...

Then .... when Sean Connery ran on the beach opening and closing his umbrella which in turn scared an entire beach flock of birds to fly up into an incoming Nazi plane and clog up the engine and also flying into the cockpit through the glass killing the pilot and saving our hero's from Nazi strafe.... I threw my hands up and said, OH COME ON....

Like I said, they WERE good in many ways ... but you just can't forget about all the head rolling moments either.
you absolutely can forget about them, because it isn't attempting to be anything close to realistic. There is literal magic in these movies :laugh: If you go in to movies expecting realism you're going to be disappointed more often than not.

Reactions: LOGiK

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The thing about TPM is that you could completely omit it from existence and lose nothing in terms of narrative in the movie path. Maul means nothing in terms of the trilogy; backstories for everyone means nothing; one of the strengths of the OT was that stuff mentioned in passing (we fought together in the Clone Wars; the Senate has been dissolved; this ship did the Kessel Run...; Etc) and let your mind fill it in because characters in universe knew what those were.

If Episode 1 tartss during the beginnings of ObiWan training Aniken and the Naboo/Trade Federation fallout already happened, it becomes a stronger story with more of the original's feel to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad