OT: B's OT Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Indiana, I've heard, was the dog's name.
iu

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have the original box set vhs of the first 3 and then I have the laserdiscs of the first 3, then when DVD's were a thing, I got them on that too.

Laserdiscs were a trip, we went from VHS to Laserdisc, somehow they figured let's make this shit even bigger and then finally discovered a way to compress it into a smaller disc format. What a time to be old and know what the old shit used to be.

Man, even Betamax. Heck, @KIRK used to be alive when they were called "moving pictures" and sound wasn't even an option. Technology has come such a long way.

Reactions: KIRK

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm drinking and watching Game 6 vs San Jose. By the time I get back to AotC I'll likely be feeling good enough that I won't be able to give an intelligible critique of the last 40 or so minutes. :laugh:
I've been free pouring my own drinks (I usually use a shot glass that has measurements of 1oz 1.5oz 2oz) and at the rate I am going I am going to be passed out by 9-10pm. I might get my second wind though.

Gin bottles galore! I am really digging the Elderflower Tonic.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Copied from a different forum but I wrote it:

Watched AotC tonight. This movie seems to be much more CGI dependent. And because of that the errors/issues with it stand out way more. Dialogue was way worse in this too. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm specifically talking about the Anakin and Padme scenes. Anyone else notice how often they say "mindful" in the first two movies?

Dooku is a good character and Lee is a good actor. Too bad they didn't use him more. He even talks about defeating the Sith in this movie, but Kenobi refused to join him. Sounds like a true Sith even though he doesn't have those eyes.

I remember the Yoda fight scene in the theaters. I was so pumped. But now, what... 15 years+ later, it's okay. Good on Lee and his stunt double for pulling off fighting an invisible actor. The Anakin v. Dooku part wasn't so good though. Mostly close ups of the actors with lights moving about their faces.

I hate the droid factory scenes. Especially the C3P0 bits.

I think it's cool that the "bad guys" (I forget their allegiance... Trade Federation?) ships are like mini Death Stars.

Jango's jetpack was damaged by the rhino creature in the battle arena. And he tried to fly away before Windu got to him, but it didn't work thanks to the damage. I had heard this before but never actually saw the sparks on his jetpack before his decapitation.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Watched AotC tonight. This movie seems to be much more CGI dependent. And because of that the errors/issues with it stand out way more. Dialogue was way worse in this too. Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm specifically talking about the Anakin and Padme scenes. Anyone else notice how often they say "mindful" in the first two movies?

Dooku is a good character and Lee is a good actor. Too bad they didn't use him more. He even talks about defeating the Sith in this movie, but Kenobi refused to join him. Sounds like a true Sith even though he doesn't have those eyes.

I remember the Yoda fight scene in the theaters. I was so pumped. But now, what... 15 years+ later, it's okay. Good on Lee and his stunt double for pulling off fighting an invisible actor. The Anakin v. Dooku part wasn't so good though. Mostly close ups of the actors with lights moving about their faces.

I think it's cool that the "bad guys" (I forget their allegiance... Trade Federation?) ships are like mini Death Stars.

Jango's jetpack was damaged by the rhino creature in the battle arena. And he tried to fly away before Windu got to him, but it didn't work thanks to the damage. I had heard this before but never actually saw the sparks on his jetpack before his decapitation.
The part I really didn't like about AotC was the forced romance between Padme and Anakin, it was meant to happen, yes, but the way it was done was very creepy and just, not organic at all. It was like when you were in grade school and had dance class and you were forced to be with the girl that no one wants to dance with, but you feel bad so you feign being happy to dance with her but it's obvious, it's very obvious.

Also, every scene with Obi Wan was like...wtf, this f***ing tosser just falling into the right moments/bad moments and finding a fantastical way out of it each time was like...ok we get it, someone wanks off to Obi Wan's lore over at LucasFarts.

Sidenote: What I really don't like about that movie now, after the new trilogy, is the whole Anakin and Shmi thing, his whole issue is the fear of losing loved ones, that's the general arc of Anakin's storyline and why he is the way he is after, the search for family, the desire to keep them safe and always have family and constantly being betrayed and used by the Jedi's and Obi-Wan to do their bidding and then being manipulated by Ole Palpy. Then you watch this new turd of a trilogy and some f***ing turd suddenly starts bringing everything back to life, the f***ing cactus she killed, some cgi jabroni, Kylo, etc. And yet, not once, not ONCE did anyone show him that was a thing when Anakin was being "trained" by legit Jedi's and not some meh trained ones by Luke and Leia.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Blah, the romance scenes needed to be completely re-done. Even Padme said that she didn't like how Anakin was looking at her (rape-ily). And then she marries him at the end of the movie. Yeah, okay.

On to Revenge of the Sith. This is already a bit after episode 9 or 10 of season 7 of Clone Wars.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Blah, the romance scenes needed to be completely re-done. Even Padme said that she didn't like how Anakin was looking at her (rape-ily). And then she marries him at the end of the movie. Yeah, okay.
Yeah, the bloke leers at her and she's at first like "Ugh, no..." and later "Oh, ok...I dig it now."

I don't think Hayden is a bad actor, because a lot of very good actors in that movie were...very bad. But that script just made him so tough to watch, same for Portman.

Episode 1 - Watchable, weird but watchable, a lot of head scratcher moments.
Episode 2 - Lucas wanked off to his own hype it seemed.k He just doubled down on the cringe and stupid, a lot of departures for the characters that he established and then tried to establish in the lore, maybe he got a little too grandiose with it, but the end product was too ambitious, too disconnected at times and man did people take it to task for how bad it was.
Episode 3 - After being humbled a tiny bit by people just taking a dump all over how bad AotC was, he sort of did better, but not by a whole lot, the story wasn't too bad to end off his original 6 movies.

Attack of the Clones is widely considered the worst in the 6 movies, but with the 9 now, I don't know if it's worse than 8 and 9 anymore.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
AotC is likely worse than Rise of Skywalker, but I've only seen Rise once. After Rise I appreciated The Last Jedi more.

Anyway, last summer I got into audiobooks. Dark Disciple and Dooku Jedi Lost were both great. DD was an audiobook and DJL was an audio-drama. Both prequel, kinda, era stories. DJL talks about how and why he left the Jedi Order. DD is between episodes 2 and 3 and is about trying to assassinate Dooku.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Dooku is so great in the Clone Wars. But like most of that trilogy, he really needed to be in the the first movie as well. And his death scene in the novelization is awesome. Not really a spoiler, but just to shrink it down.

And he knows, then, that all has indeed been going according to plan. Sidious’s plan, not his own. This had been a Jedi trap indeed, but Jedi were not the quarry. They were the bait
As he looks up into the eyes of Anakin Skywalker for the final time, Count Dooku knows that he has been deceived not just today, but for many, many years. That he has never been the true apprentice. That he has never been the heir to the power of the Sith. He has been only a tool.

His whole life—all his victories, all his struggles, all his heritage, all his principles and his sacrifices, everything he’s done, everything he owns, everything he’s been, all his dreams and grand vision for the future Empire and the Army of Sith—have been only a pathetic sham, because all of them, all of him, add up only to this.

He has existed only for this. This.

To be the victim of Anakin Skywalker’s first cold-blooded murder.

First but not, he knows, the last.

Then the blades crossed at his throat uncross like scissors.

Snip.

And all of him becomes nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad