OT: B's OT Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
@LOGiK The game is a bit front-loaded. That said, I still find it only 'short' when compared to other games in the genre. Red Dead Redemption 2 demands 100+ hours if you want to see everything you can in in it. I cleaned out The Outer Worlds in under 40 while taking my sweet time. The later planets you go to aren't so open and the smaller scope of the game does become more apparent the deeper you get.

That said, I was always baffled at some people taking it being a 'short' game as some sort of rip-off or something, as if a 30-40 hour 9/10 game somehow isn't worth $60. The Outer Worlds may or may not have been the best game I played last year, but it was the game I enjoyed playing the most.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@LOGiK The game is a bit front-loaded. That said, I still find it only 'short' when compared to other games in the genre. Red Dead Redemption 2 demands 100+ hours if you want to see everything you can in in it. I cleaned out The Outer Worlds in under 40 while taking my sweet time. The later planets you go to aren't so open and the smaller scope of the game does become more apparent the deeper you get.

That said, I was always baffled at some people taking it being a 'short' game as some sort of rip-off or something, as if a 30-40 hour 9/10 game somehow isn't worth $60. The Outer Worlds may or may not have been the best game I played last year, but it was the game I enjoyed playing the most.

Well, for those that like Obsidian games for their open-ended story... as far in as I am (about to get my power source to fuel my ship) I am absolutely loving the characters so far. I love the combat system... the graphics are kind of 'meh' if you are a graphics whore kind of guy, but they are still beautiful to look at, just not pushing next-gen - no RTX, no DLSS 2.0, etc etc.

The gunplay is most fun outside of the well crafted story and missions. It's a Fallout: New Vegas (also an Obsidian game) combat system that is more refined and updated. I love it. Obsidian manages to out do Bethesda at a non Bethesda game (non fallout game like fallout that is better than fallout (4)).

I'm about to pick Adeline over Tobson.... with whom did you side on your tutorial planet? The farming outpost (adeline or tobson)?

Also, the mechanic companion chick is just so adorable... something about her is so calming over the crazy vicor. I am keeping her, for her looks and for her calming voice / attitude =]

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

People are crazy with what they expect from games now. I played Destiny 2 when it came out and really enjoyed it. Played through the story, did some group stuff and pvp with friends. Probably got 60ish hours out of it for $60. But I knew people who were grinding it like crazy, probably played 200 some hours in the same time I played my 60, then complained that there wasn't anything to do. Its not the best game ever, but it certainly had enough content to justify it's cost if you enjoyed the gameplay.

Reactions: BHD

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
People are crazy with what they expect from games now. I played Destiny 2 when it came out and really enjoyed it. Played through the story, did some group stuff and pvp with friends. Probably got 60ish hours out of it for $60. But I knew people who were grinding it like crazy, probably played 200 some hours in the same time I played my 60, then complained that there wasn't anything to do.

I think this is one of those things where being reared on cartridge gaming has kept me being realistic on game costs. When you remember hour-long games costing $70 new in 1993...and you know that $70 in 1993 would be $128 today...

This is also why no game will ever piss me off in the way Donkey Kong 64 did. That game cost 12 year-old me the equivalent of $142 today at an age where I didn't even get an allowance and I hated every second of it.

I'm about to pick Adeline over Tobson.... with whom did you side on your tutorial planet? The farming outpost (adeline or tobson)?

I made sure nobody was happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK and Ogrezilla

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I think this is one of those things where being reared on cartridge gaming has kept me being realistic on game costs. When you remember hour-long games costing $70 new in 1993...and you know that $70 in 1993 would be $128 today...

This is also why no game will ever piss me off in the way Donkey Kong 64 did. That game cost 12 year-old me the equivalent of $142 today at an age where I didn't even get an allowance and I hated every second of it.

I made sure nobody was happy.

Thats an option!!!?

I can't wait any longer!
*Logs in and boots up game*

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

The big thing that sucks about these recent 80+ hour epics is that, yes, technically, they are beautiful and have some good story beats, but as a whole they're mostly padded out bullshit. 130 fetch quests to run out the time, scaling enemies that require grinding, etc. If you scaled most of these AAA epics to their meat and potatoes, you're looking at a normal 40/50 hour game. 80+ hour epics should be few and far between. Final Fantasy 7 is the only epic game that shoots out at me that was worth the time sink. It's great that we have games that look and act like the real world, but it's always at the expense of story and core mechanics.

It's kind of sad you have to really hunt for solid, complete 25 - 40 hour games. One of my most enjoyable video gaming experiences in the past 20 years was Child of Light. About 30 hours, the story was complete and heartfelt, the music was amazing, art style was unique and beautiful, and the game scaled properly with challenges that didn't make you backtrack just to grind so you can face a boss or area without getting pumbled.

ETA- I almost forgot my favorite console experience... Golf Story for Switch. This game was fun, off the wall, funny, offered twists to a "golf" game, and all clocked in at like 20 hours, but I sunk in more because it offered some fun messing around stuff after the game ended and I enjoyed staying around in the game to play. Really looking forward to the squeal coming out soon, Sports Story.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
FF VI and IX were worth it for me, but I'll be honest, I really appreciate that the FF IX port has a fast-forward button.

Especially because the game is a bit of an old-fashioned grind fest at times.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Prey was a game that felt like it was the right length without much padding. I put 34 hours in to it and loved it. It's not a big epic scale though. I think that works to its advantage though. The whole space station feels like it existed for a purpose before the game, but it also doesn't have the big open areas that are cool at first but just feel like a slog once you've been through it before.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's kind of sad you have to really hunt for solid, complete 25 - 40 hour games. One of my most enjoyable video gaming experiences in the past 20 years was Child of Light. About 30 hours, the story was complete and heartfelt, the music was amazing, art style was unique and beautiful, and the game scaled properly with challenges that didn't make you backtrack just to grind so you can face a boss or area without getting pumbled.

ETA- I almost forgot my favorite console experience... Golf Story for Switch. This game was fun, off the wall, funny, offered twists to a "golf" game, and all clocked in at like 20 hours, but I sunk in more because it offered some fun messing around stuff after the game ended and I enjoyed staying around in the game to play. Really looking forward to the squeal coming out soon, Sports Story.
those are both games on my backlog that I really want to get to eventually.

I will say that DQ11 does seem to scale well. I assume it's scaling, otherwise it's just really well paced in terms of experience. I'm like 54 hours in and haven't done any grinding. It could maybe be a little harder if anything, but I have had some pretty tough fights recently. And you can skip almost all trash fights throughout the game, which is awesome.

Reactions: Winger for Hire

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
FF VI and IX were worth it for me, but I'll be honest, I really appreciate that the FF IX port has a fast-forward button.

Especially because the game is a bit of an old-fashioned grind fest at times.
I want to love FFIX, but I really struggle with over-leveling. I absolutely hate that you learn your abilities from items. If I get a new weapon, I really want to use it. But I'm not going to skip learning the ability on my old weapon. I guess I'm grinding ability points. But then I'm just steamrolling the game because I'm too strong. I need to go play it again and just move forward with the story even if I'm still using my old equipment.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
@Ogrezilla, I cannot recommend Child of Light strongly enough. Nothing mechanically groundbreaking, but the story, art, and music are amazing. It's one RPG were I really take advantage of buffs and non combat spells. Most RPGs you can really brute force the battles without buffing too much, in my experiences (maybe I'm playing the wrong ones), but this one can really punish you if you don't take advantage of timing disruptions, quickenings, and such.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@Ogrezilla, I cannot recommend Child of Light strongly enough. Nothing mechanically groundbreaking, but the story, art, and music are amazing. It's one RPG were I really take advantage of buffs and non combat spells. Most RPGs you can really brute force the battles without buffing too much, in my experiences (maybe I'm playing the wrong ones), but this one can really punish you if you don't take advantage of timing disruptions, quickenings, and such.
Yeah most of those games end up just being about damage and healing with buffs and debuffs rarely being worth it. It's worth throwing up generic buffs in DQ11 for boss fights at least, but it's still not very tactical. Haste, attack up, magic resist, or armor. Elemental shields are the most specific they really get.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I want to love FFIX, but I really struggle with over-leveling. I absolutely hate that you learn your abilities from items. If I get a new weapon, I really want to use it. But I'm not going to skip learning the ability on my old weapon. I guess I'm grinding ability points. But then I'm just steamrolling the game because I'm too strong. I need to go play it again and just move forward with the story even if I'm still using my old equipment.

The way I played it the first time in the PS1 days was to do something similar to that, but be really strategic about whether I needed that ability or I needed the boost in DMG or DEF that new equipment gave. This time, I just use the fast forward button (and the stop random encounters button) and hilariously stomp the baddies into a fine mist.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The way I played it the first time in the PS1 days was to do something similar to that, but be really strategic about whether I needed that ability or I needed the boost in DMG or DEF that new equipment gave. This time, I just use the fast forward button (and the stop random encounters button) and hilariously stomp the baddies into a fine mist.
but without random encounters, I will never learn all of the abilities before I upgrade my items. And that's just something I really hate. I'm honestly not sure I would be able to enjoy the game if I do that. But I definitely stopped enjoying it when I was super over-leveled last time I was playing.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
but without random encounters, I will never learn all of the abilities before I upgrade my items. And that's just something I really hate. I'm honestly not sure I would be able to enjoy the game if I do that. But I definitely stopped enjoying it when I was super over-leveled last time I was playing.

No, I mean, just toggle them on and off so that you don't have to deal with the insane rates of random encounters that plagued every Square RPG from 1995-2010. :laugh:

Also, I am having way too much fun with that new AI meme generator.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No, I mean, just toggle them on and off so that you don't have to deal with the insane rates of random encounters that plagued every Square RPG from 1995-2010. :laugh:
yeah I get it. My problem is that the game actually doesn't give you as much AP as you need to learn all the skills before you find better items, even with all the random encounters. And since I am a crazy person, I actually go out of my way to find more random encounters to learn everything before moving on :laugh:

But after playing some newer games where you can see enemies, I really really do not miss random encounters.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The thing is, you don't ever really need to learn all that many of the abilities until mid-to-late game.

Actually, now that I think about it, FF IX is kind of a game that was weirdly made better by switching disks because it broke the game up into more manageable chunks. The load times were bad though.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The thing is, you don't ever really need to learn all that many of the abilities until mid-to-late game.

Actually, now that I think about it, FF IX is kind of a game that was weirdly made better by switching disks because it broke the game up into more manageable chunks. The load times were bad though.
Of course you don't need them all. But they are there, and I am going to get part way through learning them just for using the item. That really isn't acceptable to just leave them half learned. I'm not a monster.

Maybe you missed the part where I said I was a crazy person :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
l'm just saying, a far as being a completionist goes, waiting util the mid-game lets you learn those abilities super fast, especially once you get AP Up. :laugh: But I feel you. I min-max myself.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
l'm just saying, a far as being a completionist goes, waiting util the mid-game lets you learn those abilities super fast, especially once you get AP Up. :laugh: But I feel you. I min-max myself.
Its not even so much about min maxing. I don't care as much about that as I do seeing a 3/4 full bar and then not finishing it.

Maybe I'll give it another shot though. 9 and 12 are two final fantasies I like but haven't ever finished. 12 is a similar issue. New equipment becomes available way more often than you can afford it, so I would grind for money and became overleveled. Then the game got boring, especially since it would just play itself :laugh: So yeah, I need to learn some self conrol

Reactions: HandshakeLin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know where to do these anymore.:laugh:

Just got done watching 'Bagger. I've watched this at least 4 times and always find it soothing. The way Bagger talks to Jr. about anything. Will Smith is incredible in this.

Now watching Push.

Reactions: BHD

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@Scandale du Jour @Ogrezilla

How'd you like today's Clone Wars episode?

Once again, I thought it was a good episode. Not as good as the previous two, but still dang good. And it's likely more of a set up for the final episode that's to be released on Monday.

Also, when did you guys start watching the Clone Wars? I didn't watch it until it was on Netflix about 5 years back. I watched an episode every morning before my long drive from Pittsburgh to Indiana, PA for work.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Once again, I thought it was a good episode. Not as good as the previous two, but still dang good. And it's likely more of a set up for the final episode that's to be released on Monday.

Also, when did you guys start watching the Clone Wars? I didn't watch it until it was on Netflix about 5 years back. I watched an episode every morning before my long drive from Pittsburgh to Indiana, PA for work.

Dude...

Agreed, the last two were better, but this one was a perfect setup for the finale. The dark tone at the beginning was just perfect. Like a classic tragedy. You know it will go bad, you just have to discover how it will happen. Very well done.

Rex resisting the order at first and then being "overruled" by his chip. That was great as well. That cliffhanger at the end! I... cannot... wait... until... Monday!

I started watching the Clone Wars after the initial run. Watched the movie when it originally came out and hated it, so I did not really bothered with the series. Watched it on Netflix a few years ago and was hooked.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
@ColePens
Finally opened a Roth IRA with Vanguard. Funding some 2050 Retirement goal stuff with it. Will contribute to my yearly 6k max or whatever.

I kinda delayed and missed out on that other corona crash trading. But that's fine.

This new Roth IRA is probably some of the most responsible shit I could do with my money, either way.

In mean, besides these bitchin quality 6-24mm ratcheting combination wrenches that just arrived. Lol.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I loved it.
Maul is awesome as always, and the scene of the actual turn was fantastic. It's a shame the movies didn't have any sort of relationship built between any of the clones and the jedi, because this scene was so much more impactful than seeing it happen in the movie.
I watched it on Netflix too. I watched it at lunch time at work. I was like Scandale, I didn't care for the movie so I put it off until I just heard enough good things to convince me to get back in to it. The series as a whole still had a fair amount of episodes that weren't that good imo, but pretty much anything focused on Anakin, Obi Wan, Ashoka, or the clones were great. Rex is probably my favorite part of the show.

I feel like I should start up Rebels after this finale on Monday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad