OT: B's OT Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
there's no adjusting to that heat and humidity. You just do your best to survive it.

Chicago gets pretty brutal in the summertime (temps in the 100s), so the first time I visited the deep south (e.g. not Virginia), I thought I could handle that shit. I could not. :laugh:

Holy hell, Memphis in June was just gross. I couldn't even imagine the hell it would be in late July or August. I'd imagine New Orleans would melt me. Even Oxford would probably reduce me to a sluggish puddle.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Prague only gets like a week or two above 35 C, but that period is always awful because Czech buildings are built for long, cold, dark winters, so they tend to keep heat in really well, plus all the stone and plaster in Prague city center just reflects heat like an oven when it gets to like, say, 38-40. Locals usually respond by taking their vacation then and going to the countryside or the mountains, but if you're stuck in the city it can be brutal.

The saving grace is that once the sun sets, sitting outside with a cold beer is really amazingly pleasant.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If you think the South is hot/humid, try Goa, India. 40C (104F) + humidity (so it feels between 45C and 50C).

I am not someone who usually sweats a lot... and I was sweating like a pig just standing outside waiting for the ride taking me from the hotel to the office.

I have been to Tennessee in August and it was cold compared to Goa. I think I preferred -30C in Quebec City to +50C in Goa :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If you think the South is hot/humid, try Goa, India. 40C (104F) + humidity (so it feels between 45C and 50C).

I am not someone who usually sweats a lot... and I was sweating like a pig just standing outside waiting for the ride taking me from the hotel to the office.

I have been to Tennessee in August and it was cold compared to Goa. I think I preferred -30C in Quebec City to +50C in Goa :laugh:

I can imagine. Cold is great because you can always put on layers, but it's sort of frowned upon to go walking around with a strategically placed coconut or two.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I can imagine. Cold is great because you can always put on layers, but it's sort of frowned upon to go walking around with a strategically placed coconut or two.

And I can stay inside.

A/C is a luxury in India. I had it at the hotel, we had it in SOME rooms in the office.

May 2018, my World Tour: Started in San Francisco, came back to Quebec City for a day, left for India, came back for a week and then left for Limerick, Ireland.

In between these trips, I signed my mortgage and got my house notarized. Crazy, but fun month.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
So I do a lot of my hockey related stuff. I have an agility ladder, so i'll do a 15-20 minutes of the following.

- 40 seconds on/20 off: Fast feet agility ladder, side shuffle agility ladder, ski jumps. (3 minutes)
- 40 seconds on/20 off: Jump Rope (3 minutes)
- Jog/Sprint a couple 15-20 yard dashes.

Then repeat that for 3-4 sets. Then go for a walk to cool off and go in to lift.

For specifically the agility ladder, I love:
1) out/out/in/in,
2) side shuffles
3) Up/up/back/back.
4) Quick Slants
5) 1 leg skip

If you have any recommendations, i'd take them. I freaking LOVE footwork.

I hate ladders, but I think you're right. :laugh: I've been throwing in crossovers and shuffles while I've been running the last week or so, and that's helping, but ladders and jumping rope are always good ideas.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
And I can stay inside.

Stay inside? Stay inside?

giphy.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In case anyone is wondering, the climactic scene of Action Jackson involves Carl Weathers driving a Ferrari Testarossa into a mansion, up the stairs, around an upstairs hallway, and through a bedroom door to engage in hand-to-hand combat with Craig T. Nelson.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As legendary as that scene is, make no mistake...this is a terrible movie.

That's okay, it's probably a welcome respite from having to re-watch Ozu's filmography to advise one of my students. :laugh: Besides, it might be better than the final projects this semester. It's been a rough 4 months.

One of these years, I'm going to get the okay to teach my course on bad movies. :naughty:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's okay, it's probably a welcome respite from having to re-watch Ozu's filmography to advise one of my students. :laugh: Besides, it might be better than the final projects this semester. It's been a rough 4 months.

One of these years, I'm going to get the okay to teach my course on bad movies. :naughty:

What a great job.

But yeah, I totally get when you'd need to break that up with some gratuitous '80s cheese haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad