Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Potato tacos?
Noodles in marinara sauce?
BBQ Jackfruit Sandwiches?
I'm definitely not looking to replace protein with carbs. Potato tacos and noodles in marinara both feel like moving in the wrong direction in terms of my diet. I am never less satisfied with my meals than when they are carb heavy. I mean they taste great, but I feel like it takes like double the calories of what I should eat to feel full from pasta. So I either end up eating too much or feeling hungry in an hour or two.

I just tried jackfruit for the first time a week or two ago. It's not bad, but it's way less good than pork.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm definitely not looking to replace protein with carbs. Potato tacos and noodles in marinara both feel like moving in the wrong direction in terms of my diet. I am never less satisfied with my meals than when they are carb heavy. I mean they taste great, but I feel like it takes like double the calories of what I should eat to feel full from pasta. So I either end up eating too much or feeling hungry in an hour or two.

I just tried jackfruit for the first time a week or two ago. It's not bad, but it's way less good than pork.

I usually do sweet potatoes with avocado and black beans and then make a spicy cilantro sauce with vegan yogurt, jalapeño, cilantro and water. Then use the left overs to make a “taco salad” over greens.

I mostly make big bowls of squash noodles with marinara over Kale or Spinach.

BBQ jackfruit in a baked potato.

I dunno. I guess I’m not as regimented as some people here in terms of diet. I would never count calories.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I eat very little carbs, most of my meals end up being at best, 15g (sometimes 20-ish) of carbs and I almost go 1:1 for protein for my size and then it's a load of veggies (I am a fan of carrots, broccoli, spinach, romaine, beets, asparagus, green beans, etc).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Have you thought about taking him to another vet? It sounds like you need a 2nd opinion. Ask more questions about the mass removal surgery too. Don't give up just yet :heart:

It's far too late for a second opinion IMO. The poor guy is pretty much done at this point.

I've also spent $1,000 on him so far.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
It's far too late for a second opinion IMO. The poor guy is pretty much done at this point.

I've also spent $1,000 on him so far.

You said surgery wasn't going to be that expensive or extensive? Try that.

If the results and prognosis continue to be bad, then the car is telling you it's time.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I'm not against the idea, but without intentionally going out of my way to eat vegan, I really don't see it happening. If nothing else, it seems like all of the vegan alternative options are just way more expensive than the standard version. Vegetarian I'm sure I've done a lot, but vegan is a whole different level.

I considered going vegan at one point. There are some great YT channels dedicated to vegan/vegetarian recipes, but (as you pointed out) look costly.

Plus, I don't think I could eat (or afford) the amount of food needed to add size in the gym.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I usually do sweet potatoes with avocado and black beans and then make a spicy cilantro sauce with vegan yogurt, jalapeño, cilantro and water. Then use the left overs to make a “taco salad” over greens.

This looks like the best thing I've seen you talk about for sure. Not a big avocado fan, but it seems like this would be good. And avocado actually has some calories to it. I would really want to acquire a taste for Avocado if I tried to cut out meat.

I mostly make big bowls of squash noodles with marinara over Kale or Spinach.
This one sounds good, but like no calories. This kind of meal is probably why you don't have to worry about counting calories, because a pretty big bowl would be like 200 :laugh:

BBQ jackfruit in a baked potato.

I'm just really not impressed enough with jackfruit to change to it.

I dunno. I guess I’m not as regimented as some people here in terms of diet. I would never count calories.
I doubt I would if I was vegan either. If I did, it would be to make sure I'm eating enough, not to control it. It's not hard to do though. Just put what I cook in to my fitness pal, then use what it tells me to decide how many portions to split it in to. And once you put a meal in it's saved. I don't bother changing it every time I cook something that's pretty much the same as what I've had before either. If I'm within +/- 100 for a meal, I'm not worried about it.

I dunno, I just don't feel strongly about being vegan or vegetarian, and I honestly don't think it'd be a healthier diet. It would be different, but I don't think better. Today I have a burrito bowl sort of thing I made with sausage, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes, black beans, jalapenos, and rice with a bunch of taco seasoning. It's like 1/4 lbs of sausage a meal. I also have some stir fry made with chicken over broccoli, baby corn, snap peas, carrots, and water chestnuts in whatever kikoman's "Stirfry Sauce" actually is. Basically soy I think. But it's tasty. That one is about 1/3 lb of chicken a meal.

It's very rare that I just sit down with a big hunk of meat at this point, though I did make some ribs over the weekend. I probably cook something like ribs, burgers, or pulled pork sandwiches like once a month.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I eat very little carbs, most of my meals end up being at best, 15g (sometimes 20-ish) of carbs and I almost go 1:1 for protein for my size and then it's a load of veggies (I am a fan of carrots, broccoli, spinach, romaine, beets, asparagus, green beans, etc).
I eat a good bit of rice; that's the bulk of my home-cooked carbs for sure. I eat a shitload of peppers and onions, and then a decent amount of broccoli, carrots, snap peas, and cauliflower. I don't really just eat cauliflower, but one of the best things I learned when I was doing Keto is that cauliflower with some cream in a food processor makes a solid thickener for soup instead of using flour or cornstarch. Asparagus is my go-to side for something like a pork chop, but I don't do that very often.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I considered going vegan at one point. There are some great YT channels dedicated to vegan/vegetarian recipes, but (as you pointed out) look costly.

Plus, I don't think I could eat (or afford) the amount of food needed to add size in the gym.
yeah the cost to eat the amount of calories I want is just way higher for Vegan options than I currently spend. Maybe once you can start getting a decent vegan diet's worth of groceries at Aldi I'll reconsider :laugh:

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
yeah the cost to eat the amount of calories I want is just way higher for Vegan options than I currently spend. Maybe once you can start getting a decent vegan diet's worth of groceries at Aldi I'll reconsider :laugh:

And you guys are in the 'States. Canadian grocery stores are pricier when it comes to, well... everything.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’ve tried to go vegan several times ( normally I’m a pescatarian) but I don’t last more than one or two weeks,...there’s only so much lentils, beans and tofu I can eat for protein sources without getting bored....and nut butters....I always return to craving cheese eggs and yogurt, which are staples of my diet...

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Watched 'Letters from Iwo Jimo' or is it letters to iwo jima...
Whichever, decent flick... a little heavy on the compassionate side of war. I would bet if they weren't surrounded and out numbered they wouldn't be thinking or saying to be compassionate.

I do get the objection to fight and die for something you don't believe in or agree with. When I was in, I was very vocal against the afghan and whatever other wars / conflicts and always said, 'don't send me there... I'd refuse to go'.... which didnt go over to well with my chief ...

I can only imagine how bad it was to think that way in wwii.... much different war though.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Wasn't that movie a part of two movies..Where one was Allied perspective and one more Imperial Japanese?

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
oh is that how that works? gotcha. Guess I've gotten very used to us cooking different meals. But sure, what do you have?

Here's a few simple ones...

Have you met the FRANKIE???
Chickpea and Kale Thai Coconut Curry - Averie Cooks
Easy Chana Masala | Minimalist Baker Recipes

Frank's/any type of buffalo sauce is a weakness of mine, so I'll drain, cube and marinate some tofu and saute it in a mix of Frank's and dairy-free ranch dressing. It's phenomenal.

I saw a few folks referenced jackfruit, too. I can't stress enough how big of a difference it makes to simmer it in some broth prior to cooking with it.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Frank's/any type of buffalo sauce is a weakness of mine, so I'll drain, cube and marinate some tofu and saute it in a mix of Frank's and dairy-free ranch dressing. It's phenomenal.
I've had that. Not with ranch, but I hate ranch. Sadly, it's still tofu. It's not bad, but it's way worse than chicken.

I've had jackfruit that she cooked at home in some crockpot recipe and some jackfruit tacos from a restaurant. The tacos are like her favorite good so I assume it's good jackfruit. Same as the tofu. Not bad, but way worse than the pork it's replacing. The texture is just weird for both too. Much better in a taco though.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I've had basically that. Sadly, it's tofu. It's not bad, but it's way worse than chicken.

I've had jackfruit that she cooked at home in some crockpot recipe and some jackfruit tacos. Same as the tofu. Not bad, but way worse than the pork it's replacing. The texture is just weird for both too.

The best way to change the texture of tofu is to use an air fryer. It makes the tofu much chewier (in a good way). I am not a fan of soft tofu.

Does your wife ever make or buy seitan? That's my preferred meat substitute.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Wasn't that movie a part of two movies..Where one was Allied perspective and one more Imperial Japanese?

Didn't see your reply,

Not that I know of. Just a Japanese point of view wwii film. Well, mostly from those sent to an unwinnable battle on Iwo Jima... so of course morale would be low and everything else that happens when your basically sent there to die.

Reactions: EightyOne

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
The best way to change the texture of tofu is to use an air fryer. It makes the tofu much chewier (in a good way). I am not a fan of soft tofu.

Does your wife ever make or buy seitan? That's my preferred meat substitute.

Seitan and tempeh rule.

Marinades are absolutely a thing with tofu. And while it smells bad, stinky tofu actually tastes delicious. But man, does it smell like ass. :laugh:

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
I actually like beyond sausage. Trader Joe’s has some really good veggie patties too. I still eat meat, but only a few times a month. Mainly when going out to a restaurant or a family meal. Although, it has been easier to eat almost no meat during quarantine.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Seitan and tempeh rule.

Marinades are absolutely a thing with tofu. And while it smells bad, stinky tofu actually tastes delicious. But man, does it smell like ass. :laugh:

I've never had that. Challenge accepted. :laugh:

My next project is going to be seitan gyros.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

For me to maintain my mass, going vegan is just too much food to supplement the protein. I don't by those vegan athletes either because I know they're downing so much protein powder to supplement their protein loss from dropping meat. It's just not suitable for my lifestyle and if you're a gym rat like you and me, mate it's just way too much food and supplementing to make up for the protein we will miss out on.

I don't rely on a lot of supplements. Just the usual bcaa, protein powder, and glutamine. So going vegan and needing to add more supplements to my body to make up for the nutrients I am missing but also adding a lot of others is not worth it for me.

I eat a ton of greens to begin with. I'm celiac so I eat very little of the shitty gluten free carbs and eat very clean to begin with. Some chicken, pork, beef, and salmon but a boatload of veggies is my balance.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I've never had that. Challenge accepted. :laugh:

My next project is going to be seitan gyros.

There's all sorts of videos of white people eating stinky tofu in Taiwanese night markets and, while they are generally videos made by babies with baby palates, stinky tofu does indeed live up to its name.

But then again, I'm the weird big nose ghost who likes durian, so...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
For me to maintain my mass, going vegan is just too much food to supplement the protein. I don't by those vegan athletes either because I know they're downing so much protein powder to supplement their protein loss from dropping meat. It's just not suitable for my lifestyle and if you're a gym rat like you and me, mate it's just way too much food and supplementing to make up for the protein we will miss out on.

I don't rely on a lot of supplements. Just the usual bcaa, protein powder, and glutamine. So going vegan and needing to add more supplements to my body to make up for the nutrients I am missing but also adding a lot of others is not worth it for me.

I eat a ton of greens to begin with. I'm celiac so I eat very little of the shitty gluten free carbs and eat very clean to begin with. Some chicken, pork, beef, and salmon but a boatload of veggies is my balance.

You can easily do vegan body building without supplements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad