News Article: Bryan Murray Has Stage Four Cancer, Terminal Diagnosis

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
I'm really sorry to hear this guys. I'm 33 years old and I needed a colonoscopy couple months ago. It's really not that bad. If you're 50 and older you should get one once in a while just to make sure everything is ok. Like my doctor said, we can see everything with X-rays nowadays except the interior of the colon. Anyway my thoughts are with Bryan Murray and his family.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Are you ****ing kidding me?!

That's awful... I changed my avatar from the ribbon figuring that no news is good news...

Devastating news...

SenatorArmy*

Is there any hope at all? I mean I understand terminal but what kind of prognosis or life expectancy are we looking at here? Could he possibly beat it though extremely unlikely? Can they at least give him a few more years?

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
So saddened by this grime news tonight. This is the worst kind of result someone can get. I feel so bad for Mr. Murray and his family. I sure hope a miracle happens and he pulls through this. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family!:(

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is there any hope at all? I mean I understand terminal but what kind of prognosis or life expectancy are we looking at here? Could he possibly beat it though extremely unlikely? Can they at least give him a few more years?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is zero chance of beating it. As Bryan Murray himself said tonight, even this summer they found that it had spread to his liver and lungs. That is NOT good. Stage Four means that the cancer has spread everywhere. All they can do is buy him some time with chemo, but typically patients will cease chemo after a period of time due to the side effects, and switch to palliative care. It is difficult to say what his life expectancy is now, but if you look at how quickly Jack Layton's health went downhill in similar circumstances it may not be long.

I truly wish there was better news, but that's the difficult truth. The focus now should be Bryan Murray's comfort and quality of life...

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I watched Murray come into Starbucks all the time. He never seemed sick. Seemed like a guy 20 years younger.

He might have years left, even if his diagnosis is terminal. Let's hope so. The healthier he is, the more Chemo he can take, the longer the cancer might stay at bay.

Murray is all class. Just a few things. Trades Fisher to Nashville. The best place for him possible with his then fiancee and now wife. He didn't need to do this. Kelly goes to a great squad in Boston. We can see this season how wise it was to resign Phillips.

I am old... I remember Murray from way back as Caps coach. He had been there and done that. Everything in the NHL.

I want a Cup all the more now, for Murray, before he can't be GM.

I love our organization. I love that Nielsen got to 1000 games coached here. I love that the team flew on the owner's private plane to Neil's mothers funeral.

You can't retire a coach/GM's # but Murray needs to be raised to the rafters here. He is from the Ottawa valley. He coached us to the finals. He built this team. He lends us the class that helps keep this organization great.

Hoping he is around for a half dozen more years. Or more. Hopefully all with the Senators in some capacity.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Just watched the video... what's remarkable is his state of humility and up beat personality. How humble he still remains.

"Oh look Erik won it, we finally won a faceoff."

"You look at the kids with it and how can you feel sorry for yourself."

Man, Bryan you are an inspiration... I wish we win a cup for you, not even for the fans or for the players... just for you, man.

Oct 10, 2010
That video was extremely difficult to watch. :(

Hope the organization will do something special for him in the near future!

All the best to him and his family.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

If he responds well to Chemo & radiation, he could extend it a few years, yeah. Stage IV seems to have a 3-9 month prognosis without treatment, but a 6mo-~2yr prognosis with successful treatment. When I was googling it, I found some cases of a patient getting 3+ years, but those seem to be rare.

Attitude is half the battle in these things sometimes, and it seems like Murray is very positive, so that should help.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Very sorry to hear - my best wishes go out to Bryan and his family. Having had to deal with cancer a few times in our family, I do not envy them at this moment. It's an insidious disease.

King EK65

#KuldaApproved
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
I'm speechless.. Two family members of mine have passed away because of cancer, and hearing that Murray can't beat it makes me extremely sad. Best wishes to Bryan Murray.

GuidedRightly

Dec 3, 2013
Dubai
Very sad news. All my thoughts and prayers to his family and hope he fights through it. He has been great GM and I hope he sees our first cup!

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Man that's rough. Saw the steep decline of my uncle in the matter of a year first hand on account of melanoma. Not sure how this will manifest for him. Nasty disease. Wishing the best.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Hard to know if his GM duties help by "distracting" him or get it the way of pure focus on the healing part of the journey.

If he needs to, I hope he steps away with a Leave of Absence.

Worrying about how much to pay Methot or what trade is the right one may not be the best place for his reserves right now.

Real soldier BM is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad