News Article: Bryan Murray Has Stage Four Cancer, Terminal Diagnosis

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This makes me so sad.

Did Ottawa really not have a succession plan for a 70 year old?

Our organisations management is ridiculous some times.

Dude, dial it back a few notches, it's you who comes across as ridiculous, and in this thread of all threads. :shakehead

Here's a tip: Just because you aren't aware of something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

TM definitely was an option down the road, turns out he wanted to try something different/sooner. Obviously BM was supportive of the decision, and then made some changes to the future plan.

Enter Dorion...

While you fire off into the land of "BM is ridiculous because he doesn't have a secession plan" (because, you know, who do you think "management" is), the rational person would assume that he has a plan, and that he just hasn't shared it with you.

Originally they plan was likely one of two things. 1 - step down after the contract and mentor Dorion, or 2 - open the job up for competition.

Since option 1 is no longer the most likely scenario (though still could be), number 2 is the most likely now, with Murray hiring a successor when it's time. The other option would be to let Dorion run it, which is not likely.

This response was a bit harsh, but your post was insensitive, especially given the thread topic, and displayed a sincere lake of tact, not to mention an understanding of how thing work beyond the scope of you initial sphere of information.

In future, read what you post first, and think...

ECBBW

Jun 29, 2014
Sydney
Hey guys, Wings fan here.
Just thought I'd drop by with some well wishes for Mr Murray. No matter what you think of the job he's done, this guy must have been a fixture of the Sens world for you guys, and hearing something like this must be upsetting for many of you. Cancer is just a horrible disease ( my aunt was just cleared after being told to plan for Christmas for the end, which was great) but it seems for Mr Murray there aren't any miracles. I hope he is able to enjoy and make the most of whatever time he has left.
I realise I was a bit late here and I apologise for bumping the thread.

All the best.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
A little surprised we have not heard from Melnyk specifically on the subject. Maybe I missed it.

At some point Bryan will want to step away, and it would be nice if he got the blessing of the owner to do this on his own terms. Create a special advisor position for when he wants it.

Roger Neilsen was given the chance to coach his last games making it to 1000 when Jacques Martin stepped aside for them. We should find something to honour Bryan so that he knows we all cheer his lifetime of hockey investment, and especially here "at home".

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
A little surprised we have not heard from Melnyk specifically on the subject. Maybe I missed it.

At some point Bryan will want to step away, and it would be nice if he got the blessing of the owner to do this on his own terms. Create a special advisor position for when he wants it.

Roger Neilsen was given the chance to coach his last games making it to 1000 when Jacques Martin stepped aside for them. We should find something to honour Bryan so that he knows we all cheer his lifetime of hockey investment, and especially here "at home".

This was already going to happen. He was going to run out the GM contract then get the advisor position afterward. Just call the press gallery the "Bryan Murray Memorial Gallery" or something.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Being as selfless a person as I've heard Mr. Murray is, I'm sure he has been working with Mr. Melnyk and the rest of the management team in the background as to what the plan is for after the tragic inevitability happens. Nobody (nobody reasonable anyway) would blame him if he stepped down right after his diagnosis so he could spend as much time as possible of what he has left with his family and friends, but I think he wants to work as long as he can, to keep his mind off of it. In any case, anyone bashing our management team for not having a secession plan for Mr. Murray really needs to know their role and shut their damn mouth. We're talking about a man's life here.

All the best to Mr. Bryan Murray. We all thank you for all you have done for this city, team, and organization. And when the time comes, we all hope you rest in peace.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
How about we don't bury Murray yet and let him work and be our GM as long as possible? Probably the best scenario to keep him focused on his joy and not on his illness. Respect. Murray has earned the chance to do whatever he wants at this point. GM, president or advisor. Whatever he wants until he says he can't.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah, we did have a succession plan.

It was Tim, and he bailed.

I'm aware, shame on us for not recognising wondering eye syndrome and for re-uping someone's whos already maxed out his CPP.

This should not have been the policy regardless of any unforseen diagnoses.

Last edited:

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
First Roger Neilson, now Bryan Murray. Its sad to watch venerable war horses like these two be taken from the Senators family.

"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die" Fight on Bryan fight on

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm aware, shame on us for not recognising wondering eye syndrome and for re-uping someone's whos already maxed out his CPP.

This should not have been the policy regardless of any unforseen diagnoses.

Perhaps BM is the better gm, has TM done anything to date that would indicate that we should have dumped BM for him?

I wonder if you have considered that maybe TM wanted to go it alone for the first time, and that buffalo is a perfect situation to be in for a rookie gm; low expectations, wealthy owner, great fans, and ready to start a brand new rebuild. It's a much better situation than Ottawa from every angle.

Why are you circling Murray in the cancer thread again?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Ideas for....
A little bit better each day

Replace animals and animal by-products with plant based foods(lots of greens) that work well in your body
Do your best to eliminate refined sugars from your diet
Drink more water, (white) tea
Replace smoking with a healthy habit
Stay active, don't sit down, stretch, massage
Spend more time outside
Work on developing a low stress daily routine
Learn new things you are interested in
Build a quiet, dark room you can sleep comfortably in for 8 hours without distraction
Breathe full deep breaths
Take care of yourself, take care of others, laugh and have fun
It will get a little bit better each day

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Ideas for....

Replace animals and animal by-products with plant based foods(lots of greens) that work well in your body
Spend more time outside
Build a quiet, dark room you can sleep comfortably in for 8 hours without distraction

All very good advice!

Just to add one thing:
Check in with your doctor on a regular basis. A little more frequently as you get older.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Ideas for....

Spend more time outside

All good advice indeed but what is white tea?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Ideas for....

[x] Replace animals and animal by-products with plant based foods(lots of greens) that work well in your body
[x] Do your best to eliminate refined sugars from your diet
[x] Drink more water, (white) tea
[] Replace smoking with a healthy habit
[x] Stay active, don't sit down, stretch, massage
[x] Spend more time outside
[x] Work on developing a low stress daily routine
[] Learn new things you are interested in
[x] Build a quiet, dark room you can sleep comfortably in for 8 hours without distraction
[] Breathe full deep breaths
[] Take care of yourself, take care of others, laugh and have fun

Ugh, I'm not doing so well on my list.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
THN: Murray Continuing To Live In The Moment

Murray prefers to live in the moment even though it is impossible not to consider his own mortality.

“We have a young player, Curtis Lazar, who I believe is going to be a star,” Murray said. “Would I ever like to be around in four years when he becomes the player I know he is going to be. I won’t be, but that’s the type of thing that has driven me and kept me in the game.”

Oosh. Sharp focus.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'm hoping they put Murray's banner to the rafters while he is still here to acknowledge it.

I assume he will move further away from his duties as time marches on.

Still hope he makes that one or two tweaks that the team needs to move toward the next years when Lazar will be a big part of it.

Instead of pesky they can be called Murray's Boys.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Don't want to be preparing the successor while BM is still running the team but Ray Shero has been spotted at least 2 times in the pressbox. He's friends with Cyril and was working in Ottawa a long time ago.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Don't want to be preparing the successor while BM is still running the team but Ray Shero has been spotted at least 2 times in the pressbox. He's friends with Cyril and was working in Ottawa a long time ago.

No need to feel guilty, it really is just heartbreaking. We can all assume that BM, as upbeat as he has been, has had open conversations about where the team is heading in terms of management.

I would bet the farm that he has had open conversation about when and who they should be looking at to replace him. This is much better than hushed conversations when he's not around, and really, that's the kind of guy BM seems to be.

We should assume that he has it covered, and just enjoy the time left we have with him rather than secretly worrying that he's going to leave us in the lurch.

When he's ready to back off, he will likely announce his replacement, and it will be a press conference filled with tears.

Let's not rush thoughts of that day :(

h2

Mar 26, 2002

Did not know this, thanks for the information. I'd be happy with Shero as a replacement.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
All good advice indeed but what is white tea?

I saw it at Loblaws. I was surprised too. It is white tea!

I tend to favour green tea or weak black tea or weak Chai tea. I like coffee in the morning but switch to tea and water after noon hour.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
No need to feel guilty, it really is just heartbreaking. We can all assume that BM, as upbeat as he has been, has had open conversations about where the team is heading in terms of management.

I would bet the farm that he has had open conversation about when and who they should be looking at to replace him. This is much better than hushed conversations when he's not around, and really, that's the kind of guy BM seems to be.

We should assume that he has it covered, and just enjoy the time left we have with him rather than secretly worrying that he's going to leave us in the lurch.

When he's ready to back off, he will likely announce his replacement, and it will be a press conference filled with tears.

Let's not rush thoughts of that day :(

Agreed.

Murray needs to be involved with the team as he battles cancer. It helps to take his mind off the issue and keeps his mind working on things he likes to do. Doing nothing is not a good choice at times like this. I wish him well and respect him for all he has done in Ottawa and elsewhere. And yes, I suspect he is looking at potential replacement candidates for when he is required by the illness to step aside or relinquish some or all of his duties.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think this should be a season where everyone who know Murray should focus on enjoying their time with him more than anything else. Not in an intrusive way, but wins are NOT the most important thing going on with this team right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad