Pre-Game Talk: Bruins vs Colorado Avalanche 10/10 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
The Yeti didn't come here to ride the pine after losing his spot due to his injury. He plays for either Caron or Smith and will only lose that if he under performs, not because of injury. If I was CJ, I would move Caron to the 4th line RW spot, sit Thornton and put Soderberg on 3rd line LW. That is a much better lineup than having Thornton in there.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
roy.gif

If this happened at the Bell Center....lawsuit time:sarcasm:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He surprised me. He looks really good. Doesn't look like a rookie at all out there.

watch him in the face off circle:sarcasm:

Huge Mack fan, big time struggles in the dot but your right, other than that, he`s played very well

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
The Yeti didn't come here to ride the pine after losing his spot due to his injury. He plays for either Caron or Smith and will only lose that if he under performs, not because of injury. If I was CJ, I would move Caron to the 4th line RW spot, sit Thornton and put Soderberg on 3rd line LW. That is a much better lineup than having Thornton in there.
I'd be all for sitting Thornton but only at the expense of a true upgrade. I don't see having Reilly Smith in over Thornton as any real improvement.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
I'd be all for sitting Thornton but only at the expense of a true upgrade. I don't see having Reilly Smith in over Thornton as any real improvement.

And you can judge that based on watching him play two games? I think Smith will be a very pleasant surprise. I think you sit Thornton before Smith. If Smith doesn't play well then put Thornton back in and slide Caron up to the 3rd.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
And you can judge that based on watching him play two games? I think Smith will be a very pleasant surprise. I think you sit Thornton before Smith. If Smith doesn't play well then put Thornton back in and slide Caron up to the 3rd.

Merlot line is widely known as one of the best, if not the best 4th line. I say don't fix it if ain't' broke.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Merlot line is widely known as one of the best, if not the best 4th line. I say don't fix it if ain't' broke.

It`s been two games and they`ve shown nothing...time for a change:sarcasm:

Not just known for but looked to as the model for a 4th, I`d wager more than a few teams have "tried" to follow the same recipe for success via the 4th line and most have come up miserably short in doing so

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
watch him in the face off circle:sarcasm:

Huge Mack fan, big time struggles in the dot but your right, other than that, he`s played very well

He could be seeing a lot of Kelly as well. Could be a really rough night for him.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He could be seeing a lot of Kelly as well. Could be a really rough night for him.

Ducks/Preds first two opponents, neither with the depth of this team, we`ll see. Again, I`ve watched both games, kids played hardly like a rookie outside of the faceoffs, just struggling with the skill of opponents on the draws right now

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

agree 100%

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
Based on what?

The 4th line is the best fourth in the game because it has two players that would be on the third line on most teams. Thornton is and always will be a 4th liner. You add another 3rd liner to a line with 3rd liners on it playing the 4th, it becomes better. It's not that difficult to grasp.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I wouldn't advocate permanently replacing Thornton on that line yet, but when facing teams that don't have any heavy hitters it makes sense to put Caron in that spot. What's the use in having all this depth and options if you don't use those options to match up with different style teams?

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I wouldn't advocate permanently replacing Thornton on that line yet, but when facing teams that don't have any heavy hitters it makes sense to put Caron in that spot. What's the use in having all this depth and options if you don't use those options to match up with different style teams?

Totally agree. With injuries and such it could also give Spooner more time to play as well. Love ya Thornton, but some guys need more playing time.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009

No, I agree with that statement.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
The 4th line is the best fourth in the game because it has two players that would be on the third line on most teams. Thornton is and always will be a 4th liner. You add another 3rd liner to a line with 3rd liners on it playing the 4th, it becomes better. It's not that difficult to grasp.

Go back to playing NHL 14.

qc

Aug 23, 2011

Yeah Brad Richards really elevated that 4th line in NY last year. :naughty:

You need to be of a certain mold to be a good 4th liner. Just because some players debut on the 4th to later become top liners (ie. Marshy), doesn't mean that using overqualified guys on a bottom line is a good idea. We're not talking about the Canadian Olympic team here.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Yeah Brad Richards really elevated that 4th line in NY last year. :naughty:

You need to be of a certain mold to be a good 4th liner. Just because some players debut on the 4th to later become top liners (ie. Marshy), doesn't mean that using overqualified guys on a bottom line is a good idea. We're not talking about the Canadian Olympic team here.

yes but the way Caron is playing lends to being successful on the 4th line for us. This isn't like saying Spooner would automatically make the 4th line better. Caron's a big kid who is strong on the boards, throws his body around and plays a strong cycle game. He'd likely fit in just fine with Campbell and Paille and provide an offensive upgrade over Thornton. You lose Thornton's leadership and physical presence to some extent, but that's why you don't scratch him forever, just when you don't need him to fight.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
yes but the way Caron is playing lends to being successful on the 4th line for us. This isn't like saying Spooner would automatically make the 4th line better. Caron's a big kid who is strong on the boards, throws his body around and plays a strong cycle game. He'd likely fit in just fine with Campbell and Paille and provide an offensive upgrade over Thornton. You lose Thornton's leadership and physical presence to some extent, but that's why you don't scratch him forever, just when you don't need him to fight.

Oh I agree with your take on Caron spot-starting on the 4th line if the matchup is good. I just don't buy hockeypbr's theory that if "you add another 3rd liner to a line with 3rd liners on it playing the 4th, it becomes better." There's more to it than that.

But as far as Caron for Thornton occasionally, I think it's a fine idea. Soupy Pie and JC could be pretty formidable out there.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Well, obviously you can't get a great read on a player after such a time. But by that same logic have you seen enough of Smith in these 2 games to say he's a better option to have in the lineup than Thornton? I don't think so, personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce