Proposal: Bruins Trade proposals VIII - MOD in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
A question for a resident insiders: do the Bruins believe they already have an in-house replacement for Bergeron and Krejci?

Do they have any sort of contingency plan for if one or both of those guys enters their steep decline next year or the year after?

To me it seems like the clock is ticking and now would be the time to either go all-in or start making plans to acquire said replacements.

No inside info but my gut says they think Studnicka can be a #2C with an outside chance of being a #1C. JFK & Frederic look like #3Cs with an outside chance at #2C. I don't think they have a #1C in the pipeline. They'll probably have to acquire one via trade or sign in the next 1-3 years. Which is why they were pursuing Tavares & Schenn.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
A question for a resident insiders: do the Bruins believe they already have an in-house replacement for Bergeron and Krejci?

Do they have any sort of contingency plan for if one or both of those guys enters their steep decline next year or the year after?

To me it seems like the clock is ticking and now would be the time to either go all-in or start making plans to acquire said replacements.

Obviously I'm no insider, but being that Boston was in on Tavares and looking to add Schenn (who plays C/W), I think the answer is no. Now obviously anything can happen (I mean who though Bergeron would be as good as he is), but I don't think Sweeney and Co are comfortable gambling on those guys. I mean when Bergy/Krejci hang it up (most likely) JFK, Frederic and Studnicka will all be in their early 20's. They'll be far from their prime and still developing most likely.

Reactions: maxl7

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
No inside info but my gut says they think Studnicka can be a #2C with an outside chance of being a #1C. JFK & Frederic look like #3Cs with an outside chance at #2C. I don't think they have a #1C in the pipeline. They'll probably have to acquire one via trade or sign in the next 1-3 years. Which is why they were pursuing Tavares & Schenn.
But Schenn isn't a legit 1C. And the likelihood of one being available in free agency again seems very, very low. Not sure there would be any answers available via trade, either. At least, not ones you can build around.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Obviously I'm no insider, but being that Boston was in on Tavares and looking to add Schenn (who plays C/W), I think the answer is no. Now obviously anything can happen (I mean who though Bergeron would be as good as he is), but I don't think Sweeney and Co are comfortable gambling on those guys. I mean when Bergy/Krejci hang it up (most likely) JFK, Frederic and Studnicka will all be in their early 20's. They'll be far from their prime and still developing most likely.

Right, so like, what is the plan for this organization? Pray that another Tavares-like UFA becomes available?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Right, so like, what is the plan for this organization? Pray that another Tavares-like UFA becomes available?

I mean a JT level center doesn't hit the market very often. I think the plan right now is to find a mid-20's top 6 center that can take over when Bergy/Krejci call it a career. Whether that be via UFA or a trade I have no idea. I don't think Boston is comfortable turning to some early 20's guys to take the reigns though.

member 96824

I remember two years ago it was replace JFK with xxxxxx….. Guys like Zboril, JFK and Bjork were deemed "untouchable" by many of us here...What a difference a couple years makes in prospect land.

Yes yes, and before that replace Spooner(guilty) and Knight with Caron and before that I dunno if I’d deal Colborne, he’s captain material..but this time it’s different ;)

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
I mean a JT level center doesn't hit the market very often. I think the plan right now is to find a mid-20's top 6 center that can take over when Bergy/Krejci call it a career. Whether that be via UFA or a trade I have no idea. I don't think Boston is comfortable turning to some early 20's guys to take the reigns though.

But that's my point. Tavares was a rarity, and unless more elite NHLers start waking up and going to market instead of re-upping with their hopeless franchises, another one isn't likely to be available.

But a mid-20's top six center is only gonna replace Krejci for you, at least, realistically. How do you get a legitimate 1C to replace Bergeron? You have to draft one. And it doesn't look like the Bruins have done that yet.

It just seems like the timelines are not going to match up even if everything goes perfectly, so I don't see why they're being so precious with their picks and prospects.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Yes yes, and before that replace Spooner(guilty) and Knight with Caron and before that I dunno if I’d deal Colborne, he’s captain material..but this time it’s different ;)

Wow there's some names from the past.

But, how dare you forget Karsums and Kalus 2/3 of the Killer Bee's

Camjams

Jul 6, 2018
I don’t think age has anything to do with it. Bergy Krejci Marchand and Lucic were all 25 and under when they won the Cup. If they are good enough they will trust them no matter what the age.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think this is the writing on the wall for at least Duchene and maybe Stone.

Melnyk is so far in debt and in such a bad place with the arena plan that I think he will keep only one if any. He needs to be a low budget team for a while to try to make some money. I think he gets a 1st, a prime prospect, a decent prospect, and another decent prospect or pick to try and make the fans forget about not losing their first this year. He can do that with either Duchene or Stone. He should keep one just to put seats in the stands, but if both want out, then he has no leverage. I suspect Donny is sitting on his hands to try and take a stab at whichever one is free.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
But Schenn isn't a legit 1C. And the likelihood of one being available in free agency again seems very, very low. Not sure there would be any answers available via trade, either. At least, not ones you can build around.

I think they view Schenn as a #2C & replacement for Krejci to bridge the gap years til the younger kids develop & they think Bergeron has 3-5 more good years left. They're probably going to have to try to trade a D for a #1C tbh in the next few years. Carlo, McAvoy, or UV is probably what it would take. But it all stems from their terrible drafting & decision making at the C position. Hamill & Colburne were swings & misses & then they traded the bridge year C (Seguin) where a 27 year old C would really come in handy about now. Then they inexplicably passed on centers in the 2015 draft. They have not managed that position well at all.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bruins GM basically has 2 weeks.I hope to God his plan is not hope a team falls out so he can then try to make a deal.I am hoping he has talks going now with an actual plan.Not saying your proposal is bad just that if they never fell out he would be left holding the soap thinking that way.
I really doubt that Donnie wants to stand pat but as others have said he's probably working on Ottawa waking up to the reality that Stone isn't coming back. If DS spends our assets on pieces that don't move the needle he's as good as fired iMO. If he waits (which is also a gamble) and Schenn or Stone become available and he gets one he's an overnight hero. It has to be killing him that he overestimated his youth last summer but in life we all get do-overs at some point.
Look, I'm upset at some of his decision making too. No doubt he made mistakes but as others have stated the B's are still in a position that brings them to the playoffs. Even if they finish in the last possible playoff spot they're still in. If they're in and are able to grab Stone, Duchene (I'm not crazy about) or Schenn we can do some surprising damage. I've come to accept that teams aren't ready to make moves until the eleventh hour, and that includes Dealer Don. I really think that within 36 hours (or minutes) of the Trade Deadline we'll see some interesting hopefully inspiring moves.
Turning on each other now (not referring to you Brad Park) is a waste of energy. We have around 18 days of this left and the suspense can be delicious!

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I feel like Adam Henrique is the guy to pursue now. Just moved up on TSN’s trade list.

He’s got an additional 5 years at 5.8 until he is 34...only 700k more than our beloved Brayden Schenn and will provide roughly the same offensive production as a 3C. He’s versatile as well and can play wing.

Where I think Anaheim stands right now maybe back on their heels with these long term contracts, feeling some pressure of moving him before that limited NTC kicks in and wanting to resign Silf could make getting him a little easier than you think - much less than Schenn for that matter.

Pure speculation on my part but I really hope Sweeney is checking in on him.

Reactions: Strafer

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Melnyk is so far in debt and in such a bad place with the arena plan that I think he will keep only one if any. He needs to be a low budget team for a while to try to make some money. I think he gets a 1st, a prime prospect, a decent prospect, and another decent prospect or pick to try and make the fans forget about not losing their first this year. He can do that with either Duchene or Stone. He should keep one just to put seats in the stands, but if both want out, then he has no leverage. I suspect Donny is sitting on his hands to try and take a stab at whichever one is free.

That's it and with Duchene contract talks being more centered around what direction the Sens are heading, this speaks volumes that more than likely Duchene will be wearing a different teams colors in the very near future.

Stone maybe, all depends on how much faith he has in Melynk, but I could also see Dzingel more than likely leaving as well. Its like he's pushing them out the door, why would 3 UFA want to resign knowing that the team isn't totally committed to winning until 2021 season

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I feel like Adam Henrique is the guy to pursue now. Just moved up on TSN’s trade list.

He’s got an additional 5 years at 5.8 until he is 34...only 700k more than our beloved Brayden Schenn and will provide roughly the same offensive production as a 3C. He’s versatile as well and can play wing.

Where I think Anaheim stands right now maybe back on their heels with these long term contracts, feeling some pressure of moving him before that limited NTC kicks in and wanting to resign Silf could make getting him a little easier than you think - much less than Schenn for that matter.

This is actually enticing.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I don’t think age has anything to do with it. Bergy Krejci Marchand and Lucic were all 25 and under when they won the Cup. If they are good enough they will trust them no matter what the age.

Bergeron had 4 season under his belt
Krejci had 3 seasons under his belt
Lucic had 3 seasons under his belt

Marchand was really the only one that didn't have much experience. I mean lets also not forget that cup team played out of their mind. TT put on one of the greatest playoff performances in the history of the NHL in order for us to win the cup. We had a prime Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Campbell, Peverley, Kelly, Ryder.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
But that's my point. Tavares was a rarity, and unless more elite NHLers start waking up and going to market instead of re-upping with their hopeless franchises, another one isn't likely to be available.

But a mid-20's top six center is only gonna replace Krejci for you, at least, realistically. How do you get a legitimate 1C to replace Bergeron? You have to draft one. And it doesn't look like the Bruins have done that yet.

It just seems like the timelines are not going to match up even if everything goes perfectly, so I don't see why they're being so precious with their picks and prospects.

Lets be honest, how many teams have a legit #1C to the level of Bergeron?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
I'm down for Henrique. Maybe he helps lure Hall as a UFA too. What would he cost though with that contract kicking in next season? Is he worth a 1st + a roster player?

That's certainly a golden opportunity to capitalize on another team's crunch. They may be wanting to clear space to sign Silfverberg and are kind of stuck with Kesler. Jump on it.

Reactions: Strafer

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I was thinking the same thing last night when I saw Koivu was out for the year. I was lurking on the Wild board back in December when I thought Staal might be a possibility and some of their fans indicated a need for young centers. I'm awful at proposals, so this is more a question than a proposal, but would something around JFK for Staal make sense?

if a 2nd and JFK did it, that'd be great. not sure it's enough, although i believe JFK was greenway's center at BU,
so that has to be a plus.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
The faster we get toffoli the faster we jump the habs and possibly jump over leafs. Get it done Donny. Huge toffoli fan here . It won't cost a 1st round pick I'm sure. Package of grez and danton should get it done.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

i'm not really on board for henrique. not that he's a bad player, but i'd rather land a RW that's long term since
there is nobody really knocking on the door in that position with regard to our prospects. senyshyn is close but
he'll probably start in a bottom 6 role. give me a RW with some term and give me a C that's a straight rental.
frederic and studnicka are both very close, and at least 1 should be ready to handle 3c next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad