Proposal: Bruins Trade proposals VI - MOD in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Have those deals really paid that much dividends?

Boychuk gave them Carlo (200 GP) but the other pick went to TB for the non-tendered Connolly (76 GP).

Lucic translated into the expansion casualty Colin Miller (103 GP), a 4th line C in Sean Kuraly (133 games), and two prospects with a combined 4 games in the NHL (Frederic and Zboril).

Hamilton right now has resulted in three prospects with a combined 44 NHL games (JFK 29, Lauzon 15, Senyshyn 0).

So here we are 4 1/3 years since Boychuk was dealt, and 3 and 2/3 years since Hamilton and Lucic.

And they have just 560 man-games since to show for those 3 traded players. Now factor in 379 games have passed since Boychuk was dealt and 297 since Lucic and Hamilton, what have the Bruins really gotten up to this point?

2 full-time skaters on a 18-skater line-up give or take?

Now these could easily look like fantastic moves further down the road, but right now the jury is still out on the return Sweeney got for Lucic and Hamilton. I wonder if he knew at the time he would have so little to show in terms of actual NHL contribution for those two deals here almost 4 years later would he still make those moves? I'm going to say no.

Really? Cause Hamilton, Luch and even Chuck have done nothing and would make this team way worse if they were still here.

Loved Looch and Boychuk but the return was fair. Never liked Dougie and he's shown what he really is, a bum.

Reactions: Strafer

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What does watching him in person tell you that you couldn't otherwise glean from his statistical and video history? That he can play well with Duchene, like a zillion other players?

That's not the only reason they go. Scouts are always at games. However if GM, Asst GM and Capologist is going theres a lot more to it than just watching a guy. That's why seeing who exactly attends is most important.

Typically, if serious interest, yeah they want to see up close . Also face to face with counter parts GM, Asst GM & Capologist.

The there's collateral discussions , many times, on who else may be included and cash aspects of things. Permission to talk to agents.

If FO people are going it isn't as a fan .

Reactions: 22Brad Park

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Have those deals really paid that much dividends?

Boychuk gave them Carlo (200 GP) but the other pick went to TB for the non-tendered Connolly (76 GP).

Lucic translated into the expansion casualty Colin Miller (103 GP), a 4th line C in Sean Kuraly (133 games), and two prospects with a combined 4 games in the NHL (Frederic and Zboril).

Hamilton right now has resulted in three prospects with a combined 44 NHL games (JFK 29, Lauzon 15, Senyshyn 0).

So here we are 4 1/3 years since Boychuk was dealt, and 3 and 2/3 years since Hamilton and Lucic.

And they have just 560 man-games since to show for those 3 traded players. Now factor in 379 games have passed since Boychuk was dealt and 297 since Lucic and Hamilton, what have the Bruins really gotten up to this point?

2 full-time skaters on a 18-skater line-up give or take?

Now these could easily look like fantastic moves further down the road, but right now the jury is still out on the return Sweeney got for Lucic and Hamilton. I wonder if he knew at the time he would have so little to show in terms of actual NHL contribution for those two deals here almost 4 years later would he still make those moves? I'm going to say no.

I think those are great dividends. The alternative was cap hell. I'm not really sure it's fair to break down Senyshyn, Zboril and Debrusk separately either. We have no idea which one the Bruins would have taken if they only had one pick (my guess is that it would have been Zboril, given the D situation at the time). So you could probably add Debrusk to that list.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
You could look at in another way too.

Even disregarding that both LA and Chicago won 1 cup each post-2013, the Kings have the same number of playoff DNQs as the Bruins do in the same time frame (2), and the Hawks have only missed once.

Granted both will likely add to that number this year, but at this stage so could the Bruins.

Absolutely. And ironically my first stab at that post was to say look where the three teams are, and how they’ve fallen from the elite...lol. I refrained since the B’s are in the hunt for a post season spot. But you can seriously take that view.

Reactions: BruinDust

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
Doesn't Panarin seem a little demanding and prima donna-ish with his wants and needs? Would he really be a good fit for the Bruins?

(We are unbelievably spoiled with classy players here in Boston like Patrice Bergeron)

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Do you really "know" what Dzingel is? Is seems to be having a breakout year, so which Dzingel is the real Dzingel?

I think that's part of the allure. He's 26 years old so you get him and find out. If he's a good fit then you have the inside track on re-signing him. If you look at the history of good pickups at the deadline, there are a lot of guys who teams picked up and signed long-term. Meanwhile, the guys who are straight UFAs have a lot more risk.

So maybe you overpay a bit for Dzingle but there's a value in not making a huge mistake with a free agent.

The other thing to like about him is that he plays all 3 forward positions. Ottawa fans claim he has no problems on RW so he could go there or if the Bruins can get another RW at the deadline, he can drop down to 3C.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
A better question is: What do you want to give up for Dzingle?

My guess is the Bruins don't want to part with picks... so it's someone like Lauzon, Celharik, Bjork, Zboril, Clifton or JFK. If the Bruins could swing it for JFK and Zboril, I'd do it. I don't think those guys have room to grow in Boston.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think that's part of the allure. He's 26 years old so you get him and find out. If he's a good fit then you have the inside track on re-signing him. If you look at the history of good pickups at the deadline, there are a lot of guys who teams picked up and signed long-term. Meanwhile, the guys who are straight UFAs have a lot more risk.

So maybe you overpay a bit for Dzingle but there's a value in not making a huge mistake with a free agent.

The other thing to like about him is that he plays all 3 forward positions. Ottawa fans claim he has no problems on RW so he could go there or if the Bruins can get another RW at the deadline, he can drop down to 3C.

He's not a center. The guy barley takes face-offs and when he does he's awful at it. Without looking it up, I'm pretty sure he's a sub 40% FO winning%

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The thing that I find funny is the idea of scouting individual players who have been in the league for quite a while. You *KNOW* what Mark Stone is. You *KNOW* what Duchene is. Hell, you even *KNOW* what Dzingel is. What is there to scout? Not to mention the hundreds of hours of easily accessible and reviewable game tape, and the mountains of data you an pour through and analyze. Are you seriously going to let one (or even a handful of) in-person viewing(s) alter your perception of the player?

Kinda silly.

Anyways, Stone, Duchene or bust, in my opinion.

I think there is more to scout with Duchene, honestly. How do you think he will fit with player X. Lets hone in on Y. Yada yada.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What does watching him in person tell you that you couldn't otherwise glean from his statistical and video history? That he can play well with Duchene, like a zillion other players?

Sorry, but its a giant red flag to me when a player goes from career averages that put him at a 17G/18A player over 82 games, to a guy whose 82g OPT puts him at 34G/30A and oh it just so happens to be a contract year for the guy.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Doesn't Panarin seem a little demanding and prima donna-ish with his wants and needs? Would he really be a good fit for the Bruins?

(We are unbelievably spoiled with classy players here in Boston like Patrice Bergeron)

I think the writing is on the wall with him and Florida. Miami checks a lot of checkboxes for him and not they have cleared plenty of cap space.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Are you sure that you didn't look it up? He's at 39.76% this season. :)

Just now? no, but this also isn't the first time I've talk about why I don't want Dzingel lol. I knew it was under 40%, I just didn't want to throw out an exact number because I knew I wasn't sure.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Dzingel has had a nice steady ppg progression over his first 4 years in the league. He could be a solid player for the next few years if he settles in at the 50-60 point range.

cut.jpg

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Either Duchene or Dzingel (or both eek) would be great adds. Assume either would be potential re-sign candidates. Dzingel could be a buying high risk mind you

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
That's not the only reason they go. Scouts are always at games. However if GM, Asst GM and Capologist is going theres a lot more to it than just watching a guy. That's why seeing who exactly attends is most important.

Typically, if serious interest, yeah they want to see up close . Also face to face with counter parts GM, Asst GM & Capologist.

Fair enough. That makes more sense than just going to view a guy in-person. Still kind of a silly way of doing business, though.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This is a hard place to please. It's Panarin, Stone or bust here.

I have no problem with Dzingle. Of all the guys available, he's the one that would be most attractive to re-sign. And you get a chance to see if he fits before you commit the $.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Dzingel has had a nice steady ppg progression over his first 4 years in the league. He could be a solid player for the next few years if he settles in at the 50-60 point range.

That's first line production. Not sure that's a reasonable expectation for a guy like him.

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
This is a hard place to please. It's Panarin, Stone or bust here.

I have no problem with Dzingle. Of all the guys available, he's the one that would be most attractive to re-sign. And you get a chance to see if he fits before you commit the $.

I think it's because the Bruins are still playing catch-up to Tampa and the Leafs in terms of roster quality. A decent middle-six option doesn't seem like it will tip the scales all that much. You probably need another game-breaker to play when the first line is off the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad