Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
continued from here:

Proposal: - Bruins Trade proposals V - MOD in OP

Please stay on subject and try to have some reasoning behind your proposals.

Why team(s) do this, CAP, NMC, NTC, etc....

If the few of you insist on flaming each other take it to PM with each other.

This is NOT to discuss past drafts.

Do not post rumors without reputable link or be prior vetted as an insider.

Going forward there will be warnings and bans.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Personally I don't think it's going to fly with ownership either.

If Sweeney sits on his hands at the deadline and by some chance the Bruins miss the playoffs or get bounced quick, you'd have to start to wonder about his job security after almost 4 years at the helm. Neely too.

It'll fly with ownership if there's an actual plan in place to move forward. That remains to be seen. If I've got a reasonable degree of confidence that we are going to use the summer to re-tool our middle 6 forward group, then I'm fine with whatever happens this year. If not, then changes need to be made in the front office.

Tampa killed us last year on our middle 6 match ups. Toronto got better there and Washington is set as well.....and we don't have either Nash this year. Can anyone honestly say our middle 6 is better than last year? I'd argue its significantly worse, and adding 1-2 players, probably above market at the deadline, isn't going to solve the problem.

Reactions: Estlin

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It'll fly with ownership if there's an actual plan in place to move forward. That remains to be seen. If I've got a reasonable degree of confidence that we are going to use the summer to re-tool our middle 6 forward group, then I'm fine with whatever happens this year. If not, then changes need to be made in the front office.

Tampa killed us last year on our middle 6 match ups. Toronto got better there and Washington is set as well.....and we don't have either Nash this year. Can anyone honestly say our middle 6 is better than last year? I'd argue its significantly worse, and adding 1-2 players, probably above market at the deadline, isn't going to solve the problem.

What's going to change next year?

Neither of them are looking to get worse next season and there are teams who should be on the rise.

This is a pretty damm good deadline to look at adding longterm help to Boston, while trying to do something in the playoffs this season.

Soon we'll be talking here with Bergeron 35, Krejci 34y& Chara gone without having any answers to real problems.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017

Tampa killed us last year on our middle 6 match ups. Toronto got better there and Washington is set as well.....and we don't have either Nash this year. Can anyone honestly say our middle 6 is better than last year. I'd argue its significantly worse, and adding 1-2 players, probably above market at the deadline, isn't going to solve the problem.
As long as they pick a street I’m fine either way.

If they decide to go all in then do it. Sell your soul for 2 or 3 impact forwards, rentals even and go balls to the wall for the next year and a half. Fans aren’t dumb. They’ll be well aware a period of suckage will come soon after that.

Or start chipping away at the vets. Marchand, Krejci, whoever. Sell those guys (when the prices are apparently high) and you can rebuild in two years.

Just don’t sign Stempniak and try and convince people you’re adding depth for the cup run. I’ll buy a Leaf jersey if they do that. Help plan the parade route even.

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Didn't he sell them on a plan 4 years ago? You mean there hasn't been a "plan" all this time?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The more I think about the TDL, I keep thinking about Sweeney & Co ability to "restock the cupboards" in such a short time frame. If you think that Sweeney and Co can continue to find quality players in the draft year after year, then you sell on some of these guys now.

- If you get Schenn, its going to make one of JFK/Frederic/Studnicka expendable (assuming you get him with an ext.)

-On the LHD, you have Krug, Grz, Moore, Lauzon, Vaak. of course then you have Chara whose year to year, Zboril whose still got upside. With that, you could afford to move (at minimum) one of Grz, Moore, Lauzon & Zboril (IMO Vaak is not available)

-On the wings you have some guys that can play either LW/RW (most it seems can) so I'm going to group them all together (excluding "4th line" players)

Marchand, Pasta, DeBrusk, Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik, Senyshyn, Lauko

The first 3 guys are pretty much locks. That' leaves 3 spots for Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Cheliark, Senyshyn and Lauko to battle for. You could trade 2/3 of these guys and still be ok. Not to mention if you go out and get a Stone via UFA, it makes another spot unavailable. Of course Schenn (if acquired) could play wing as well

So here are the assets I would make available to make a deal (personal opinion)

Grz
Moore
Zboril
Heinen
JFK*
Bjork*
Donato*
Cehlarik
Senyshyn**

*Players that it pains me to move, but for the right deal you move them
**Only move if you find another right shoot RW to come in (i.e. Stone)

Reactions: Tbaybruin

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
In response to Playmakers post in previous thread:

They have prospects I like, just not the college line. Heinen, JFK and too a degree Donato don't look like NHL players. I know players can develop slower than others players but I just don't see any impact here. Frederic, Studnicka (from what I have heard) Senyshyn, and Vaak still look like top end prospects. If they manage to get 4 players from the current crop of prospects as NHL regulars that would be great. I don't want Sweeney relying on those 4 next season either, they need to work prospects in but they need to have them more prepared.

I like the development of Senyshyn, leave him in the minors and let him learn the game, they should have done the same with JFK, Heinen and Donato. Being the force of pure positive energy that I am ask how many prospects have the Oilers wrecked opposed to Detroit who take their time with prospects. Counting on first and second year players is too risky in most cases, especially for a team that looks as itself as a contender. How many Hamill's have the Bruins picked compared to Pastrnak's?

Time to fish or cut bait with some of the kids. You can't keep them all, they don't all make it. Bring in some established, long term talent not question marks.
If they had a line up next year of:
Marchand-Bargeron-Pastrnak
Ferland-Krecji-Toffoli
DeBrusk-Schenn-Dzingel
Crouse-Frederic-Senyshyn

Backes gets moved with a prospect in a salary dump, Carolina has cap space as do Colorado, Vegas and Nashville. You use Heinen, Grizz, JFK, Zboril, Donato and Kuraly to bring in Toffoli and Schenn. Sign Dzingel and Ferland.

You start to work in your rookies in Senyshyn and Fredric in non vital rolls, when Krejci goes you promote Schenn. Frederic is hopefully ready to take the 3C spot then and you move Studnicka into 4C. Vaak can spend the year in Providence with injury call ups. Take your time with your prospects, figure out if they can play before handing them roster spots.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
As long as they pick a street I’m fine either way.

If they decide to go all in then do it. Sell your soul for 2 or 3 impact forwards, rentals even and go balls to the wall for the next year and a half. Fans aren’t dumb. They’ll be well aware a period of suckage will come soon after that.

Or start chipping away at the vets. Marchand, Krejci, whoever. Sell those guys (when the prices are apparently high) and you can rebuild in two years.

Just don’t sign Stempniak and try and convince people you’re adding depth for the cup run. I’ll buy a Leaf jersey if they do that. Help plan the parade route even.

But I think they DID pick a plan, and that's why they made such conservative trade deadline moves the past several years...not wanting to part with what they viewed as valuable assets.

What's transpired though is those prospects have not developed as anticipated. We know how 2015's 1st round draft went, no need to play what if there. Further, I have to imagine there was a serious expectation that 2 of Bjork, Donato, Heinen, Seny, JFK would be impact players on ELCs, and there's not been a significant impact from that bunch. I still like the D prospects, and think Zboril and Lauzon could play in this league now, and that Urho will eventually challenge Charlie as the best young d-man on the big club.

It's a tough call now how to move forward, but for me it's pretty much go for it now and next year, or admit you're not going to go for it, and start picking away at the core, as you've suggested. Krejci's cap hit is an issue. Marchand would bring a significant return, but how does Sweeney move a player of that skill level and without waving the white flag? A little early for that bold of a move, I think, but what a difference a year can make.

I've said proposed this before...go for it now, try and get hot and go deep in the playoffs, and if it falters, reassess next year, and if the team looks no better? Ask Bergie if he'd like a run at another Cup with a contender and start the rebuild.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Toronto makes one trade and fans are ready to fire everyone. I wish you would step back from that ledge my friend.

They addressed a major weakness on their roster, on top of adding a franchise C in his prime last summer.

That tends to hurt.

Edit, let's look around, just the Atlantic.
In the last year Tampa has added McDonagh+ Miller, Toronto Tavares+ Muzzin, Florida Hoffman, Buffalo Skinner, Montreal Domi+ Tatar.
Some cheap, some free, some for quality value.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
But I think they DID pick a plan, and that's why they made such conservative trade deadline moves the past several years...not wanting to part with what they viewed as valuable assets.

What's transpired though is those prospects have not developed as anticipated. We know how 2015's 1st round draft went, no need to play what if there. Further, I have to imagine there was a serious expectation that 2 of Bjork, Donato, Heinen, Seny, JFK would be impact players on ELCs, and there's not been a significant impact from that bunch. I still like the D prospects, and think Zboril and Lauzon could play in this league now, and that Urho will eventually challenge Charlie as the best young d-man on the big club.

It's a tough call now how to move forward, but for me it's pretty much go for it now and next year, or admit you're not going to go for it, and start picking away at the core, as you've suggested. Krejci's cap hit is an issue. Marchand would bring a significant return, but how does Sweeney move a player of that skill level and without waving the white flag? A little early for that bold of a move, I think, but what a difference a year can make.

I've said proposed this before...go for it now, try and get hot and go deep in the playoffs, and if it falters, reassess next year, and if the team looks no better? Ask Bergie if he'd like a run at another Cup with a contender and start the rebuild.

your last sentence has made me dislike you forever, don`t go there:thumbd: The rest of your post:thumbu:

Reactions: CaperJay

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017

Exactly. Pick a direction and commit to it. The wishy-washy approach doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help you compete now and it doesn't help you get better in the future, it just sustains mediocrity. If you don't want to rebuild because you feel like you "owe it" to Bergeron and Chara and the other vets, then mortgage the future and improve now. If you want to rebuild and restock, then move guys out. Either approach is fine with me, but pretending like the middle-of-the-road approach is doing this organization any favors is honestly baffling.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Exactly. Pick a direction and commit to it. The wishy-washy approach doesn't help anyone. It doesn't help you compete now and it doesn't help you get better in the future, it just sustains mediocrity. If you don't want to rebuild because you feel like you "owe it" to Bergeron and Chara and the other vets, then mortgage the future and improve now. If you want to rebuild and restock, then move guys out. Either approach is fine with me, but pretending like the middle-of-the-road approach is doing this organization any favors is honestly baffling.

I am not disagreeing with you however perhaps offering a different reason/concern they have going all in on a rebuild. Unlike the Leafs, this team has a fan base that has shown that they will not fill seats if the product on the ice is garbagio, some here either have forgotten or may be a touch younger that they weren`t quite yet followers of the Bruins about a time, just pre-Chia/Julien where there were literally thousands of empty seats in the barn.

Spoken many times here about trips I took to Boston to catch games, purchased a few upper bowl tickets due to price, easily slid down to nice comfortable lower bowl seats. While it is always a good day when I can watch my favorite team live, there were a few years there where the rink was a ghost town. Fans in Boston get hockey and I think they`d understand if their team was or went into a rebuild mode but I also think they`d not show up to watch that team filling the stadium during it and for me, wondering if that might be something the execs calling the shots are thinking about?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Very well thought out (recent) history lesson here! ^^^^
If I were in a coma for a few years and just woke up this pretty much would catch
me up with the Bruins situation and how they got here.
I don't think that Bergy would ever want to leave here for another Cup. If he never won the
cup I could see it but I doubt that another SC would trump retiring a Boston Bruin for him.
He's a loyal, classy guy and that counts for something.
Krejci on the other hand, while still a great Bruin and a warrior playoff performer I could see leaving for greener pastures or if the Bruins decide an upgrade is in order OR if they trade for and extend Schenn and/or Stone, then you trade DK for a 1st and a prospect (at least) if possible and don't look back.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

Colorado, you get the Ottawa first, that really kicks in the rebuild, it should be a top 5 pick even with the lottery, you may not get Hughes but you should get an impact player.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Very well thought out (recent) history lesson here! ^^^^
If I were in a coma for a few years and just woke up this pretty much would catch me up with
the Bruins situation and how they got here.
I don't think that Bergy would ever want to leave here for another Cup. If he never won the
cup I could see it but I doubt that another SC would trump retiring a Boston Bruin for him.
He's a loyal, classy guy and that counts for something.
Krejci on the other hand, while still a great Bruin and a warrior playoff performer I could see leaving for greener pastures or if the Bruins decide an upgrade is in order OR if the trade for and extend Schenn and/or Stone, then you trade DK for a 1st and a prospect (at least) if possible and don't look back.

How about Don Sweeney just do his damn job and add the 2 pieces up front for a run?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
BTW: To those who say that the reaction to the Muzzin trade is an "over-reaction."
I can see (even) Tampa Lightning management sitting up and taking notice of it.
Muzzin changes a lot of dynamics in the East IMO.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
What's going to change next year?

Neither of them are looking to get worse next season and there are teams who should be on the rise.

This is a pretty damm good deadline to look at adding longterm help to Boston, while trying to do something in the playoffs this season.

Soon we'll be talking here with Bergeron 35, Krejci 34y& Chara gone without having any answers to real problems.

To me this is the issue and it's been my issue all along. What's the window?

I think the disconnect here is either with the grand strategy ("be competitive nearly every year with the hopes of getting lucky at some point" vs. "be competitive but strike while the iron is hot") or with the quality of our prospects. Is management content to just hang around every year and hope to get lucky, or do they have urgency to build top-level teams? I honestly do NOT know the answer.

My belief is that Patrice Bergeron is the best player in this organization and nobody on the Bruins roster nor in the system will be as good as him. I would NOT let Bergeron age quietly. Also, I do NOT believe we have the quality of prospects IN THE NEXT 2-3 years who will turn this roster into one with holes vs. one that's loaded. Now some folks who are bullish on those prospects might disagree and insist that these kids will be key players in the immediate future and Bergeron will still be stud when they're making big impacts, but I don't see it. I see the next real Cup run on the backs of the key guys we have right now, and I think they need real help right now.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Whatd' want, everything? LOL.:laugh::sarcasm:

Isn't it enough that he made trades in the summer of '15?:sarcasm:

That is funny.:laugh: He has 28 days left from basically a year of knowing this teams 2 big holes .He better fix it or the backlash he will see will be like no other he has ever felt is my bet.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Good post. Bergy and Chara and others get paid a ton to play a game ,you owe then nothing. Some fans still don't get it, this team is a long way away from winning a cup with its roster dynamic.

Top heavy, mediocre bottom 7 skill. A nice prospect pool but with nothing eye popping either. We have ageing expensive goaltending and in my humble opinion coaches that seems to be in over their heads on making in game adjustments.

To me this is the worst place to be, a middle of the road team that will be picking in the middle of the first round. I have zero confidence in the front office to pull of an actual hockey trade that improves the team enough to make any difference this year.

Ride it out and make some moves in the offseason.

Reactions: Baddkarma

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
BTW: To those who say that the reaction to the Muzzin trade is an "over-reaction."
I can see (even) Tampa Lightning management sitting up and taking notice of it.
Muzzin changes a lot of dynamics in the East IMO.

Doesn’t really change anything for the Bruins, though. They still have to address the same needs

Reactions: 22Brad Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad