Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Ryan White to PTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Keeping or losing Tyler Randell is no where near as important as screwing up deals involving guys like Hamilton and Lucic or over reaching on first round picks.

IMO there are a lot more minuses in the Sweeney regime thus far than pluses. If his biggest issue was his inability to find a solid fourth line grinder that can fight I would not be thrilled with him but that doesn't effect the future of your franchise or alter it's basic structure like some of his deals.

Which are? Only Provorov has played more games at D than Carlo from the 2015 draft...DeBrusk is right there among forward development after the top 6 picks. McAvoy is one of three first round defenders to be playing for his parent club from the 2016 draft..Inked core members Krug, Marchand and Pastrnak to wonderful deals...Someone got Bjork to sign when you and lots others figured he was going to pull a Vesey...

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
K.Miller did fine in his tussle and Schaller did the right thing and gets props for going after a much bigger player and better fighter.

I still say for a fourth line player getting 9-11 minutes a night Ryan white should be added to the rotation of the 12-14 forwards. If he never drops his gloves, based purely on every other facet of his game he makes the fourth line better.

As far as Tyler Randell goes, if Frank Vatrano had his hockey sense he would be a 30 goal scorer. Randell plays a smart game, not just for his role but for any player, his skating is what has kept him from being a regular in the NHL. Again looking at the make up of the fourth line and extra forwards he would be a welcome addition, more than White. Was a decent scorer in juniors and once he dropped weight after his first pro season he became a good minor league player who is a fringe NHL player. For all the love players who are the equivalent to 4 A baseball players get who are "fast and skilled" just not fast and skilled enough or lacking in another area of the game Randell meets that criteria, just his stumbling block is his skating.

Tyler Randell is a AAAA level player too.

I know you don't like Vatrano, but if were comparing the hockey sense of Randell to Vatrano, just look at their goal totals in the AHL

Randell - 19 goals in 260 games

Vatrano - 40 goals in 46 games

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that Vatrano's hockey sense has something to do with him outpacing Randell's goal output at a about an 9:1 ratio.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I know you don't like Vatrano, but if were comparing the hockey sense of Randell to Vatrano, just look at their goal totals in the AHL

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and say that Vatrano's hockey sense has something to do with him outpacing Randell's goal output at a about an 9:1 ratio.

I'm shocked his "hockey sense" hasn't allowed him to have more than 27 assists in 235 AHL games.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm shocked his "hockey sense" hasn't allowed him to have more than 27 assists in 235 AHL games.

Amazing isn't it, how such a smart hockey player hasn't been able to even produce assists at the AHL level.

Sad thing is, I liked Randell when he was in Boston, but came to realize eventually he wasn't really an NHL caliber player.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Keeping or losing Tyler Randell is no where near as important as screwing up deals involving guys like Hamilton and Lucic or over reaching on first round picks.

IMO there are a lot more minuses in the Sweeney regime thus far than pluses. If his biggest issue was his inability to find a solid fourth line grinder that can fight I would not be thrilled with him but that doesn't effect the future of your franchise or alter it's basic structure like some of his deals.

Lucic deal was a great return? So what are you talking about there. Hamilton didn't want to be here. They offered him similar contracts to what he took in Calgary. He ended up drafting well with all 3 picks? Once again...Missing the issue you have. Overreaching on 1st round picks...I take it you're referring to Senyshyn, DeBrusk and Frederic? They only "overreached" because that's what was pumped to fans by the hockey media. I'd say JDB looks very good and will only get better. Senyshyn just started his first AHL season, and is coming off a solid junior career. He has big upside. Frederic is what you're always clamoring for and he's shown big upside as well.

Who were they 'supposed' to draft instead? Let's here the revisionist "should have taken X, Y, and Z" point...I love them!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Amazing isn't it, how such a smart hockey player hasn't been able to even produce assists at the AHL level.

Sad thing is, I liked Randell when he was in Boston, but came to realize eventually he wasn't really an NHL caliber player.

We all did. heck he would have fit perfectly in the league I grew up watching. Would even fit in the mid-2000's...He's just not an NHL player now. I get if you are a team that lacks overall toughness, but the Bruins don't. They have plenty of guys that will stand up, as Schaller exhibited last night, and Kevan Miller fought when challenged too. Dorsett and Gudbranson were the only two guys who would throw them on the Nucks, and we still had McQuaid and Chara.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

If Vatrano with his shot and release had Randells hockey IQ he would be a legitimate NHL caliber player, as it both are AAAA players. How has Vatrano been in the NHL, what is holding him back from reaching the potential he showed in the AHL?

Point I was making is Randell with Vatranos shot and release is an NHL player, Vatrano with Randells hockey sense is a NHL contributor.

I also don't think Vatrano has been terrible this year, the coaching staff seems to disagree with me.

Both players will probably never be more than fringe NHLers, I take the toughness over the guy who might score for the fourth line.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Same here; he didn't bring enough other than his fists. I feel like Ryan White is more than that, but not convinced it is enough to use a roster spot. We'll see I guess.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
That’s usually what I say when I bump into Dan at the Garden.

“That was DKH...I cant believe I met DKH.”

:laugh:
I'm actually shy the complete opposite here where I have confidence in anonymity.

as for Frank Vatrano he needs to play with confidence- he cant be happy to be in the NHL or look up and see Vanek or the Sedin's or Loui Eriksson (wait he did he play last night? I forgot about him, did they trade him?)

rooting for Frank, I like his skillset

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Lucic deal was a great return? So what are you talking about there. Hamilton didn't want to be here. They offered him similar contracts to what he took in Calgary. He ended up drafting well with all 3 picks? Once again...Missing the issue you have. Overreaching on 1st round picks...I take it you're referring to Senyshyn, DeBrusk and Frederic? They only "overreached" because that's what was pumped to fans by the hockey media. I'd say JDB looks very good and will only get better. Senyshyn just started his first AHL season, and is coming off a solid junior career. He has big upside. Frederic is what you're always clamoring for and he's shown big upside as well.

Who were they 'supposed' to draft instead? Let's here the revisionist "should have taken X, Y, and Z" point...I love them!

Please defend the Lucic trade. You can't. Senyshyn was a consensus mid to late second round pick, you gamble that he would have been there and take a higher rated player in his place. DeBrusk was considered a late first round pick, not as much of a reach. We'll see how he develops. Let's see if Frederic even signs with the Bruins or plays a game. Again someone they may have been able to get later in the draft.

At 13,14 and 15 in a deep draft you better do better than a possible second line wing in DeBrusk (who I like and think will be the only first rounder they took from that year who has a chance at making an impact), a "scoring" winger in Senyshyn who few outside of Boston look at as a top prospect and did not show marked improvement his final year of juniors and hasn't set the AHL on fire so far and Zboril who has been a disappointment in his development thus far.

Personally I don't care if Hamilton wanted to be here, you sign him or let somebody use the threat of an offer sheet, most likely he doesn't sit out the season in protest and you move him for a better return later.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
We all did. heck he would have fit perfectly in the league I grew up watching. Would even fit in the mid-2000's...He's just not an NHL player now. I get if you are a team that lacks overall toughness, but the Bruins don't. They have plenty of guys that will stand up, as Schaller exhibited last night, and Kevan Miller fought when challenged too. Dorsett and Gudbranson were the only two guys who would throw them on the Nucks, and we still had McQuaid and Chara.

Can we please remove Chara from any conversation that involves fighting? Last 4 years he has had 7 fights and most have involved throwing a punch and falling. I still love Chara but he in no way should be considered a fighter anymore.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Please defend the Lucic trade. You can't. Senyshyn was a consensus mid to late second round pick, you gamble that he would have been there and take a higher rated player in his place. DeBrusk was considered a late first round pick, not as much of a reach. We'll see how he develops. Let's see if Frederic even signs with the Bruins or plays a game. Again someone they may have been able to get later in the draft.

At 13,14 and 15 in a deep draft you better do better than a possible second line wing in DeBrusk (who I like and think will be the only first rounder they took from that year who has a chance at making an impact), a "scoring" winger in Senyshyn who few outside of Boston look at as a top prospect and did not show marked improvement his final year of juniors and hasn't set the AHL on fire so far and Zboril who has been a disappointment in his development thus far.

Personally I don't care if Hamilton wanted to be here, you sign him or let somebody use the threat of an offer sheet, most likely he doesn't sit out the season in protest and you move him for a better return later.

How do you know how how these '15 draft picks turn out? Why are you pigeonholing them into roles already when you have zero idea what they will be?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
How do you know how how these '15 draft picks turn out? Why are you pigeonholing them into roles already when you have zero idea what they will be?

Exactly, especially since 2/3`rds of those 1st round picks have a combined 6 AHL games between them, meanwhile one of the other one`s has found himself with the big club in year 2. If I`m on the PB`s thread here in February/March and I`m reading that Seny/Zboril haven`t shown much in the way of development then I`d be a touch disappointed and even then, it wouldn`t mean either or both have no future in the NHL

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ

This is the same idiotic mindset that people had when the Pastrnak saga was going on. "Just sign him!" As if it's always that easy. It takes two to tango, and Hamilton obviously didn't want to dance with the Bruins.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This is the same idiotic mindset that people had when the Pastrnak saga was going on. "Just sign him!" As if it's always that easy. It takes two to tango, and Hamilton obviously didn't want to dance with the Bruins.

So that means you make a terrible trade instead? Whether it's right or not the team has control over a player for the first few contracts. If they could play hard ball with Pastrnak why not Hamilton? The return for Hamilton (draft picks) was a joke. They let a young top 4, probably top 2 D leave for no where near the return they should have gotten, that is on Sweeney.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Please defend the Lucic trade. You can't.

At the time, they got a goalie with upside in Jones, a defenseman with upside in Colin Miller and a 1st round pick (Zboril; who hasn't been a disappointment. What has he done to fall off his potential to be a top 4 defenseman?). Sweeney turning around and dealing Jones for a 1st and Kuraly was a solid side move as well. Jones didn't have a future here as a backup and was unproven for the most part as an NHL starter. He then turned that pick into Frederic, who is a solid prospect. The Lucic deal was a solid haul for a UFA-To-Be.

Senyshyn was a consensus mid to late second round pick, you gamble that he would have been there and take a higher rated player in his place. DeBrusk was considered a late first round pick, not as much of a reach. We'll see how he develops. Let's see if Frederic even signs with the Bruins or plays a game. Again someone they may have been able to get later in the draft.

You speak as it if it is fact they would have been available later. It's not fact. Bruins liked the player (in each situation) and took them. There were rumors BOTH Senyshyn and Frederic were being targeted by other teams in the first round for their respected draft years. Why wouldn't Frederic sign with the Bruins or even play a game? Christ almighty, you can literally do that with any player then.

At 13,14 and 15 in a deep draft you better do better than a possible second line wing in DeBrusk (who I like and think will be the only first rounder they took from that year who has a chance at making an impact)

Still waiting on these players who are sure-fire better selections than any player Boston took. I forgot that Zboril, JDB, and Senyshyn are the only 3 players from that draft that have yet to make an impact (and JDB is already so scratch him). Why is it written in stone that DeBrusk is a "possible" 2nd line wing? Why can't he develop into something more? Why is it so bad if the Bruins got a 2nd line wing in the 1st round anyway?

a "scoring" winger in Senyshyn who few outside of Boston look at as a top prospect and did not show marked improvement his final year of juniors and hasn't set the AHL on fire so far

Hasn't set the AHL on fire so far = Played 3 games. Laughable comment.

and Zboril who has been a disappointment in his development thus far.

He has? Says who? You.... lol

More what-ifs.... It's not even something you can argue for. Offer-sheets don't happen and weren't happening. He wasn't signing a fair deal that he took in Calgary.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I'll start by saying I would of kept Lucic and re-signed him. Said it then, would say it now.

But it's completely false that Sweeney never got fair value for a player who was UFA in 1 years time.

He got fair value in the initial deal (13th overall, Colin Miller, Martin Jones).

He got fair value when he dealt Jones (who wasn't a proven No.1 at the time, but most agreed he had the potential to do so) to SJ (for a non-lottery protected 1st and Sean Kuraly)

The threat of an offer sheet pushed the Hamilton deal.

Which would you prefer

A) a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2016 as offer-sheet compensation

B) a 1st, 2nd and 2nd a year earlier in 2015

Not to get off-topic but his thread has devolved from Ryan White, to Tyler Randell, to Sweeney's trade record.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
At the time, they got a goalie with upside in Jones, a defenseman with upside in Colin Miller and a 1st round pick (Zboril; who hasn't been a disappointment. What has he done to fall off his potential to be a top 4 defenseman?). Sweeney turning around and dealing Jones for a 1st and Kuraly was a solid side move as well. Jones didn't have a future here as a backup and was unproven for the most part as an NHL starter. He then turned that pick into Frederic, who is a solid prospect. The Lucic deal was a solid haul for a UFA-To-Be.

You speak as it if it is fact they would have been available later. It's not fact. Bruins liked the player (in each situation) and took them. There were rumors BOTH Senyshyn and Frederic were being targeted by other teams in the first round for their respected draft years. Why wouldn't Frederic sign with the Bruins or even play a game? Christ almighty, you can literally do that with any player then.

Rumors probably started by the Bruins, I do not buy for a second there was a market for Senyshyn that early. Good management trades down to get that player. Frederic wasn't as much of a reach but I still believe he would have been there if Sweeney traded down a few spots another asset.

Still waiting on these players who are sure-fire better selections than any player Boston took. I forgot that Zboril, JDB, and Senyshyn are the only 3 players from that draft that have yet to make an impact (and JDB is already so scratch him). Why is it written in stone that DeBrusk is a "possible" 2nd line wing? Why can't he develop into something more? Why is it so bad if the Bruins got a 2nd line wing in the 1st round anyway?

Travis Konecny, Anthony Beauvillier, Kyle Connor, Mathew Barzal, Brock Boeser.

Most draft previews had these players rated ahead of Senyshyn, Zboril was a consensus top 20 pick, so while he is not developing as hoped I will leave him alone and look at who else they could have had instead of Senyshyn.
Colin White, Ilya Samsonov, Vince Dunn, and Thomas Chabot.

Too me DeBrusks high end is second line, just an opinion, and it isn't so bad if that is what he becomes. I like his game and he was the one Sweeney reach I haven't minded.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Most draft previews had these players rated ahead of Senyshyn, Zboril was a consensus top 20 pick, so while he is not developing as hoped I will leave him alone and look at who else they could have had instead of Senyshyn.

Too me DeBrusks high end is second line, just an opinion, and it isn't so bad if that is what he becomes. I like his game and he was the one Sweeney reach I haven't minded.

Vince Dunn? Really?

Talk about revisionist history. You are bashing Sweeney and the B's for taking Senyshyn (ranked 40 by TSN) higher than he was rated, but then toss out:

Chabot (25)
Boeser (26)
Dunn (36)
Beauvillier (43)

Konecny, White, Barzal, and Connor all would have been legit picks at 15 or so, but other than Konecny, what have they done?

Also, Carlo was ranked 22 and the B's got him at 37, while Vladar was ranked 47 and the B's got him at 75.

What were the other 29 teams thinking?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Vince Dunn? Really?

Talk about revisionist history. You are bashing Sweeney and the B's for taking Senyshyn (ranked 40 by TSN) higher than he was rated, but then toss out:

Chabot (25)
Boeser (26)
Dunn (36)
Beauvillier (43)

Konecny, White, Barzal, and Connor all would have been legit picks at 15 or so, but other than Konecny, what have they done?

Also, Carlo was ranked 22 and the B's got him at 37, while Vladar was ranked 47 and the B's got him at 75.

What were the other 29 teams thinking?

Second round was very good, I'm specifically talking about reaches and not maximizing assets in the first round.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Always thought they were taking Kyle Connor.

Zboril was the only non reach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad