Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
If you take the offseason roster as a given (including DK retiring), I don’t see how Sweeney can catch much flack for this deal. It’s a short term, middle money contract, for a veteran who hopefully is on the third line but very well may be asked to do second line center duty if no one else can take the spot. I’m sure most of us wanted DK back with a newly signed Hall, but if he truly did want to leave purely for family reasons, what better options (considering both player and term/money commitment) did Sweeney have?

And the Backes comparisons are ridiculous. As has already been pointed out, Backes was getting leaned on as a key piece to the team going forward from the moment he signed that contract. Does a 2 year 3.8 AAV deal really set up in an at all comparable way? What are the chances this deal hurts us three or four years down the road? Answer is none.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don't think its 'huge' and I think he probably had better offers $$/term than this.

I know we are getting him 3-4 years too late but you never know he could turn back the clock and have 1 more great season with us this year.

I mean we got a perennial 20 goal scorer in smith for roughly a million less per year and smith had been vastly out performing foligno the past couple years.

Idk not really a fan of signing a 34 year old player who has 17 goals in his last 116 games to a two year deal at $3.8m per. Honestly probably wouldn’t even go over $2.5m a year for him.

Very interested to see who the bruins were bidding against because it really doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I mean we got a perennial 20 goal scorer in smith for roughly a million less per year and smith had been vastly out performing foligno the past couple years.

Idk not really a fan of signing a 34 year old player who has 17 goals in his last 116 games to a two year deal at $3.8m per. Honestly probably wouldn’t even go over $2.5m a year for him.

Very interested to see who the bruins were bidding against because it really doesn’t make sense.

Maybe I’m missed you already answering this, but what player (if any) would you have acquired this offseason to fill the same/a similar role to Foligno instead of Foligno?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Maybe I’m missed you already answering this, but what player (if any) would you have acquired this offseason to fill the same/a similar role to Foligno instead of Foligno?

Depends how you define folignos role. If you are saying a LW/Center, bruins acquired quite a few of those. For instance they acquired haula who plays a similar position. Bruins are actually overloaded with bottom 6 LW and bottom 6 centers.

Even if we include 2nd line center for 3 center spots and 2 LW spots we currently have:

Coyle
Foligno
Haula
Frederic
Nosek
Lazar
Studnicka(?)

Yet the bruins currently have three natural right wings.

Pasta
Smith
Wagner

Sure someone can play their off wing or a position that’s not their natural position, but I would have much rather preferred not overpaying for a guy in foligno who has 17 goals in his last 116 games and gone out and signed a natural RW or god forbid moved for a top pairing LHD.

I wouldn’t have offered foligno anything more than $2.5m a year as a 34 year old player who’s production has been on a steady decline.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don’t think them signing Foligno prevented them from getting a top pairing LHD, I think the lack of available top pairing LHD prevented them from getting a top pairing LHD. To me it was not an “either/or”

they lacked a pulse at times last year and Foligno definitely doesn’t so that in itself is valuable

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I don’t think them signing Foligno prevented them from getting a top pairing LHD, I think the lack of available top pairing LHD prevented them from getting a top pairing LHD. To me it was not an “either/or”

they lacked a pulse at times last year and Foligno definitely doesn’t so that in itself is valuable

Well he’s going to have to bring a pulse because he hasn’t been bringing his teams in much of the scoring department the past couple years and he turns 34 before the season starts so not sure he will exactly be revamping his career here.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That’s an extremely low bar.

In MB's first season he was not terrible. After that, yeah, pretty bad, but if Foligno gives us what Beleskey ought to have given for two years, it is money well spent. That is my point. I know a lot of folks didn't like Beleskey's AAV, but the term was the real issue. If he had done what he was brought in to do- be a third line wing, with some physical play and chip in a little offense- then it would have been an acceptable price. I expect Foligno to be just that. Maybe a little overpaid, but not excessively, and if he can do what the Bruins think he can, I don't predict a lot of complaining about the AAV.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
In MB's first season he was not terrible. After that, yeah, pretty bad, but if Foligno gives us what Beleskey ought to have given for two years, it is money well spent. That is my point. I know a lot of folks didn't like Beleskey's AAV, but the term was the real issue. If he had done what he was brought in to do- be a third line wing, with some physical play and chip in a little offense- then it would have been an acceptable price. I expect Foligno to be just that. Maybe a little overpaid, but not excessively, and if he can do what the Bruins think he can, I don't predict a lot of complaining about the AAV.

At least in the first year, the main issue with Beleskey was the totally unreasonable expectations from fans and management really. To me, the guy worked his ass off and played to his full capabilities the first year.

The real dream is that Studnicka steps into that second line center role and meshes with Hall/Smith and Foligno gives us a “first year Beleskey” type performance on the third line. Not saying it’s likely (especially the Stud part) but it’s not out of the question.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Beleskey had 15 goals and 37 points in 80 games his first season. Foligno has 17 goals in his last two seasons combined (116 games). Foligno also hasn’t had a season with 37+ points in five years. I hope he somehow manages to revamp his career. I just highly doubt that’s going to happen.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
If you take the offseason roster as a given (including DK retiring), I don’t see how Sweeney can catch much flack for this deal. It’s a short term, middle money contract, for a veteran who hopefully is on the third line but very well may be asked to do second line center duty if no one else can take the spot. I’m sure most of us wanted DK back with a newly signed Hall, but if he truly did want to leave purely for family reasons, what better options (considering both player and term/money commitment) did Sweeney have?

And the Backes comparisons are ridiculous. As has already been pointed out, Backes was getting leaned on as a key piece to the team going forward from the moment he signed that contract. Does a 2 year 3.8 AAV deal really set up in an at all comparable way? What are the chances this deal hurts us three or four years down the road? Answer is none.

Are people comparing him to backes in terms of the contract or in terms of the decrease in production in their early to mid 30s. Contract wise not a good comparison. Drop in production is very similar from their late 20s through their age 33 season.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Beleskey had 15 goals and 37 points in 80 games his first season. Foligno has 17 goals in his last two seasons combined (116 games). Foligno also hasn’t had a season with 37+ points in five years. I hope he somehow manages to revamp his career. I just highly doubt that’s going to happen.

I am not just talking about points, though. Those are nice from a secondary scoring standpoint, but its the tenacious play, the maximum effort, responsible team play that Beleskey also brought that first season. When he went down, he didn't just fall off on his scoring. I am content with Foligno bringing his full effort and if he gets 25-30 points, that will be more than enough from a bottom 6 guy.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I am not just talking about points, though. Those are nice from a secondary scoring standpoint, but its the tenacious play, the maximum effort, responsible team play that Beleskey also brought that first season. When he went down, he didn't just fall off on his scoring. I am content with Foligno bringing his full effort and if he gets 25-30 points, that will be more than enough from a bottom 6 guy.

25-30 points is not more than enough for someone getting paid $3.8m a year regardless of the intangibles, which has been my point that he’s overpaid. Especially considering you have a guy in Craig smith making $3m who is a much better player and younger.

Sweeneys done a good job of keeping the top line guys to good contracts, but he’s completely offsetting it by going out and giving guys like foligno and Coyle much more money than they deserve.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
25-30 points is not more than enough for someone getting paid $3.8m a year regardless of the intangibles, which has been my point that he’s overpaid. Especially considering you have a guy in Craig smith making $3m who is a much better player and younger.

Sweeneys done a good job of keeping the top line guys to good contracts, but he’s completely offsetting it by going out and giving guys like foligno and Coyle much more money than they deserve.

All I can offer is this: it isn't my money. The term is fine. If he is overpaid by $1-1.5m a year oh well. That money was not and is not the difference between the Bruins being good or bad. Since it is only two years, if he really is awful, we are out from under it soon enough.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
All I can offer is this: it isn't my money. The term is fine. If he is overpaid by $1-1.5m a year oh well. That money was not and is not the difference between the Bruins being good or bad. Since it is only two years, if he really is awful, we are out from under it soon enough.

That’s a terrible mindset to have because this teams window is roughly two years. So if he’s awful they just committed $3.8m over two years to a guy on the downside of his career without having much wiggle room the next two seasons.

Sorry, but spending $3.8m on a LW/C when you just brought in two other LW/C in nosek and Haula while still not having 2nd line center, a natural 3rd line RW and a top pairing LHD is just dumb.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That’s a terrible mindset to have because this teams window is roughly two years. So if he’s awful they just committed $3.8m over two years to a guy on the downside of his career without having much wiggle room the next two seasons.

Sorry, but spending $3.8m on a LW/C when you just brought in two other LW/C in nosek and Haula while still not having 2nd line center, a natural 3rd line RW and a top pairing LHD is just dumb.

You certainly have a strong opinion about it, and you are welcome to it. I don't share it.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You certainly have a strong opinion about it, and you are welcome to it. I don't share it.

Just sick of Sweeney’s entire tenure of overpaying bottom 6 forwards and 3rd pairing defense while not addressing bigger needs.

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY

I’m curious when the window for this board will officially….when we are 10 pts out of the playoffs? Look, it might not be sealed & latched, but I promise you no flies are getting in.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’m curious when the window for this board will officially….when we are 10 pts out of the playoffs? Look, it might not be sealed & latched, but I promise you no flies are getting in.

Don’t worry if we have learned anything from the Trent frederics of the world. You can not produce and fight once every 20 games and will be half the boards favorite player.

If I’m foligno I go out and fight in the first couple games. Fans will give him an automatic 20 game pass if he’s not performing well just because he fought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad