Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don’t buy it, if years were a factor and he was miffed he would take 2-3 years elsewhere. I think he just wanted to go home after probably not going home for a long time

exactly

and sweeney has made some mistakes but not giving Krejci the extra year? Lol. That’s like a honey spot of transitional time for this team

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I don’t buy it, if years were a factor and he was miffed he would take 2-3 years elsewhere. I think he just wanted to go home after probably not going home for a long time

exactly

and sweeney has made some mistakes but not giving Krejci the extra year? Lol. That’s like a honey spot of transitional time for this team

I have to believe Sweeney would have taken Krejci @2 years over Foligno 8 days a week.

I'm assuming the info that got passed on was misinterpreted.

Foligno was the final nail in Krejci coming back because he is Krejcis "replacement" after they knew he was gone, not because it came down to one or the other.

Reactions: Kalus

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Which begs the question, why pay 3.8 for a player that is pretty much the same guy you could have had for 2.5?

Foligno is a player I admired for a long time but all things considered at this point in time, I go Ritchie @ 2.5 than Foligno @ 3.8.

The thing I fear and I'm willing to bet on is that Foligno will be 1st to get a Crack at 2C. And that has about a 20% chance of being something to hang a hat on.

For a difference of 1 mil ? you would take plug Ritchie over Foligno?

I'm typically against old slow turtles but Foligno isn't that...the dude can still play. My guess is he becomes an immediate fan favourite. He's going to succeed in Boston.

He wasn't going to be qualified and becoming a tradeable asset for Boston...the leafs are gambling on Ritchie, the other 31 GMs passed on him.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Interesting bit from the Chiclets podcast that dropped the other day saying that the Foligno signing was the final nail in the coffin of Krejci coming back.

Supposedly they heard from an "insider" that Krejci may have been miffed about not getting a 2 year deal while Foligno did. Bruins allegedly wanted to go year to year with Krejci.

Sounds like a load of ish to me. Sweeney can't be that dumb...

If anything I'm thinking the Foligno deal was because Krejci wasn't coming back. Feel like this salary was earmarked for #46.

I’m going to call bullshit on that one. What I was told from more than one source was the decision and only decision was accepting what Bs offer was or ‘going home’..

I will say if years or money were an issue he sure as hell could have got that from a lot of NHL teams.

But that scenario wasn’t something in the alternative process of making a decision.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I’m going to call bullshit on that one. What I was told from more than one source was the decision and only decision was accepting what Bs offer was or ‘going home’..

I will say if years or money were an issue he sure as hell could have got that from a lot of NHL teams.

But that scenario wasn’t something in the alternative process of making a decision.

I do agree that this supposed rumor doesn't make much sense.

Unless Krejci only wanted to come back to the bruins, for 2 years, for at least x,xxx,xxx AAV. Which seems to be the opposite of what we have heard from Krejci himself on what he wanted.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Felt the same way about the Hall acquisition.

Definitely a solid addition now but we really needed him instead of Backes during that stretch of the last couple seasons.
For us to have acquired Hall 3 years ago for a 2nd and struggling tweener, we would have been laughed off the boards tho.

This said, if you took all the assets we gave up for rentals or trades our picks instead of busts over the years we probably could have gotten him or someone of his ilk.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Saw Foligno being interview on NHL network yesterday.

Asked about bringing leadership, he said the Bruins already have lots of leadership on the team. They are well coached and play the game the right way. Then he said, "That's why they are successful year after year".

No wonder Bruins signed him. He thinks being a winning team translates to success.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Saw Foligno being interview on NHL network yesterday.

Asked about bringing leadership, he said the Bruins already have lots of leadership on the team. They are well coached and play the game the right way. Then he said, "That's why they are successful year after year".

No wonder Bruins signed him. He thinks being a winning team translates to success.
Interesting

I appear to be the only one on HF that likes the move - I’ve got room if you want yo join me

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If Foligno was promised some time at second line and Sweeney ends up bringing in a 2C. Will they move Nick to RW and send Smith to the Coyle line?
It might not make sense on paper, but at least then they would be fulfilling any handshake promises the org may have with the player.

Hate to see Foligno pissed off quick because they bring in someone like Dvorak and Nick never sees time outside of the Coyle line.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Interesting

I appear to be the only one on HF that likes the move - I’ve got room if you want yo join me
There are plenty that like the move. I like the move mainly because I’m hoping he can teach some of these softies how much toughness is needed when you play in the NHL. The only time that I watched him was against the B’s, sure seemed like he can still play. It’s about effort.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
If Foligno was promised some time at second line and Sweeney ends up bringing in a 2C. Will they move Nick to RW and send Smith to the Coyle line?
It might not make sense on paper, but at least then they would be fulfilling any handshake promises the org may have with the player.

Hate to see Foligno pissed off quick because they bring in someone like Dvorak and Nick never sees time outside of the Coyle line.

I think the $3.8 million will ensure he doesn't mind a 3rd line role if that is what happens. While I am not sold on Smith as a true top 6 winger, I do believe he is closer than Foligno is at this point.

Debrusk - Haula - Foligno could be an effective 3rd line if Coyle is truly on the second line.

Reactions: Flannelman

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I think the $3.8 million will ensure he doesn't mind a 3rd line role if that is what happens. While I am not sold on Smith as a true top 6 winger, I do believe he is closer than Foligno is at this point.

Debrusk - Haula - Foligno could be an effective 3rd line if Coyle is truly on the second line.
I will be shocked to see Coyle as 2C. So much so I wont even really consider it.
If Sweeney cant land the 2C this summer then I think Cassidy will cycle through lines 2-4 trying different combinations to see who has chemistry and then build the lineup based on what he sees from that.

Really would be nice if Don can land Dvorak...

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Interesting bit from the Chiclets podcast that dropped the other day saying that the Foligno signing was the final nail in the coffin of Krejci coming back.

Supposedly they heard from an "insider" that Krejci may have been miffed about not getting a 2 year deal while Foligno did. Bruins allegedly wanted to go year to year with Krejci.

Sounds like a load of ish to me. Sweeney can't be that dumb...

If anything I'm thinking the Foligno deal was because Krejci wasn't coming back. Feel like this salary was earmarked for #46.
this has got to be the most obviously bullshit thing I've ever heard

Reactions: BRUINS since 1995

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

You didn’t like him before he got hurt? He was on fire.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Interesting

I like the move, still think he`s got a little something in the tank, as I`ve mentioned here before, biggest concern for me is him staying healthy, if he does, wouldn`t be shocked if he could post 30-40 pts which would be a drastic improvement over what we just watched the 3rd line produce last year

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
I have to believe Sweeney would have taken Krejci @2 years over Foligno 8 days a week.

I'm assuming the info that got passed on was misinterpreted.

Foligno was the final nail in Krejci coming back because he is Krejcis "replacement" after they knew he was gone, not because it came down to one or the other.
My take from Krejci’s good-bye letter was he wouldn’t rule anything out and he will be back? Is it possible he plays the season over there and returns at trade deadline for playoffs? I’m not sure any of us can rule this out?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If DeBrusk is still here I’m hoping Foligno will be on his ass like the drill sergeant from full metal jacket.

DecisiveCreepyAracari-max-1mb.gif

I too would love that. He needs a veteran like that to get him back. on track.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My take from Krejci’s good-bye letter was he wouldn’t rule anything out and he will be back? Is it possible he plays the season over there and returns at trade deadline for playoffs? I’m not sure any of us can rule this out?

I can.
No way he passes through waivers.
And no , a team cant claim him and trade him back to us without him going through waivers again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad