Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign Nick Foligno (2 years, $3.8M/yr)

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If you take the offseason roster as a given (including DK retiring), I don’t see how Sweeney can catch much flack for this deal. It’s a short term, middle money contract, for a veteran who hopefully is on the third line but very well may be asked to do second line center duty if no one else can take the spot. I’m sure most of us wanted DK back with a newly signed Hall, but if he truly did want to leave purely for family reasons, what better options (considering both player and term/money commitment) did Sweeney have?

And the Backes comparisons are ridiculous. As has already been pointed out, Backes was getting leaned on as a key piece to the team going forward from the moment he signed that contract. Does a 2 year 3.8 AAV deal really set up in an at all comparable way? What are the chances this deal hurts us three or four years down the road? Answer is none.

Extremely well said. You also nailed the “what better options” when you hit term/money commitment because I was expecting to see a lot of “Phillip Danault was available” responses to this point.

This is the type of contract you sign guys like Foligno/Backes to. Short term deals to help the now. It’s hard to always get them to agree to it but when they do, its a minimal risk move. Literally next season, if shit goes to hell, you have a player you’re looking to get something for which will help down the road.

Reactions: Dr Hook

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Extremely well said. You also nailed the “what better options” when you hit term/money commitment because I was expecting to see a lot of “Phillip Danault was available” responses to this point.

This is the type of contract you sign guys like Foligno/Backes to. Short term deals to help the now. It’s hard to always get them to agree to it but when they do, its a minimal risk move. Literally next season, if shit goes to hell, you have a player you’re looking to get something for which will help down the road.
agreed, I`ll take this deal over the one the Panthers signed Bennett to, over 6 mill per whose never hit 40pts in a NHL season? Good grief Charlie Brown

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Pius Suter is younger, signed for cheaper and better than foligno at this point in folignos career. That’s just one guy off the top of my head.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Would I want to play with a gun against my head in unforgiving environment aka Leafs/Av's or have similar chance to win and actually enjoy the game?

I don't think after last season Foligno even seriously considered continuing in the Leafs. This time he made a smart choice.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Would I want to play with a gun against my head in unforgiving environment aka Leafs/Av's or have similar chance to win and actually enjoy the game?

I don't think after last season Foligno even seriously considered continuing in the Leafs. This time he made a smart choice.

Idk it’s not like the Boston market is that much more unforgiving than those markets. Though if you do go out and fight there’s a large contingent of fans who will completely ignore your production and envy you as player.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
The Islander depth forwards are the same age as Foligno and embarrassed our bottom 6. Even if this is a panic/reactionary signing I think its justified.

If Foligno is so-so you can just trade him next summer and if you have to retain some cap.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I have a feeling that Foligno is going to be a Bruin longer than two years.
Good role player who is physical and not afraid of confrontations.
So needed.

Backes "a true leader" came in no longer a factor in the new NHL...with Foligno he comes in "a true leader" with grit and surprisingly able to keep up with the new NHL.

I think Foligno will fit in perfectly.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
If Foligno loves it in Boston and his his family members get great treatment at the local hospital I could see Nick retiring here. (was it his daughter that needed special treatment, I could be wrong here)

Sign him for Kuraly money after few seasons and we got the best 4C in the league.

Reactions: nORRis8

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Backes "a true leader" came in no longer a factor in the new NHL...with Foligno he comes in "a true leader" with grit and surprisingly able to keep up with the new NHL.

Would rather have had Mike Hoffman, for more cash and the extra year TBH. Not sure where the Bruins goals are going to come from.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

This couldn’t be further from the facts.

Backes was coming off a 21 goal 24 assist season in 75 games when he signed with the bruins at age 32. While yes, he sort of started declining from his normal numbers he was still playing at a high level before coming here.

Foligno is coming in his age 34 season and last year has 7 goals and 13 assists in 49 games. Over the last four years among players with at least 500 power play minutes foligno ranks dead last in points with 14 and 2nd worst has 22.

in backes age 33 season (with the bruins) he posted a 2.3 points per 60 minutes. Foligno just posted a 1.4 points per 60 minutes in his age 33 season.

Foligno from age 26-29 was roughly a 2.2-2.3 point per 60 minute player and has dropped down to 1.6, 1.5 and most recently 1.4 points per 60 minutes. So his production has dropped roughly 35%-40% the last three years from his prime from a points per 60 minutes perspective.

Backes was actually out performing foligno in their age 33 seasons. Both players declines are actually statistically very similar. Folignos started a little earlier, backes biggest drop off was his age 34 season, which foligno is headed into this year.

Reactions: Gordoff

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This couldn’t be further from the facts.

Backes was coming off a 21 goal 24 assist season in 75 games when he signed with the bruins at age 32. While yes, he sort of started declining from his normal numbers he was still playing at a high level before coming here.

Foligno is coming in his age 34 season and last year has 7 goals and 13 assists in 49 games. Over the last four years among players with at least 500 power play minutes foligno ranks dead last in points with 14 and 2nd worst has 22.

in backes age 33 season (with the bruins) he posted a 2.3 points per 60 minutes. Foligno just posted a 1.4 points per 60 minutes in his age 33 season.

Foligno from age 26-29 was roughly a 2.2-2.3 point per 60 minute player and has dropped down to 1.6, 1.5 and most recently 1.4 points per 60 minutes. So his production has dropped roughly 35%-40% the last three years from his prime from a points per 60 minutes perspective.

Backes was actually out performing foligno in their age 33 seasons. Both players declines are actually statistically very similar. Folignos started a little earlier, backes biggest drop off was his age 34 season, which foligno is headed into this year.

Good post but I still say Foligno outperforms Backes his tenure as a bruin. The primary reason and IMO Foligno can play in the new NHL whereas Backes simply couldn't. I guess this is a wait and see situation.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm not sure what all the PP fuss is all about. What is Foligno going to get? Maybe 30 seconds on the second unit?

Just for fun, which player would you rather have on your powerplay?

2019-2020 Season

Player A: 4 goals - 8 assists - 2:30 AVG PP TOI per game - 68 games played
Player B: 7 goals - 3 assists - 2:33 AVG PP TOI per game - 65 games played

2020-2021 Season

Player A: 1 goals - 7 assists - 2:33 AVG PP TOI per game - 55 games played
Player B: 2 goals - 1 assists - 1:22 AVG PP TOI per game - 41 games played

Last edited:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I'm not sure what all the PP fuss is all about. What is Foligno going to get? Maybe 30 seconds on the second unit?

2019-2020 Season

2020-2021 Season

Is this a trick question?
My answer is neither.
I can't see Foligno getting any PP time this season to be honest. I would like to see him on the second PK unit.
My first PP unit would be, Mac and Pasty on the point, Bergy,Marchand and Hall
Second unit, Reilly,Gryz, Coyle, Smith and JDB/Haula

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

2019-2020 Season

2020-2021 Season

I gave his power play numbers because there’s people wanting to put foligno on the top power play unit l.

2 minutes or 30 seconds the worst power play guy in the NHL over the past four seasons shouldn’t be getting any time. 14 points over 574 minutes in four years in about as bad as it gets. He tanks power plays. He’s a shell of his former self in nearly every statistical category and decreasing every year.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad