Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign John Moore 5 years 2.75 aav

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Five years is obviously too long, but its not surprising in the slightest

Some team probably wanted to give him a reasonable three or four year deal, and Sweeney wanted his guy and had to beat it

At this point pretty much every UFA signing will be universally considered bad, but thats just what it takes to get players

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
this guy is one of the best 3-on-3 defensemen in the league! heck of a skater.
ok, that's all i got. terrible signing IMO, and now who gets moved out? krug or
grzelcyk? not sure if moore can play the right side, but he's certainly not better than
miller. my issue with moore is he has tunnel vision and his reads are suspect. when
neely said they wanted a left-shot defenseman that can log minutes, i thought they
wanted a guy like klefbom who could defend and transition the puck. this one is a
real head-scratcher - it's almost like they wanted hanifin and then were like "we can't
get him, who else can really skate and retrieve pucks but isn't anywhere as good and
is cheap to acquire?" boo.

Last edited:

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
If it's helpful, I tweeted my scouting report to Hags as well, I might as well post it here since there appears to be some questions about what he brings...feel free to disregard as needed...

John Moore (LD/RD) - Mobile defenseman. Great skating base with a very smooth stride. Mobile in all directions. Wonderful edge work. He accelerates so quickly laterally...even faster than his straight ahead speed which - relative to the rest of his skating prowess - lacks just a touch of strength to put it over the top. Extremely agile, fluid transition/backskater. Uses his legs to carry the puck up the ice, but he doesn't have noteworthy hands. He also doesn't have a lot of puck poise to offer either. He tends to throw pucks away when challenged and he doesn't have the vision to make good enough reads even when he does have time. Above average shot, particularly noteworthy when he sneaks down below the tops of the circles as he is prone to do. Able to hit a moving puck as well, which slightly amplifies his chance to score from distance. Generally speaking, his shot isn't overpowering enough from long range that he's a threat. His ability to move laterally with the puck and to fire a wrist shot while walking with it is a bigger threat. Plays smaller than his vitals would suggest. While he does occasionally throw a hit up at the defending line, his general style of play is pretty tepid. He is inconsistent in his defensive posturing. He leans towards being an aggressive, tight gap defender who challenges the rush up at the line...but sometimes he's 20 feet off the line and ends up in the goalie's lap and it's unclear when or why he makes the choice that he does. He chases the puck around against sustained attacks and is prone to getting sucked out way high or into corners or just drifting behind the net aimlessly. Even in transition, he never senses danger after he makes a pass or his teammates are moving up the ice...instead of being a safety valve in the middle or leaning towards the strong side of the play, he'll just fall asleep and drift outside the dots and then have to stagger to gap up. Just lacks the hockey sense to be a difference maker and he doesn't possess the natural puck skills to augment his wonderful skating or cover for his defensive warts.

Role: #6 mobile defenseman, like a less talented version of Marc-Andre Gragnani

Reactions: Alicat

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Nash got 2.75 for three years

He got 2.4 over 3 years according to dreger and khudobin was asking for 2.4 from the bruins. Equals 4.8m

Wagner got 1.25, Nordstrom got 1m and Halak got 2.75. Equals 5m

Halak hasn’t been good for 3 years and Wagner and Nordstrom are 4th liners and bruins still need to sign a 3rd line center replacement for nash

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Dont give bottom half of the roster long term unless it is a massive steal. This isn’t.

Reactions: BB88

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The fact all anyone says about this dude is how good he is in overtime, that makes me think Krug is gone. Overtime is kind of krugs gig. If Boston couldn’t feasibly replace krugs power play ability, they replaced his overtime ability in Moore and will lean on Grizz and mcavoy to try to replicate as much of krugs power play ability as possible. Not sure it will work but at least they got the hole Krug would leave in overtime filled

Mad Dr Pepper

Jun 28, 2015
Quebec
That signing give me flashbacks from not so long ago... We had guys like Beleskey or now Backes in which we gave 5 years deal... And they were stuck with them being anchors after 1 or 2 years. Have either to buy them out or hope for a miraculous comeback. However I let the benefit of the doubts for Moore as I didn't even know him before the signing... I just hope for the best.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I think so. Otherwise makes no sense, unless Chara retires tomorrow

Now that Tavares has signed with the Leafs.. I expect the Bruins to try to strengthen upfront by trading Krug

This is what I've suspected all along. I'm a Krug fan, but given the "whiffs" per IK & JT, the depth moves fill roster holes & possibly point to dealing Torey. It's too bad, but you have to give talent to get talent...

Reactions: rocketdan9

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Whoa

I like him but he shoots left

Jersey Lou ????

You are the Moore guy what do you think
After the Halak signing it is hard to believe he could match that garbage with more garbage.....Just sickening....

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
After the Halak signing it is hard to believe he could match that garbage with more garbage.....Just sickening....
I hope you feel better it’s only fun don’t let it affect you emotionally

Sorry Don has upset you

He’s a nice person I’m sure he meant no harm

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Lets say Krug is traded soon.... guessing the D pairings will be

Chara McAvoy
Moore Carlo
Grz Miller

I don't mind this at all. Moore is not as talented as Krug offensively, but can't be any worse on defense. Is also 6'2 (extra reach, size) , can skate. I do expect some bonehead mistakes but ....

2nd pairing of Moore and Carlo is long and fast. Should give opponents headaches

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Chara McAvoy
Moore Carlo
Grz Miller

I don't mind this at all. Moore is not as talented as Krug offensively, but can't be any worse on defense. Is also 6'2 (extra reach, size) , can skate. I do expect some bonehead mistakes but ....

2nd pairing of Moore and Carlo is long and fast. Should give opponents headaches

I’d rather give carlo chara and let mcavoy have Moore.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So Moore and Grizz will be expected to replace Krug's offense on the left side? It could happen, and then I imagine they are expecting more from Charlie on the offensive side. Krug's 59 pts leaves a big hole to fill.

It does, but if you're not re-signing Krug in 2 years you trade him this week.
His value will only get weaker.

Trading Krug for F of course makes the F group better, potentially set for few years but leaves a hole on the defense, I don't think it would be too noticeable during the regular season, I see 1 potential weakness on that top6(#2LD) without Krug, but for playoffs 2 potential weak spots, #2LD& #3lD.

So hoping Vaaks+Grzelcyk+ Zboril+ Lauzon keep developing well and looking at adding vet to LD side for playoffs.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Chara McAvoy
Moore Carlo
Grz Miller

I like the 1st and 3rd pairing . I don’t know enough about Moore to accurately gauge what we can expect out of the 2nd pair . Grz may be capable of being a 2nd pair D if Moore is more suited to 3rd pair duties . Ideally , I would have preferred someone who could play with Charlie and Chara could slide down to play with Carlo but it doesn’t appear if that is an option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad