Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign F Joonas Kemppainen from Finland

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Woooohhhh clode is crying of hapiness, another 7 goals 25 pts a years player he will use on pp and end of game when bruins need a goal !!!
Him and talbot are already clode master pieces for all strategy

Yawn, you're one of those never happy fans. I bet you critiqued how they lifted the cup.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
5 good things of Kemppainen.

1. He is extremely good at face-off circle
2. He is going to war zone and really enjoys to playing there.
3. He is great defensive center.
4. Penalty killing expert.
5. Hard worker for every zone. He is never giving up.

Only thing he have to improve for 3.rd Center is that he slacks of speed a bit for nhl.

Sounds like Chris Kelly circa 2010-11

Lehtinen

May 25, 2015
Hi guys! As a long time Karpat-fan (since the 70's), I must say that Kemppainen's line last two seasons (Kemppainen-Donskoi-Junttila) was the best I have ever seen in Oulu. Man did they click! They were so much fun to watch, especially this last season. Yes there were some great lines, like Kari Jalonen's in the 80's , but let's not go there. The game was so different back then... and nobody cares anyway :laugh:

Why I signed up for the forum is I wanted to point out, that of Kemppainen's regular season points (11+21) he got only four assists on power play due to very limited time on PP. He scored three short handed goals, the rest is five on five and usually against the top line of the other team. If I remember correctly, he did not see PP-time regularly before Kukkonen's injury in the playoffs.

Kepu has been one of the best defensive forwards of the Finnish league for years, but lacked a bit of confidence to be a real threat offensively. There were not so good coaches in Karpat, who could not help him enough with that, and did not give him a chance to play with offensive players. In fact the whole team was a mess until our current coach Marjamaki came in two years ago. He put together that dream line, and helped the guys become real athletes off the ice also. They got faster and stronger, and he would play them a lot.

Last October, a few weeks into the season, we saw that Kepu (and Donskoi too) had taken the step that would take him to Team Finland in the Worlds, and that he would get NHL offers. There were many who still doubted Kemppainen, but those who understand hockey knew it right away. I think he is ready for NHL as soon as the season starts. He is not flashy like Donskoi is, but he does every little thing so well, and he never stops trying. He is big, strong, fast and his wrister is not so bad. I'm sure you'll love him. Can't wait for the season to start! :yo:
P.s. Sorry for the long post.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Hi guys! As a long time Karpat-fan (since the 70's), I must say that Kemppainen's line last two seasons (Kemppainen-Donskoi-Junttila) was the best I have ever seen in Oulu. Man did they click! They were so much fun to watch, especially this last season. Yes there were some great lines, like Kari Jalonen's in the 80's , but let's not go there. The game was so different back then... and nobody cares anyway :laugh:

Why I signed up for the forum is I wanted to point out, that of Kemppainen's regular season points (11+21) he got only four assists on power play due to very limited time on PP. He scored three short handed goals, the rest is five on five and usually against the top line of the other team. If I remember correctly, he did not see PP-time regularly before Kukkonen's injury in the playoffs.

Kepu has been one of the best defensive forwards of the Finnish league for years, but lacked a bit of confidence to be a real threat offensively. There were not so good coaches in Karpat, who could not help him enough with that, and did not give him a chance to play with offensive players. In fact the whole team was a mess until our current coach Marjamaki came in two years ago. He put together that dream line, and helped the guys become real athletes off the ice also. They got faster and stronger, and he would play them a lot.

Last October, a few weeks into the season, we saw that Kepu (and Donskoi too) had taken the step that would take him to Team Finland in the Worlds, and that he would get NHL offers. There were many who still doubted Kemppainen, but those who understand hockey knew it right away. I think he is ready for NHL as soon as the season starts. He is not flashy like Donskoi is, but he does every little thing so well, and he never stops trying. He is big, strong, fast and his wrister is not so bad. I'm sure you'll love him. Can't wait for the season to start! :yo:

Thanks for the info,looking forward to seeing him play.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Thanks dude...always love hearing about new players. October can't come soon enough.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

Seems like he's going to be a very solid bottom 6 forward. Good to hear. Hopefully this means Kelly is gone, sounds like Kelly in his prime

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Coach Majarmaki? You mean the same
Masi Majarmaki the Bruins drafted a number of years ago and never panned out? I'm glad they got something out of that pick, finally.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Development Camp is in July, typical the week after 4th of July.
Rookie Camp is in September just before Training Camp opens which is usually right after Labor Day

Lehtinen

May 25, 2015
Coach Majarmaki? You mean the same
Masi Majarmaki the Bruins drafted a number of years ago and never panned out? I'm glad they got something out of that pick, finally.
No, not the same guy. Coach is Lauri Marjamäki, he was also the assistant coach for Jalonen in the Worlds. Masi plays in Finnish league for Tappara. He is not that liked in Oulu either, because he hit Kamil Kreps's lights out a few years ago and caused a head injury. Kreps then beat the **** out of Masi when he could play again.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
Great size, and appears to have 'sandpaper' to his game, and a touch of offensive ability. Looks like a low-risk, good reward signing. Certainly it's better to get bottom 6 guys as free agents, then expending assets to buy 'grinder' guys like Kassian.

I don't think Kemp is a Soderberg replacement. Soderberg looks to have more offensive skills. However Kemp should be an upgrade over bottom 6 guys who are likely leaving, Paille, Campbell etc.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Did we sign him because of a great tournament? Seriously, we can't find a better center than an unproven Finnish Elite league player?

Have you read this thread at all?

He's going to be a lot better 4th line C than Campbell with 1M less, player with size, strong D-play/pk and scoring touch.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Man why can't people see this is a no cost addition.

Some people are never happy. No risk and chance for a cheap, sold bottom parodying center. Good size, good defense and some offensive skill it looks like. I don't hate him being added to the fold. More competition is good.

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Did we sign him because of a great tournament? Seriously, we can't find a better center than an unproven Finnish Elite league player?

Pretty sure I've seen you with a whining post in every single one of these no risk free agent signing threads.

But yes, Sweeney has punched the clock and we will be seeing him in September. This offseason is surely over for him after this signing. :shakehead

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I hope the Bruins sign more Finns. Every time I watch international hockey tourneys I always fall in love with the Finns. Their mix of skill and grit is what I really want for the Bruins.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
I hope the Bruins sign more Finns. Every time I watch international hockey tourneys I always fall in love with the Finns. Their mix of skill and grit is what I really want for the Bruins.
Finns shine in international tournaments mostly because of their world-class coaching. It's not that much about the individuals. I'd say Finland has the best coaching system and coaches for the big ice. Pretty decent goalie developing program too.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Finns shine in international tournaments mostly because of their world-class coaching. It's not that much about the individuals. I'd say Finland has the best coaching system and coaches for the big ice. Pretty decent goalie developing program too.

I'd say it's the best in the world.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Have you read this thread at all?

He's going to be a lot better 4th line C than Campbell with 1M less, player with size, strong D-play/pk and scoring touch.

Hey, it's this no-nonsense, tell it like it is approach that is going to land WTP a role as GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad