Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign F Joonas Kemppainen from Finland

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
A big dream we've had this whole year has been getting a new stronger/younger 4th line for next year, and now we are getting that.

We have lots of issues with our roster and this helps in one of those.

I'm not expecting to see any bigger trades now for top scorers/top D players, for those we have to wait awhile.

True. Lately however, we have been getting 4th liner after 4th liner. I`m not saying we can`t throw Connolly on the 1st line. This move seems redundant and Sodalike.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
5 good things of Kemppainen.

1. He is extremely good at face-off circle
2. He is going to war zone and really enjoys to playing there.
3. He is great defensive center.
4. Penalty killing expert.
5. Hard worker for every zone. He is never giving up.

Only thing he have to improve for 3.rd Center is that he slacks of speed a bit for nhl.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
True. Lately however, we have been getting 4th liner after 4th liner. I`m not saying we can`t throw Connolly on the 1st line. This move seems redundant and Sodalike.

I agree, but this is atleast a start, Kemppainen can be fantastic bottom6 player for us with .700M, that's how you make room when in cap trouble.

I want bigger trades/signings, we need more than this and I've been saying that manytimes, but this is a great signing.

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
I like this signing very much. What's not to like?
If he makes the team, he makes the team better, and at a modest cap hit. Someone making much more money--that he beats out for a spot--could be traded for cap relief and futures.

If he doesn't make the team, he plays in Providence for short money, and probably gets a call later in the season.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Well then who is going to score points? Nobody on this team can even get 60 points. Yeah, who needs points right?

Hopefully the players that are being paid 5-10 times his salary.

He's a cheap potential bottom six option making 700,000 on the right side of 30. It's great to see them exploring cheaper bottom 6 options that aren't burnt out vets. You have to address the fact you've for sure lost at least 2 of your PK guys and this is an area of strength for him. Even better if we get him for cheap and it makes someone like Kelly more expendable and they're able to move him.

If he can't hack it in the NHL then he'll likely be of help to Providence. To me, it's a small but smart signing.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He was the most important penaltykiller in team Finland and also in Kärpät. I'd say his PK skills are very good, maybe the best part of his game.

Sounds like a good move by Don S.

Thanks for all of the info !

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
No you are thinking of regular camp. :)

Rookie camp is usually in July sometime.

Someday you need to visit Boston and go to a few games !

Ohhh I looked at last years schedule and it had the rookie's listed but maybe that was which rookies were attending the big club, I shouldn't have edited, my original post was July but that was pure stab in the dark :laugh: oh believe me I want to, and if things end up going they way I hope over the next few months I may even be there later this year for a few games :D! :yo::naughty::D

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

So because Söderberg had a less than stellar second half of this season, everyone just feels free to ignore what he did for us before? He was, what, almost PPG in the first half of this season, and our best point producer weighed against his cap hit the last two seasons? He could have had loads more if Loui was well last year. If Kemppainen can provide anywhere near that on an even lower cap hit, that's far from redundant. That's _necessary_ if this team is to get anywhere near being contenders.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
So because Söderberg had a less than stellar second half of this season, everyone just feels free to ignore what he did for us before? He was, what, almost PPG in the first half of this season, and our best point producer weighed against his cap hit the last two seasons? He could have had loads more if Loui was well last year. If Kemppainen can provide anywhere near that on an even lower cap hit, that's far from redundant. That's _necessary_ if this team is to get anywhere near being contenders.

I think something nagged at him this past year.

I'd love him at just short of 3m at 4years.

TheFeistyFinn

Dec 31, 2011
wow i totally missed this. damn awesome. i hope that he will become solid 3rd/4th liner. he should see alot of PK time. Tuukka will be happy now that he gets countryman to chill with :)

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
Woooohhhh clode is crying of hapiness, another 7 goals 25 pts a years player he will use on pp and end of game when bruins need a goal !!!
Him and talbot are already clode master pieces for all strategy

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It's in September. In July, they hold a "development camp" for new draftees and unsigned prospects, and Junior draftees.

I am sure you are correct. I always thought of July as Rookie camp.

Any word when it will be ?

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
5 good things of Kemppainen.

1. He is extremely good at face-off circle
2. He is going to war zone and really enjoys to playing there.
3. He is great defensive center.
4. Penalty killing expert.
5. Hard worker for every zone. He is never giving up.

Only thing he have to improve for 3.rd Center is that he slacks of speed a bit for nhl.

seems like our 4th line center, especially with Spooner emerging

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
So how does this guy compare to Soda before he came over?

A lot of praise and expectations we're on soda that fell short....

I like the signing but I can't say I expect much his first season... or is he 'different' ?

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Woooohhhh clode is crying of hapiness, another 7 goals 25 pts a years player he will use on pp and end of game when bruins need a goal !!!
Him and talbot are already clode master pieces for all strategy
Why be so negative when you haven't even seen him play? According to the Finn posters here, he has shown some scoring prowess in his recent seasons.

At worst we have a Campbell replacement with more skill and a contract well under 1 mil.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
So how does this guy compare to Soda before he came over?

A lot of praise and expectations we're on soda that fell short....

I like the signing but I can't say I expect much his first season... or is he 'different' ?

Before last season, we were all calling the Yeti the best 3rd line center in hockey. He was tremendous. He had an off year, but I think he did well with us. My expectations didnt fall short with him. My expectations with the team did. I'd like to keep Carl. Who knows if this guy will even make it on the team at first shot. He might start in Prov.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
why not? weather its 4th line, 13th or 14th forward at 875k? hes a savvy vet who can play defense at virtually no cost. would be dumb to get rid of him. 1 more year here.. he can mentor the rookies we are most likely gonna be playing on the 4th

My comment was only in response to the idea there is 0% chance he's traded

Im not ecessarily advocating trading him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad