Confirmed with Link: Bruins sign F Joonas Kemppainen from Finland

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Great size, and appears to have 'sandpaper' to his game, and a touch of offensive ability. Looks like a low-risk, good reward signing. Certainly it's better to get bottom 6 guys as free agents, then expending assets to buy 'grinder' guys like Kassian.

I don't think Kemp is a Soderberg replacement. Soderberg looks to have more offensive skills. However Kemp should be an upgrade over bottom 6 guys who are likely leaving, Paille, Campbell etc.

Do we know what Soderberg's problem was this season? He played well for us the season and a half prior. Last season was a weird season for the whole team but for the Yeti it was a big step down IMO. Most everyone here seems to agree that he's gone but is there anything out there that he was injured for a good part of the season?

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Do we know what Soderberg's problem was this season? He played well for us the season and a half prior. Last season was a weird season for the whole team but for the Yeti it was a big step down IMO. Most everyone here seems to agree that he's gone but is there anything out there that he was injured for a good part of the season?

DK if he was injured, but the stats show that his production slipped badly when he was playing as the #2 center rather his usual #3 center slot, as he was playing against better players in that role (#2 center).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Haha, he was responding to What The Puck (which I think is the greatest name on this board), so I made a subtle funny with it.

That is a beautiful name :laugh:

I thought you were going to say that Campbell would have been a better 4th line C next year, I've wanted a new 4th line this whole season, a line which can create energy once again and with more size.
Kemppainen will bring his elite pk skills, size and hard work(energy) into our new 4th line.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
That is a beautiful name :laugh:

I thought you were going to say that Campbell would have been a better 4th line C next year, I've wanted a new 4th line this whole season, a line which can create energy once again and with more size.
Kemppainen will bring his elite pk skills, size and hard work(energy) into our new 4th line.

I know nothing about Kepppainen, so I'll take your word on it! No, it is time for Campbell and Pailel to move on. get young, fast, gritty on that fourth line, In julien's system (if he stays) they'll get anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes a night, so I am not worried about them leanring on the job.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Haha, he was responding to What The Puck (which I think is the greatest name on this board), so I made a subtle funny with it.

Thanks. I think so, also.

I don't mind taking a flyer on certain players, but if you are going to have those kinds of players, pick something better than this guy. When you're dollar store shopping for someone to play on the fourth line, you can do better than a guy that's mediocre in the Finnish elite league. Everyone knows that the Swedish Elite league is better. Couldn't find anything in the KHL? We already have a Russian in the AHL, so why not?

I'm just saying, if you going to do this, this is it?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I don't mind taking a flyer on certain players, but if you are going to have those kinds of players, pick something better than this guy. When you're dollar store shopping for someone to play on the fourth line, you can do better than a guy that's mediocre in the Finnish elite league. Everyone knows that the Swedish Elite league is better. Couldn't find anything in the KHL? We already have a Russian in the AHL, so why not?

He was the best 2 way player in the finnish elite league and look at his world champions, top6 C for us with strong pk/D-skills.

I have nothing against this signing, hard to get a better player with his size and skill with .700M

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
He was the best 2 way player in the finnish elite league and look at his world champions, top6 C for us with strong pk/D-skills.

I have nothing against this signing, hard to get a better player with his size and skill with .700M

Zach Hamill did better than him this year in that league. You have no idea what you're talking about.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

He's on a two-way contract, no guarantee he even makes the team. I don't see how this signing can hurt.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Zach Hamill did better than him this year in that league.

Not even close. Kemppainen played against the toughest lines with practically no PP time. In the playoffs his line carried their team to the championship and in the process he tied the playoffs most points record. It's possible JK can't produce in the NHL but him and Hamill can't really be talked about in the same sentence. In any case, he's been extensively scouted since last year so he at least has potential. Probably.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Zach Hamill did better than him this year in that league. You have no idea what you're talking about.

LOL.

The entire extent of your "scouting" seems to be looking at the scoring leader board of any league and going "get that guy!"

Seriously, how were you not appointed GM?

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
How hard would it be to pry Donskoi from San Jose? What's his value considered? Seems like the two Joonas' play well together.

Edit: I'm not to familiar with this player so if he is something we already have then disregard. I'm just looking for cheap players that could pan out.

Last edited:

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012

StatTracker Superstar strikes again.

I'm sure you watched a ton of those games that Zach Hamill played and have a solid, well versed synopsis how either one of these two players played this past season in the Finnish league.

Or you're blowing smoke out your ass and citing your Finnish stat tracker as your main source. Just a tip: make sure you're looking at the right season. Don't want another Loui Eriksson "He was invisible.... Oh wait I was looking at the wrong game on stat tracker" situation for a new member of the organization, he deserves better.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

:laugh: sure sure, I guess I've never watched our finnish elite league :laugh:

And I said 2way player. which ncludes his defense/pk skill which are pretty damm good, he was our #2C after Barkov in the world champions, Kontiola was way worse than him.

Last edited:

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
:laugh: sure sure, I guess I've never watched our finnish elite league :laugh:

And I said 2way player. which ncludes his defense/pk skill which are pretty damm good, he was our #2C after Barkov in the world champions, Kontiola was way worse than him.

It's not a comparable league, and if he's comparable to Zach offensively, he's no better than Campbell in the best case. He doesn't lead +/-. His penalty minutes aren't that great and don't indicate "physical." Please, give me a reason to get excited about a guy who scores 11 goals in that league. It's a simple fact that while he may have had a tournament, there are better candidates than him if you want to go trolling the finnish elite league for spare parts. Just because he comes from the same country as Barkov, that's the only reason they were on the ice together. They're not of the same quality at all and don't compete against comparable league competition.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
How do we pronounce his name? First is pretty easy: YOO-nahs. Last has be a bit stumped (as do most Finnish last names. Rask is very simple compared to some). Would it be kem-PIE-nen?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's not a comparable league, and if he's comparable to Zach offensively, he's no better than Campbell in the best case. He doesn't lead +/-. His penalty minutes aren't that great and don't indicate "physical." Please, give me a reason to get excited about a guy who scores 11 goals in that league. It's a simple fact that while he may have had a tournament, there are better candidates than him if you want to go trolling the finnish elite league for spare parts. Just because he comes from the same country as Barkov, that's the only reason they were on the ice together. They're not of the same quality at all and don't compete against comparable league competition.

So you've never seen him play, maybe 1 shift in the worls champions, pointless to even explain to you.

Kvartalnov_Fan

Stanley Cup Stupid!
Oct 18, 2002
Den of evil.Montreal
Visit site

Stats from the European leagues don't mean much to me. Look at the stats below...Ok, but nothing special right?

Season Team League GP G A Pts
2001-02 Dynamo Russia 21 2 2 4
2002-03 Dynamo Russia 40 8 7 15
2003-04 Dynamo Russia 53 13 10 23
2004-05 Dynamo Russia 37 13 14 27

Except those were Ovechkin's stats in Russia back in the day. The next season he went to the NHL and put up 100+ points.
Now I'm in no way saying that Kemppainen is gonna tear it up in the NHL, however stats are not the be all/end all when determining the usefulness of players.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Stats from the European leagues don't mean much to me. Look at the stats below...Ok, but nothing special right?

Except those were Ovechkin's stats in Russia back in the day. The next season he went to the NHL and put up 100+ points.
Now I'm in no way saying that Kemppainen is gonna tear it up in the NHL, however stats are not the be all/end all when determining the usefulness of players.

Exactly. I also look at a guy like Johan Franzen. His best season in the SEL was 30 points in 49 games (which he followed up the next year with 14 in 43). Yet this is the same guy that was a consistent 50-55 point guy for many years in the league and had that dominating run in the playoffs when the Wings last won the cup.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast

Kemppainen is 27 years old. You are referring to a 16 year old Alex playing professional hockey against people twice his age. :laugh:

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
Kemppainen is 27 years old. You are referring to a 16 year old Alex playing professional hockey against people twice his age. :laugh:

So guess which goalie had the following stats in the Finnish league (actually, at the same team even) when he was 27 years old:

32 games played, 2.45 GAA, .925 SVS%
Playoffs: 3 games played, 4.00 GAA, .903 SVS%

Rather average stats, aren't they? Yet this same goalie would eventually win two Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, a Jennings and be a 4-time all star.

Also, Ovechkins last season of those 4 was at 19 y/o, not 16. And would you have expected someone who scores 27 points in Russia to score 106 points in the NHL just one year older? I doubt you did.

sooni

Oct 23, 2014
Vaasa
How hard would it be to pry Donskoi from San Jose? What's his value considered? Seems like the two Joonas' play well together.

Edit: I'm not to familiar with this player so if he is something we already have then disregard. I'm just looking for cheap players that could pan out.

That is never gonna happen. Donskoi is solid top 6 player and he is only 22 years old. Even Barkov said that "Donskoi is maybe most talented player in WC tournament"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad