Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Backes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Spooner outpointed Backes last year.

True, but do you think teams were actually worried about him from a match-up standpoint.

Besides Spooner can still part of that 3 line attack approach as it stands today.

63-37-XX
XX-46-88
51-42-XX

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
True, but do you think teams were actually worried about him from a match-up standpoint.

Besides Spooner can still part of that 3 line attack approach as it stands today.

63-37-XX
XX-46-88
51-42-XX

No,but offensively at center I don't think Backes is a gain. Teams will continue to matchup on Krejci and will attempt to hide from Bergeron,when possible.Hell,I was thinking that Spooner was just beginning to tap his potential. Hopefully,he can continue to trend upward on the wing in the quest for more than 42 wins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

63-37-XX
XX-46-88
51-42-XX
Where is Beleskey

Last 3 years 6 first round picks and 5 seconds; one of them Pastrnak trails only Ekblad in goals from his draft class. Had Sweeney drafted Barzal & Connor instead of DeBrusk & Senyshyn we'd be worried how we are going to keep this dynasty together in 8 years

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Where is Beleskey

Last 3 years 6 first round picks and 5 seconds; one of them Pastrnak trails only Ekblad in goals from his draft class. Had Sweeney drafted Barzal & Connor instead of DeBrusk & Senyshyn we'd be worried how we are going to keep this dynasty together in 8 years

Beleskey is a third line winger,this team is missing 2 proven top 4 wingers,if Beleskey is on the first or second line,the team is weak coming out of the gate.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Last 3 drafts they got: Pastrnak Heinen Donato Sensyshyn DeBrusk JFK Gabrielle Frederic in the top 4 rounds up front

On D they got Zboril Carlo Lauzon McAvoy Lindgren in top two rounds

That's 13 decent prospects

Some will make it some won't but you really think 5% of the posters know the Bruins draft and it likewise goes the other way.

Come on now - you didn't really think I was being serious. I've tried staying away from the Main Board ever since the " The Bruins completely wasted their 3 1st round picks in 2015 " threads/posts started popping up. :shakehead

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Where is Beleskey

I just have no idea which line Belesky ends up on at least to start.

Same with Vatrano. Could be any of the 3 lines. But I think those two are locks for a wing position in the top 9.

Right now the unknowns could be any combination of 39, 72, and a whole bunch of other guys like Hayes, Griffith, Nash.....Vesey maybe....not to mention a young guy emerging/surprising like a Heinen or a Senhyshyn or a Debrusk.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
I just have no idea which line Belesky ends up on at least to start.

Same with Vatrano. Could be any of the 3 lines. But I think those two are locks for a wing position in the top 9.

Right now the unknowns could be any combination of 39, 72, and a whole bunch of other guys like Hayes, Griffith, Nash.....Vesey maybe....not to mention a young guy emerging/surprising like a Heinen or a Senhyshyn or a Debrusk.

I've been trying to come up with legitimate line pairings, and it just keeps on coming up that, unless Backes plays mostly Right Wing, we have too many LWs and are short at least one good RW. I don't want Hayes alongside Bergy or Krejci, but if Backes is third C, do you put him there? I don't know. Unlike many other years, I really don't think we'll have a clear idea of the specific shape of the team until the very end of spring training, if not a few weeks into the season if Sweeney makes some early season trades.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I think the plan is to have Backes start on the wing most nights. And if/when Spooner struggles or it's down to crunch time, Clode puts him as the 3C.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I like this signing more and more everyday.

Always liked the player. With Krejci-Bergy-Backes signed long term and JFK and other prospects in the wing, the C is set for years. So is G with Rask.

The D will take some time for the 15+16 draftees to come up so that's where Sweeney has to find gap players to help now.

Signing Backes gives Sweeney flexibility as he can play C or RW with Bergy or Krejci.

Let's move Spooner and add what is needed (C.Miller, Morrow, picks, etc) to get a partner for Chara. Brodin, Trouba, etc. Just get it done and the reload would be complete in the waiting of the ELC to contribute:

Marchand-Bergy-Hudler
Vesey-Krejci-Pasta
Beleskey-Backes-Vatrano
Nash-Acciari-Hayes
Heinen

Chara-Spooner trade
Krug-K.Miller
Liles-McQuaid
Morrow

Rask-Dubby

This would look very good to me.

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
I think the plan is to have Backes start on the wing most nights. And if/when Spooner struggles or it's down to crunch time, Clode puts him as the 3C.

With the Backes investment and need to acquire D, I don't think Spooner is a Bruin on opening night.

Same for McQuaid.

Just a matter of for whom and what overall package.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
With the Backes investment and need to acquire D, I don't think Spooner is a Bruin on opening night.

Same for McQuaid.

Just a matter of for whom and what overall package.

I thought the same thing until the Liles signing. I honestly thought they wouldn't qualify Morrow but they did, then someone in the Bruins organization said the see Chiller in a bigger role moving forward starting next year.

Right now I think they're just buying a year until McAvoy, Carlo, O'Gara, Grzelcyk look to supplement the current roster.

I still think Sweeney will try and target a top-2/3 defensemen in the next 365 days though.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Belskey and Backes on a line with Spooner at C would be able to keep Spooner honest, protected and Backes could do the heavy lifting on D (although I dont sctually think it will go that way, but it is an option in game if line juggling is needed. I just think Backes with Bergy makes so much sense. Line would be dynamite.

The problem I have with Spooner on the wing, and it bugged me all year is he isnt a shooter. Hes a set up guy, hes got a really good shot but for the life of me he doesnt like using it. There was a game this past season where I was posting in game saying he needs to use his shot more cos its accurate bullet fast and he will score a lot more and low and behold, about 5 minutes later he lazers one to the back of the net. If Spooner is on the wing hes gotta shoot more.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
zdeno-chara-of-the-boston-bruins-and-david-backes-of-the-st-louis-picture-id451175843

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Belskey and Backes on a line with Spooner at C would be able to keep Spooner honest, protected and Backes could do the heavy lifting on D (although I dont sctually think it will go that way, but it is an option in game if line juggling is needed. I just think Backes with Bergy makes so much sense. Line would be dynamite.

The problem I have with Spooner on the wing, and it bugged me all year is he isnt a shooter. Hes a set up guy, hes got a really good shot but for the life of me he doesnt like using it. There was a game this past season where I was posting in game saying he needs to use his shot more cos its accurate bullet fast and he will score a lot more and low and behold, about 5 minutes later he lazers one to the back of the net. If Spooner is on the wing hes gotta shoot more.

IF Vesey signs, I'd love to see...
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Vesey - Krejci - Vatrano
Belesky - Spooner - Backes

(playing on the idea that one of Spooner or Krejci isn't moved for a defenseman... but still have a lot of days left of off season)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
IF Vesey signs, I'd love to see...
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
Vesey - Krejci - Vatrano
Belesky - Spooner - Backes

(playing on the idea that one of Spooner or Krejci isn't moved for a defenseman... but still have a lot of days left of off season)

Logically I doubt that Sweeney could get much for Krejci considering that he (maybe) already or is going to have hip surgery. No matter how great the surgery on the other hip turned out I think that other GM's would be very apprehensive about giving up anyone of value for a question mark that will cost them $7,250,000 until 2021.
If anyone is going to get traded prior to the season starting it's most going to start with Ryan Spooner at $925,000 for the next 2 seasons.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Logically I doubt that Sweeney could get much for Krejci considering that he (maybe) already or is going to have hip surgery. No matter how great the surgery on the other hip turned out I think that other GM's would be very apprehensive about giving up anyone of value for a question mark that will cost them $7,250,000 until 2021.
If anyone is going to get traded prior to the season starting it's most going to start with Ryan Spooner at $925,000 for the next 2 seasons.

Krecji's hip surgery was on April 25th, and his expected recovery time is five months. So he'll likely miss the camps (or part of them), and could miss some exhibition games, but should be OK to start the season.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Have to be happy with everything he has said since getting signed. Curious to see where he lines up though. Quite a few possibilities in that regard.

He's definitely a great leader, will have a tremendous impact in the locker room. Doesn't take any ****, total team guy. He'll definitely be a guy the fans love and I'm sure the players will love him even more.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I love this signing. The guy is a great leader, can play wing or centre, kills penalties, plays the PP and hits like a truck, which is something that was missing last year.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Krecji's hip surgery was on April 25th, and his expected recovery time is five months. So he'll likely miss the camps (or part of them), and could miss some exhibition games, but should be OK to start the season.

TEAM CZECH REPUBLIC

G Petr Mrazek, Detroit Red Wings
G Michal Neuvirth, Philadelphia Flyers
G Ondrej Pavelec, Winnipeg Jets
D Radko Gudas, Philadelphia Flyers
D Michal Jordan, Carolina Hurricanes *
D Michal Kempny, Chicago Blackhawks
D Zbynek Michalek, Arizona Coyotes *
D Jakub Nakladal, Calgary Flames *
D Roman Polak, San Jose Sharks
D Andrej Sustr, Tampa Bay Lightning
F Radek Faksa, Dallas Stars *
F Michael Frolik, Calgary Flames
F Martin Hanzal, Arizona Coyotes
F Ales Hemsky, Dallas Stars *
F Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
F Dmitrij Jaskin, St. Louis Blues *
F David Krejci, Boston Bruins
F Milan Michaelk, Toronto Maple Leafs *
F Ondrej Palat, Tampa Bay Lightning
F David Pastrnak, Boston Bruins
F Tomas Plekanec, Montreal Canadiens
F Vladimir Sobotka, Avangard Omsk (KHL)
F Jakub Voracek, Philadelphia Flyers

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I honestly wish that the Bruins players would skip the tourney and just focus on the regular season.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Spooner has 1 year left. A one way deal that pays 1.1 million, (although I believe the cap hit is 950,000.00), but he will be an RFA next June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad