Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Backes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
What about Backes with spooner? For the d-zone and faceoffs have Backes play center. Let spooner carry it in the o-zone and let backes bang around as the rw on the line. I'd Love to see Vatrano-Spooner-Backes.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What about Backes with spooner? For the d-zone and faceoffs have Backes play center. Let spooner carry it in the o-zone and let backes bang around as the rw on the line. I'd Love to see Vatrano-Spooner-Backes.

Yeah, I've been talking up a third line of Beleskey -- Spooner -- Backes with the two centermen changing out on faceoffs depending on what side of the ice it's on. I think Spooner can learn a lot about the position playing with Backes.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, I've been talking up a third line of Beleskey -- Spooner -- Backes with the two centermen changing out on faceoffs depending on what side of the ice it's on. I think Spooner can learn a lot about the position playing with Backes.

I wonder if Claude would be more open to reuniting Spooner and Pastrnak if both were wingers with Backes acting as the defensive safety valve on that line. We know he didn't like it with Spooner at C.

Give Hayes to Krejci to start off. If he's going to be here (and it sure seems like he will be) let's see what he can do with a legit top-end C, which despite Hayes struggles last season, it wasn't really tried. Maybe Krejci's tendency to slow the game down will fit Hayes and his lack of mobility. Add Belesky to the other side of that line.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I wonder if Claude would be more open to reuniting Spooner and Pastrnak if both were wingers with Backes acting as the defensive safety valve on that line. We know he didn't like it with Spooner at C.

Give Hayes to Krejci to start off. If he's going to be here (and it sure seems like he will be) let's see what he can do with a legit top-end C, which despite Hayes struggles last season, it wasn't really tried. Maybe Krejci's tendency to slow the game down will fit Hayes and his lack of mobility. Add Belesky to the other side of that line.

I think giving those extra minutes to Hayes is just a waste of quality time. To me he's a guy that's going to give you the same production on the 3rd line as he would on the 1st. His best hockey was played with Talbot last season.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think giving those extra minutes to Hayes is just a waste of quality time. To me he's a guy that's going to give you the same production on the 3rd line as he would on the 1st. His best hockey was played with Talbot last season.

True, but your probably going to see a closer usage balance between the Top 3 lines than you did last year, if for nothing else Claude now trusts all 3 centers defensively.

And I'm just advocating to give it a chance to start off. If it doesn't work, no big deal.

But they tried Hayes with Spooner and it didn't work, at all. Spooner would carry the puck into the zone and Hayes was always a step or two behind the play. I'm not sure Spooner carrying the puck on the LW is going to be much different.

And to be honest, Hayes on the 4th line is a waste. He needs to play with better players to have any chance. He's either on one of the 3 scoring lines or he belongs upstairs.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Backes is a pr#ck to play against. We need a little more of that. I'd love to deal Hayes + for a tougher RW to put on a line with Beleskey and Backes.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

This is what I'd lean towards.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
True, but your probably going to see a closer usage balance between the Top 3 lines than you did last year, if for nothing else Claude now trusts all 3 centers defensively.

And I'm just advocating to give it a chance to start off. If it doesn't work, no big deal.

But they tried Hayes with Spooner and it didn't work, at all. Spooner would carry the puck into the zone and Hayes was always a step or two behind the play. I'm not sure Spooner carrying the puck on the LW is going to be much different.

And to be honest, Hayes on the 4th line is a waste. He needs to play with better players to have any chance. He's either on one of the 3 scoring lines or he belongs upstairs.

He'll likely get the least minutes out of the 9 guys on the top 3 lines IMO. Maybe they do put Backes on the 3rd line and roll all 3 lines evenly but I don't think it'll work out that way.

If they get Vesey I'm guess we'll see Hayes on the 4th line.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So many fun line combos to play with. Very curious about how Vesey turns out and if there will be any positive surprises in camp (Czarnik or DeBrusk forcing on to the team in particular). Regardless, its going to be fun seeing the young forwards push for spots and grow. More fun if they can get Shattenkirk/Brodin to bandaid the D until the kids are ready.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
With Backes ability to play center or wing I think it's going to give the Bruins a lot of options . What I worry about is, will Claude take advantage of what's available to him?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I like Backes as well, but again I don't think he's an upgrade over Eriksson. He brings a different element no doubt, and maybe his leadership makes him a better fit, but he's not the same quality player IMO

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I like Backes as well, but again I don't think he's an upgrade over Eriksson. He brings a different element no doubt, and maybe his leadership makes him a better fit, but he's not the same quality player IMO

I agree. I would rather have kept Eriksson.

Bruinsfolife

Dec 3, 2005
Montreal
I agree. I would rather have kept Eriksson.

I would have probably kept Eriksson as well. We lost some skill there no doubt but I think Backes brings a more all round game to the table. He can win faceoffs, hits a lot and will drop the gloves if need be, he's gritter than Eriksson, even though Loui did a good job in front of the net last year. The Bruins needed to get tougher and be harder to play against. I think they are better in that department with Backes here.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I would have probably kept Eriksson as well. We lost some skill there no doubt but I think Backes brings a more all round game to the table. He can win faceoffs, hits a lot and will drop the gloves if need be, he's gritter than Eriksson, even though Loui did a good job in front of the net last year. The Bruins needed to get tougher and be harder to play against. I think they are better in that department with Backes here.

Agree. I was/am a huge Loui fan but I think Backes brings elements to his game that Loui just didn't have . Simply , to me , he's a better fit.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
His breakaway + game winning goals were boring to you? We have to make up for his 30 goals ya know?

- Backes should score 20+

- Pasta should improve his goal totals anywhere from 5 to 10

- Vatrano should improve his goal totals anywhere from 5 to 10

- I can see a regression from Marchand/Bergeron by about 5 goals each

- I can see Ryan Spooner with 5 more goals

- Torey Krug should bounce back and score about 10 more goals

- We still have a top 6 wing spot to fill ( assuming Backes is on the third line ). If it's Vesey, I can see him scoring around 15

Players who are young and have the talent to progress will most likely do so. Players who are still in their primes should remain about the same if not a slight regression.

Overall, I think our offense will be fine without Eriksson as long as they perform. It's deep, talented, diverse, and with the inclusion of Backes and Nash, our 3rd and 4th lines should be better with possession.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
it's not very likely that Backes was brought in for a 3rd line center role. he'll likely play RW with DK or possibly create a competition for the 2nd line center role. he'll add depth to the third line late in games which will allow us to deploy him and spooner together. i like that his ability to play 2 positions gives claude options and we now have coverage if someone gets hurt. I think i would consider asking DK to waive his NMC before dealing spooner now.... could just be me but I think DK gets you a way better 1 for 1 piece and allows you to keep the pics and prospects as opposed to spooner ++

you could then also try spooner as 2nd line center in a year with backes as his RW and vatrano on his left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->