Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Backes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
it's not very likely that Backes was brought in for a 3rd line center role. he'll likely play RW with DK or possibly create a competition for the 2nd line center role. he'll add depth to the third line late in games which will allow us to deploy him and spooner together. i like that his ability to play 2 positions gives claude options and we now have coverage if someone gets hurt. I think i would consider asking DK to waive his NMC before dealing spooner now.... could just be me but I think DK gets you a way better 1 for 1 piece and allows you to keep the pics and prospects as opposed to spooner ++

you could then also try spooner as 2nd line center in a year with backes as his RW and vatrano on his left.

I see Bergeron, Krejci and Backes down the middle as a nightmare for opposing teams. Julien loves running three lines and we saw how well it worked for Pitt last year. If they need to load up for a late goal it gives them some great options as well.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
it's not very likely that Backes was brought in for a 3rd line center role. he'll likely play RW with DK or possibly create a competition for the 2nd line center role. he'll add depth to the third line late in games which will allow us to deploy him and spooner together. i like that his ability to play 2 positions gives claude options and we now have coverage if someone gets hurt. I think i would consider asking DK to waive his NMC before dealing spooner now.... could just be me but I think DK gets you a way better 1 for 1 piece and allows you to keep the pics and prospects as opposed to spooner ++

you could then also try spooner as 2nd line center in a year with backes as his RW and vatrano on his left.

You don't trade Krejci because you just signed a former 2nd line player on the decline who takes too many penalties.This team has too little offensive depth.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I see Bergeron, Krejci and Backes down the middle as a nightmare for opposing teams. Julien loves running three lines and we saw how well it worked for Pitt last year. If they need to load up for a late goal it gives them some great options as well.

In all honesty, if we can make our ELC and low cap wingers productive, I have a good feeling about the forward crew.

I'm still very worried about the defense at this stage.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Not a bruins fan but was just looking at the squad. What do u guys think of a top 9 (rolling the lines) of

Marchand-Krejci-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Bergeron-Hayes
Vatrano-Spooner-Backes

I feel like that 1st line would have a lot of speed, grit and scoring ability, the 2nd line is has a good mix of two way play, physicality and some scoring, then the 3rd line has high scoring potential and a net front guy/veteran leader in backes with the two kids. I view it as line 1, 2a,2b haha

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Not a bruins fan but was just looking at the squad. What do u guys think of a top 9 (rolling the lines) of

Marchand-Krejci-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Bergeron-Hayes
Vatrano-Spooner-Backes

I feel like that 1st line would have a lot of speed, grit and scoring ability, the 2nd line is has a good mix of two way play, physicality and some scoring, then the 3rd line has high scoring potential and a net front guy/veteran leader in backes with the two kids. I view it as line 1, 2a,2b haha

Honestly, I think you'd need to switch Pastrnak with Spooner, and put Backes at center, with Hayes as the third line's RW, because I'm getting the feeling we'll probably be seeing something like that...and also, no one would want to see Brad and Patrice separated. They're one of the best center/winger duos in the NHL. Belseky would make more sense with Krejci or on the third line.

Spooner's defensive game is still a work in progress; putting Backes down the center eliminates that problem for a few years. And also, I think Hayes would just be an anchor for Bergy and Marchand to carry. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think I would be.

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
the addition of backes certainly aids in CJ's matchup games as he can use backes at C on the third line and deploy spoons on the wing for teams like PITTS who can role 3 potential scoring lines.

buttttt....... is any of it going to matter with the defense the way it it? gotta think mcquaid is being shopped to some extent. and DS has to be inquiring on a piece that can play top mins.... I don't think dumbas that guy... trouba very likely, shatts with the right partner for sure.

we also need to envision who's going to replace chara on the 1st pairing after this upcoming season.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Honestly, I think you'd need to switch Pastrnak with Spooner, and put Backes at center, with Hayes as the third line's RW, because I'm getting the feeling we'll probably be seeing something like that...and also, no one would want to see Brad and Patrice separated. They're one of the best center/winger duos in the NHL. Belseky would make more sense with Krejci or on the third line.

Spooner's defensive game is still a work in progress; putting Backes down the center eliminates that problem for a few years. And also, I think Hayes would just be an anchor for Bergy and Marchand to carry. I could be wrong about that, but I don't think I would be.

As a blues fan whose watched Backes's entire career. You'd be crazy to make krejci your 3C and backes your 2C. Definitely flip flop that. But yeah I mixed up berg and krejci as marchands center.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

Marchand-Krejci-Pastrnak
Beleskey-Bergeron-Hayes
Vatrano-Spooner-Backes

Hayes with Bergeron and Beleskey ? Most Bruins fans hope Hayes is on another team come October or at the least in the press box .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad