Confirmed with Link: Bruins Sign Backes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The D resolves around Chara so asking Morrow and C Miller to play that style is going to be interesting

The guy who is much maligned who can do it is Kevan Miller and my opinion Cross. For one year Wideman would be ok with it and played for Julien. Wides can also move the puck

The colorization and up tempo Ducks style can't take place until Chara is gone and they can switch

I love Chara but he absolutely can not cover man on man he's a zone guy

Think of football secondaries

Chara can't stay with guys but is good between the dots

You also can't move him because of contract and iconic status plus many other teams don't play zone

They can win with Chara but the zone system to me makes Kevan Miller more valuable than Colin Miller or Joe Morrow

I think Cross is disciplined and good enough to play the Claude system well

I'm with you I liked what Cross did in his brief stint last October.

But I also thought Kevan Miller was the 2nd coming of a prime Dennis Seidenberg when he first got called up, so what do I know.

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
he`s improved but still not where a centerman needs to be within this particular system, it`s one that demands alot of it`s C-men and a guy like Backes is a luxury as CJ can slide him down to take on defensive faceoffs if Spoons is having a game where he`s struggling

As far as Cross goes, decient wheels defensivly responsible. Only seen him a handful of times in providence so my opinion could be completely wrong. I'm sure DKH has a better report.

Dupell6

Jul 5, 2013
the d resolves around chara so asking morrow and c miller to play that style is going to be interesting

the guy who is much maligned who can do it is kevan miller and my opinion cross. For one year wideman would be ok with it and played for julien. Wides can also move the puck

the colorization and up tempo ducks style can't take place until chara is gone and they can switch

i love chara but he absolutely can not cover man on man he's a zone guy

think of football secondaries

chara can't stay with guys but is good between the dots

you also can't move him because of contract and iconic status plus many other teams don't play zone

they can win with chara but the zone system to me makes kevan miller more valuable than colin miller or joe morrow

i think cross is disciplined and good enough to play the claude system well

100%

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As far as Cross goes, decient wheels defensivly responsible. Only seen him a handful of times in providence so my opinion could be completely wrong. I'm sure DKH has a better report.

I agree with you and he sticks up for teammates

I'm not saying he's a sure thing but on a bottom pair why not

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
The D resolves around Chara so asking Morrow and C Miller to play that style is going to be interesting

The guy who is much maligned who can do it is Kevan Miller and my opinion Cross. For one year Wideman would be ok with it and played for Julien. Wides can also move the puck

The colorization and up tempo Ducks style can't take place until Chara is gone and they can switch

I love Chara but he absolutely can not cover man on man he's a zone guy

Think of football secondaries

Chara can't stay with guys but is good between the dots

You also can't move him because of contract and iconic status plus many other teams don't play zone

They can win with Chara but the zone system to me makes Kevan Miller more valuable than Colin Miller or Joe Morrow

I think Cross is disciplined and good enough to play the Claude system well

Great post and they admit it without saying it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with you and he sticks up for teammates

I'm not saying he's a sure thing but on a bottom pair why not

You've seen a lot more of Cross than most here.

How big of a gap is there between Cross and McQuaid?

I'm guessing the gap isn't huge.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
he`s improved but still not where a centerman needs to be within this particular system, it`s one that demands alot of it`s C-men and a guy like Backes is a luxury as CJ can slide him down to take on defensive faceoffs if Spoons is having a game where he`s struggling

Bingo

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I don't consider this an over react. Not only would I have signed Backes I had the money and term.

The plan is really quite simple - draft and develop young defense and take the D from black & white TV to HDTV is my analogy.

Lindgren Lauzon OGara Grzelcyk McAvoy Zboril Arnesson Chiller Carlo etc will in the end fight it out to join Torey Krug

They are covered down the middle for the next 3-5 years and have added prospects to this area - JFK Frederic Fitzgerald Acciari

They got 3 or 4 of their top three line wings
covered as they wait on Heinen, Vatrano, DeBrusk, Sensyshyn, Gabrielle, Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik and hopefully Vesey

The plan sure as **** obvious to me and I think they are strong enough to compete while they do it. This place acts like they had 67 points and were the 1975 Capitals. They may suck but they were in first on March 18 and they will be a better team in October. I've read how Seidenberg blows for 10 months so just removing him they must be a point better. Right ?

One thing you and everyone else who reads these ridiculous rants and doom posts. The Bruins in March of 2011 went to Montreal and Toronto and got swept and outscored like 8-2 or 9-1 and this place was like a war zone

Most infractions I ever saw folks banned people starting threads to fire Clode, get rid of Thomas he can't win a big game, Ryder blows- and why is Johnny Boychuk on this team was my favorite.

In summary - I get the plan Joe gets the plan Dom gets the plan Kirk gets the plan my season ticket out to eat club gets the plan my friends and kid get the plan

Joe Haggerty doesn't Michael Felger doesn't and people who morons that call others morons on this board then act like victims

I think Haggerty gets it he's just pissed at Sweeney due to lack of access

As usual, DKH, great post. Appreciated.

I'm still concerned with the D, and also re-signing Pasta/Marchand (especially if Pasta has a big year).

So, I'm not in agreement 100%, but I get it.

Also, hope I'm not in your "morons calling others morons" category. :laugh:

Last edited:

member 96824

It's not a bad place to be. We have a nice support group that gets together every Wednesday. Shrimp the size of your palm. Can't beat it!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As usual, DKH, great post. Appreciated.

I'm not in agreement 100%, but I get it.

No but I did see a few posts after I said I loved the signing the morons over there. No problem I don't stay angry long

Sweeney has made some moves that drive me nuts

A third for Rinaldo? Really. Marchand was a third. Sobotka was a third. You telling me you couldn't have got him for a 5th or 6th? A fourth was a joke

Liles for a 3 and 5. Seriously ? He's worth at best a third and a 4th sounds fair

Stempniak for a 2 & 4? I guess a second but the 4th also - Heinen & Gabrielle were 4rhs

He needs to negotiate better or walk away gross overpayment

The Reilly Smith deal was made in haste - they couldn't wait to move him and I think he wishes he thought that one more through and maybe dealt with it differently. But hindsight is 20/20.

They thought they had Loui traded for Shattenkirk and it broke down pretty late

I'm sure there is other stuff but my biggest gripe is giving up excess picks in deals

The draft picks was another but I understand better now what they are doing- we will see how it plays out but they are sticking to it they certainly did last 2 drafts

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't consider this an over react. Not only would I have signed Backes I had the money and term.

The plan is really quite simple - draft and develop young defense and take the D from black & white TV to HDTV is my analogy.

Lindgren Lauzon OGara Grzelcyk McAvoy Zboril Arnesson Chiller Carlo etc will in the end fight it out to join Torey Krug

They are covered down the middle for the next 3-5 years and have added prospects to this area - JFK Frederic Fitzgerald Acciari

covered as they wait on Heinen, Vatrano, DeBrusk, Sensyshyn, Gabrielle, Bjork, Donato, Cehlarik and hopefully Vesey

The plan sure as **** obvious to me and I think they are strong enough to compete while they do it. This place acts like they had 67 points and were the 1975 Capitals. They may suck but they were in first on March 18 and they will be a better team in October. I've read how Seidenberg blows for 10 months so just removing him they must be a point better. Right ?

One thing you and everyone else who reads these ridiculous rants and doom posts. The Bruins in March of 2011 went to Montreal and Toronto and got swept and outscored like 8-2 or 9-1 and this place was like a war zone

Most infractions I ever saw folks banned people starting threads to fire Clode, get rid of Thomas he can't win a big game, Ryder blows- and why is Johnny Boychuk on this team was my favorite.

In summary - I get the plan Joe gets the plan Dom gets the plan Kirk gets the plan my season ticket out to eat club gets the plan my friends and kid get the plan

Joe Haggerty doesn't Michael Felger doesn't and people who morons that call others morons on this board then act like victims

I think Haggerty gets it he's just pissed at Sweeney due to lack of access

I don't make your list of people who understand the plan? After my thread and everything? :laugh:

It may be because I'm still insistent on bringing in a partner for Chara before the season starts. I think the current options are either too green or too heavy footed to work there.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don't make your list of people who understand the plan? After my thread and everything? :laugh:

It may be because I'm still insistent on bringing in a partner for Chara before the season starts. I think the current options are either too green or too heavy footed to work there.

Don't feel bad I didn't either really - I figured the D part but the Ducks model was something explained to me and it sure makes sense

Now if they can only get a Corey Perry and Lindholm out of their group

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
I'm curious as to where he will play. Can't believe he ends up a 3rd line center, if so what about spooner? Trade bait for d-man Maybe Rw for Bergeron?(backes)

True, that is a lot of money spend on someone who is likely to be a 3rd line center.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Should had done nothing major in the UFA market.
Maybe Brouwer or something cheaper. The D is not getting younger or better and acquiring good young d without drafing them is extremly expensive and costs a ton of assests. I don't see thos assets right now without morgating the future.
it's just look like status quo for now at best since Chara is even older.
I know Bergy, marchand and Krecji are really good but have a hard time seeing a quick fix like Backes is the answer. He is good but that contract will get ugly fast.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
True, that is a lot of money spend on someone who is likely to be a 3rd line center.

Kessel cost a lot for a 'third liner' and that worked out quite nicely. The beauty is that we can almost roll three top 6 lines. Claude will be in dreamland will the amount of mixing and matching he can do.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I doubt Backes had more than 30 million reasons to sign elsewhere. I am sure he found the most reasons to sign here.

Exactly. Takes me to that "is Boston a FA destination" thread. Cash is king. For that contract he would have played in Juneau. Far and away the best he was going to get. Took any other questions right off the table.

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
I've liked everything I've heard about Backes in terms of how he'll fit and the type of leadership he'll bring. I believe it was Kirk on 98.5 the other day saying he is a vocal leader like Recchi where he'll call guys out and get in their faces if need be, and he sounds like that in his interview as well.

And think about how Pittsburgh was with three lines with scoring stars on them, creating matchup difficulties for other teams. That's what this appears to be like. And imagine you're a young free agent, maybe fresh out of college, maybe deciding on Boston and you see the opportunity to play with either Krejci, Bergeron, or Backes right out of the gate. Not too shabby.

I'm still cautious, don't get me wrong. We used to say Eriksson was a "better fit" too. But, I am optimistic and like the plan.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I've liked everything I've heard about Backes in terms of how he'll fit and the type of leadership he'll bring. I believe it was Kirk on 98.5 the other day saying he is a vocal leader like Recchi where he'll call guys out and get in their faces if need be, and he sounds like that in his interview as well.

And think about how Pittsburgh was with three lines with scoring stars on them, creating matchup difficulties for other teams. That's what this appears to be like. And imagine you're a young free agent, maybe fresh out of college, maybe deciding on Boston and you see the opportunity to play with either Krejci, Bergeron, or Backes right out of the gate. Not too shabby.

I'm still cautious, don't get me wrong. We used to say Eriksson was a "better fit" too. But, I am optimistic and like the plan.

Spooner outpointed Backes last year.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC

Now wait just a damn minute here. Why are you saying that we have so many good prospects coming up when at least 95% of fans of other teams keep posting on the Main Board that all of our picks the last few years completely suck ( especially those 3 turds we picked in the 1st round in 2015 ) and none of them will ever be good NHL players. Are you actually telling me that these all-knowing posters are wrong ???? :laugh:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Now wait just a damn minute here. Why are you saying that we have so many good prospects coming up when at least 95% of fans of other teams keep posting on the Main Board that all of our picks the last few years completely suck ( especially those 3 turds we picked in the 1st round in 2015 ) and none of them will ever be good NHL players. Are you actually telling me that these all-knowing posters are wrong ???? :laugh:

Last 3 drafts they got: Pastrnak Heinen Donato Sensyshyn DeBrusk JFK Gabrielle Frederic in the top 4 rounds up front

On D they got Zboril Carlo Lauzon McAvoy Lindgren in top two rounds

That's 13 decent prospects

Some will make it some won't but you really think 5% of the posters know the Bruins draft and it likewise goes the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad