Confirmed with Link: Bruins re-sign McQuaid (4yrs/11m)

Iceman12

Nov 22, 2014
Thrilled that Quaider is back! Don't listen to the blowhards on talk radio (i.e Felger), McQuaid is a very serviceable defenseman and his salary is inline as to what he'd get on the open market (probably a little less). You cannot underestimate the toughness he brings to a team that is loaded with soft players. He always sticks up for his teammates and is very adept in getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Thrilled that Quaider is back! Don't listen to the blowhards on talk radio (i.e Felger), McQuaid is a very serviceable defenseman and his salary is inline as to what he'd get on the open market (probably a little less). You cannot underestimate the toughness he brings to a team that is loaded with soft players. He always sticks up for his teammates and is very adept in getting the puck out of the defensive zone.

You don't pay everyone in line with the open market in a cap league. You pay your high end players and you backfill with cheap veterans and ELCs.

Adam McQuaid is exactly the type of player you thank for his time when he gets to UFA and move on.

And I question how much hockey you watch before the whistle because he's horrendous at getting the puck out of his own zone.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You don't pay everyone in line with the open market in a cap league. You pay your high end players and you backfill with cheap veterans and ELCs.

Adam McQuaid is exactly the type of player you thank for his time when he gets to UFA and move on.

And I question how much hockey you watch before the whistle because he's horrendous at getting the puck out of his own zone.

Exactly on both counts.

McQuaid would of been a stud in 1995.

Here in 2015 the game has changed and D-men who bring physical play, weak transition, and little else are on their way to extinction slowly behind the almost-extinct enforcer.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I am so upset about the Hamilton trade but I can't get upset with Quaider. Such an honest player. It has been a lot of freak injuries with him I will go out on a limb and say he will be healthier than he has been going forward. He was about the only guy protecting teammates down the stretch last year and with the ********* roster they have now he will earn his money.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love the deal. He can play on my team - will be great source to help the three amigos get acclimated to NHL when their time comes. Take this with a grain of Sault but Cheaper than expected to

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I know your writing well but says you just joined in May. What names with an s did you go by in past. I read this post and it all came back:laugh:

Remember the hate McQuaid well
Welcome back

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Glad to have Quaider back! I see him and Krug taking on bigger leadership roles with this team moving forward.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I like Mcquaid a lot but thats just way too much $ for an aging d man who is always hurt. Why does his Salary double?

he's 28. He would have gotten 3.5m in UFA.

I think Miller could have been an adequate replacement, but I am pretty happy with having him back.

Felger had a meltdown it was hilarious

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
he's 28. He would have gotten 3.5m in UFA.

Exactly. Now, I would probably not have signed him myself, instead gone with the cheaper alternatives and spent the money elsewhere. But this is definitely not an over payment.

I also have no problem with the four year deal. It will be the ages 28-32, the usual prime for a defensman.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I know your writing well but says you just joined in May. What names with an s did you go by in past. I read this post and it all came back:laugh:

Remember the hate McQuaid well
Welcome back

Apparently you don't.

I don't hate McQuaid at all. He just is what he is. He's a fine bottom pairing guy. But even Claude Julien didn't think highly enough of his game to give him top 4 minutes this year. There's rightly talk of transitioning the puck better to play a faster heavier game, McQuaid isn't an asset in that area. And we drafted 3 guys who are going to need bottom pairing minutes to break into the lineup. They're essentially blocked now. This isn't about "hating" a player. It's juvenile to insinuate that from my comments. I just prefer they allocate limited resources better.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
A tad rich right now but if Quaider isn't resigned who is going to stand up for his team mates. He's all we have left. Miller is not Quaider and only one year from a new deal. I can live his deal especially going forward. In four years 2.75 will not be a lot of money for a Quaider

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
A tad rich right now but if Quaider isn't resigned who is going to stand up for his team mates. He's all we have left. Miller is not Quaider and only one year from a new deal. I can live his deal especially going forward. In four years 2.75 will not be a lot of money for a Quaider

It's June, rather than worry about who might be able to cheaply stand up for teammates, we're worried about who is replacing high end talent, 30 goal scorers and top pairing defensemen. I know which is more concerning to me.

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
I'm happy ---very underrated and would have got north of 3 on the open market.

People heavily criticized what Engelland got on the open market last year Calgary is happy with that deal now --and McQuaid is twice the player as DE.

I'm pleased to see McQuaid get a new contract also. Solid defenseman.

He indeed would have gotten more as a UFA. People are complaining about the contract being 4 years, but the Bruins should have no trouble trading him with his cap hit if the need arises.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
jiFfM.jpg

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It's June, rather than worry about who might be able to cheaply stand up for teammates, we're worried about who is replacing high end talent, 30 goal scorers and top pairing defensemen. I know which is more concerning to me.

See, I see endless possibilities. I'll worry ,and sound off again if and when it's October and the right moves have not been made. A lot of posters, me included, posted some pretty emotional stuff on Friday. It's what comes with trading a player like Hamilton for what seems like an unfair return. I don't think to many of us fans were ready or expected to see Hamilton go. Today I'm more comfortable with it. I'm not happy Hamilton is gone but I want to see the big picture that management sees. Hopefully they see a bigger picture. The knee jerk reaction is outrage, like it was when Seguin was traded. There was a plan, it didn't work out but there was a plan. I want to see what the plan is this time around, then I'll judge.

McQuaid is often sold as nothing more than a 6th liner, which is unfair. McQuaid is much more than a 6th liner to me. He's a team player like no other on this team, nobody, and that includes Lucic, stood up for his teammates the way Quaider did last season. Sad thing was when he was cross-checked in the throat not a single soul came to his defence. Meanwhile even after that he still stood up for his teammates even though nobody stood up for him.

He is an important PK D and plays his role well.

He sets an example that every teammate should follow and has the respect of all his teammates. He is a leader by example and that is why he get's the contract he gets even as a "6th D". The contract over the 4 year term is fair, a little high now but it evens it self out by the end of the contract. We both know he would have gotten more on the open market. He knows that too, yet he left money on the table to remain a Bruin. How many past and present Bruins have done that ?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Overpaying role and depth players, while we lose our high end talent for salary reasons?

I guess, I'll say, meh, I like McQuaid, and as long as he doesn't have an NTC, it should be ok.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Only thing I was happy about on black Friday. McQuaid is a player you don't realize how much you miss until he is gone, see Shawn Thornton and Andrew Ference as perfect examples.

The advanced stat geeks don't like him because he takes penalties, the pacifists don't like him because he fights. Hockey fans like him because he is a throwback defenseman who hits, clears the crease and stands up for his teammates.

Injuries are my only concern with McQuaid.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
You could tell he wanted to come back. He waited for the Bruins to make an offer and signed for less. We complain about players not giving the home town discount. Well this guy just did it. He's not a star player but he is needed just as well. I have no complaints about this signing. I confused why people are harping on this signing. You need defenseman to play in the 5 or 6 spot. Possibly the 4 if he can play consistently with out getting hurt.

Hopefully someone can stick up for him this year. Last year was pathetic show of teammates showing the yellow stripes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad