Confirmed with Link: Bruins re-sign McQuaid (4yrs/11m)

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
In a perfect world, there would be other options. But we don't live in a perfect world and there aren't really better options out there internally for a RH physical stay at home guy

Kevan Miller is literally the perfect other option.

At least 80% of the player McQuaid is (with the potential to be even better IMO) but at $800K hit instead of $2.75 mil hit.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
In a perfect world, there would be other options. But we don't live in a perfect world and there aren't really better options out there internally for a RH physical stay at home guy and externally, we'd be paying more to bring someone in.
Bruins can't afford a 2.75m 3rd pairing dman.

They already have Krug who may or may not be able to play top 4 this year.

That is over 6m for their 3rd pairing.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

At least 80% of the player McQuaid is (with the potential to be even better IMO) but at $800K hit instead of $2.75 mil hit.

Miller will probably be back.

he's not as good as McQuaid (as you stated) and were is he suddenly getting this big progression from?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012

Yep. So frustrating. We could easily have passed off any one of K. Miller, C. Miller, or Trotman in the #6 D-role (those 3 make $2.0275 million combined), both for next season and going forward in the next 4 seasons. Like, it wasn't a need whatsoever to resign him. RD is a huge problem overall, but not with the bottom pair.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

No, he's not 80 percent of the player McQuaid is. I think he's better at McQuaid at certain things. But I do tend to forget about Miller when thinking about the Bruins blueline and that's because of his small sample size in the league. McQuaid is the same age and has more experience. Let's not forget that the Bruins had specifically said that they want players who want to be here. McQuaid wanted to be here and took probably a 30-40 percent pay cut off what he could have gotten in the open market to do so. Obviously that combined with his attributes made the Bruins want to keep him. I think it's a good move. One of Trotman, Miller, and McQuaid is going to have to step up and take on the responsibilities of a top 4. Barring trades or camp surprises from one of the younger kids, I think we'll see Trotman on the top pair with Chara, McQuaid on the second pair with Seids, and Miller on the bottom pairing with Krug.

j44thor

Mar 27, 2008
so in your mind Mcquaid is a useless goon who cant play hockey at all.

good to know.

Didn't say he was useless and can't play hockey at all but the stats more than back up that he is fungible. He was something like 160th in possession stats last year. The reality is he does more harm than good when he is on the ice because the puck spends the vast majority of the time in the defensive end thus his "Stay at home" defenseman label.

If you aren't a true "shut down" defensemen, an extremely rare breed, then a "stay at home" defenseman simply means you are a liability. Seidenberg used to be a shut down defensemen, post injuries he is now a liability.

McQuaid has never been a shut down defensemen but hey grit and sandpaper wins right?

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Miller will probably be back.

he's not as good as McQuaid (as you stated) and were is he suddenly getting this big progression from?

Big progression? It wouldn't have to be that big at all to be better than McQuaid. But how about the fact that he's only played just over a season in the NHL and is a year younger than McQuaid? He had literally the best +/- of any Bruin defender last season and more experience can only help IMO.

At worst, he's already close to the ability of McQuaid for less than a third of the cost.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
No, he's not 80 percent of the player McQuaid is. I think he's better at McQuaid at certain things. But I do tend to forget about Miller when thinking about the Bruins blueline and that's because of his small sample size in the league. McQuaid is the same age and has more experience.

Not to nitpick, but Miller is a full year younger.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Sad to see the hate for other deals roll over onto McQuaid.

He took a discount to remain in Boston.

He did, clearly. Still doesn't make it a good deal for Boston.

Love McQuaid. Love that he was clearly willing to stay here for less. Still doesn't mean it was the right thing for the team to do.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Didn't say he was useless and can't play hockey at all but the stats more than back up that he is fungible. He was something like 160th in possession stats last year. The reality is he does more harm than good when he is on the ice because the puck spends the vast majority of the time in the defensive end thus his "Stay at home" defenseman label.

If you aren't a true "shut down" defensemen, an extremely rare breed, then a "stay at home" defenseman simply means you are a liability. Seidenberg used to be a shut down defensemen, post injuries he is now a liability.

McQuaid has never been a shut down defensemen but hey grit and sandpaper wins right?

yup it does, which is great, cause according to you, that's all he is.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I love Dale but he tried to say Adam McQuaid was a No.4 dman on Friday. Maybe he was just reeling in shock from the disasters of the day, and was desperate to grab onto something positive, but McQuaid is a bottom pairing dman on a good team. If he is in the top 4, your team isn't that good.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Big progression? It wouldn't have to be that big at all to be better than McQuaid. But how about the fact that he's only played just over a season in the NHL and is a year younger than McQuaid? He had literally the best +/- of any Bruin defender last season and more experience can only help IMO.

At worst, he's already 80% of McQuaid for less than a third of the cost.

The most pressing issue is that this is about a #6 D-man, which is one of the most cushy roles on the team. Miller executed that role to a T beside Krug. It's not a difficult role to play; you're going to get a lot of O-zone starts and go up against lesser competition. Miller is rocking around a 70 GF% on that pairing in his 2 years in Boston, which is excellent. He also has much better PK numbers than McQuaid since he's been in Boston, with more SH TOI.

To be perfectly honest, I think Miller may be a straight-up better player, albeit he's more risky because we've only seen him play ~90 games.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

At worst, he's already close to the ability of McQuaid for less than a third of the cost.

disagree, he's not that close to Mcquaid.

and i'll say it again, who the hell really cares about comparing the two as if it were a choice between one or the other since they will both probably on the team.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
and i'll say it again, who the hell really cares about comparing the two as if it were a choice between one or the other since they will both probably on the team.

Because it means either (a) Miller will be sitting, which is a waste or (b) McQuaid will be on your second pairing, which is somewhat frightening.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
what's your D pairings for next year look like then?

Honestly, no clue. I thought I had a fairly good idea before this weekend, but they clearly had/have a different plan for that unit. I have a feeling half of the spots aren't even close to being decided (1 or 2 of the top 6 probably aren't even on our roster today) and won't be until camp/preseason.

If anyone says they know, they'd be lying. It's all guesswork at this point.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He did, clearly. Still doesn't make it a good deal for Boston.

Love McQuaid. Love that he was clearly willing to stay here for less. Still doesn't mean it was the right thing for the team to do.

There's also a perception issue at play here too I think. It took Chia years to erase the perception that the Bruins were a penny pinching team and that it was indeed a desirable place to play. If the new management deems their 22 year old stud dman too much of a financial risk and their 28 year old dman who is loyal enough to take a hometown discount to stay not worthy enough of an under market contract, then how does that make us look to other players, both free agents and soon to be free agents currently on the team?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Krug-Miller the last 2 seasons

661:31 ES TOI, 67.9 O-Zone Start %
2.27 GF/60, 1.00 GA/60, 69.4 GF%
56.14 CF/60, 47.16 CA/60, 54.3 CF%

Krug-McQuaid the last 2 seasons

509:39 ES TOI, 60.2 O-Zone Start %
2.47 GF/60, 2.24 GA/60, 52.5 GF%
54.51 CF/60, 53.10 CA/60, 50.7 CF%

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
There's also a perception issue at play here too I think. It took Chia years to erase the perception that the Bruins were a penny pinching team and that it was indeed a desirable place to play. If the new management deems their 22 year old stud dman too much of a financial risk and their 28 year old dman who is loyal enough to take a hometown discount to stay not worthy enough of an under market contract, then how does that make us look to other players, both free agents and soon to be free agents currently on the team?

That ship has sailed IMO. The bad press is out there for the Hamilton mess....and now it's even being linked to the Seguin mess. The national press is calling it a trend. The Bs look really bad right now and anything potentially positive about the Mcquaid deal is being drowned out.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Honestly, no clue. I thought I had a fairly good idea before this weekend, but they clearly had/have a different plan for that unit. I have a feeling half of the spots aren't even close to being decided (1 or 2 of the top 6 probably aren't even on our roster today) and won't be until camp/preseason.

If anyone says they know, they'd be lying. It's all guesswork at this point.

Chara/Seids
krug/mcquiad

Morrow

Bartowskie/Miller/Warsofsky/etc etc

Hard to imagine Morrow not finally getting his shot.

how many of the Bart/Miller/Wars have one way deals for next year?

things could change with trades and a signing, but limited cap, lots of talk of getting the young guys some playing time to develop etc etc etc

hard not to see them sticking with those 4 in some capacity.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
McQuaid at 2.75m doesn't bother me. Kid is a gamer, loves to get physical, makes the safe play. Money can be saved at other spots before I start complaining about McQuaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad