Confirmed with Link: Bruins re-sign McQuaid (4yrs/11m)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sweeney has no business calling himself a gm. This is literally one of the worst single day performances by a gm in nhl history. Resigning mcquaid t a deal like this is just the last straw.

mayday8

Apr 13, 2010
Southie
A little overpaid sure, but we're talking what, 3.8% of the cap? Would people really be happier with him at say 2%? Not worth whining over in my mind. If you wanted him back this number is fine. Young tough d man who can eat up minutes during the regular season and brings playoff experience, grit, and has a cup.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Sweeney has no business calling himself a gm. This is literally one of the worst single day performances by a gm in nhl history. Resigning mcquaid t a deal like this is just the last straw.

And he's not even done yet.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
THis isn't overpaid. Term is correct.

Will be an awkward contract if Chara and Seids can't be moved and there is someone else similar on the roster potentially but its great value.

No brainer really.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What a Joke of a deal. I love what McQuaid does for this team but he's injury prone and just a 5/6. What an absolutely horrible day for the Bruins so far.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
So we have 4 RHD under contract for next season (K. Miller, C. Miller, McQuaid, Trotman) that could play NHL roles. None of them should be expected to play higher than bottom pair. Even if you put Seids on the right, it's going to be unbearably rough this year.

This is literally the worst contract I've seen in Boston. Not even kidding. No upside, high cap hit, long term, very risky due to injury history, and he's VERY replaceable even right now. Hell, even last year. Truly awful.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
sweeney take the wheel. wild ride. better than chiarelli sitting on his hands and the ensuing "we explored all avenues" presser. We will see whether the cooky ballsy sweeney method or the patient boring chiarelli method, was better for the franchise in time.

as far as the deal, for me. it all comes down to the NTC. is there one? if so, hate it. if not, don't hate it. how many times at the deadline were the bruins looking for bascially the type of player mcquaid is but had to settle for zanon or meszaros. There will be takers in a couple years for mcquaid for good returns..as long as he can't veto them. 2.7 isn't a cap killer.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
sweeney take the wheel. wild ride. better than chiarelli sitting on his hands and the ensuing "we explored all avenues" presser. We will see whether the cooky ballsy sweeney method or the patient boring chiarelli method, was better for the franchise in time.

as far as the deal, for me. it all comes down to the NTC. is there one? if so, hate it. if not, don't hate it. how many times at the deadline were the bruins looking for bascially the type of player mcquaid is but had to settle for zanon or meszaros. There will be takers in a couple years for mcquaid for good returns..as long as he can't veto them. 2.7 isn't a cap killer.

This. McQuaid was very good last season and if that's what we are getting, I like the deal. He would have gotten that on the open market. Ditto on the NTC - he can always be moved for assets at the TD.

Frankly, I don't hate the Hamilton deal. Hamilton was a huge disappointment last year. If that was shades of seasons to come, that was a good deal too.

Will miss Luc but good value coming back.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I mean 4 years. Jesus christ you think you wont be able to replace him before that?

Oh, wait, you literally have a replacement now in Miller.

And Trotman.

Did Sweeney really think he couldn't find a 3rd pair RD in the next 4 years?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I am pretty sure Adam could have gotten more elsewhere.

He definitely could have.

Love McQuaid. Can't be upset that he's back, because I think he's awesome.

But MAN our defense looks weak. In conjunction with the other crap that's gone down today, this just doesn't jazz me. And it doesn't make me any more optimistic.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I'm happy ---very underrated and would have got north of 3 on the open market.

People heavily criticized what Engelland got on the open market last year Calgary is happy with that deal now --and McQuaid is twice the player as DE.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Oh, the drama.

Thought there was no chance McQuaid came back. With all the turmoil today, it became possible.

People are intent about addressing the physicality, well, be happy.

But go ahead and piss and moan about a couple hundred grand.

There are still many moves to come.

No problem with anything that's gone down.

Just make the picks.

Donnie didn't want to pay Hall of Fame long term prices for Hamilton who has serious defensive question marks. Take the picks and relief.

Lucic, not the player he once was. Pick. Big prospect. A nice back up. Relief, at least down the road.

Wait. There will be a slash acquisition or two before the season starts.

Ryan77

Jan 3, 2015
I feel really bad for the new GM an the new coach who take over this mess in a year.

Julien set up to fail and Sweeney ummmmm don't know what he is

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I mean 4 years. Jesus christ you think you wont be able to replace him before that?

Oh, wait, you literally have a replacement now in Miller.

Yep. Not a fan of this signing. As you said, you already have Miller who play a similar game so... why are you spending on McQuaid. Puzzling move.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Glad he's back and longer term. Love what he brings to the team - perfect bottom half defenseman and the kind of intelligent toughness the team needs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad