Confirmed with Link: Bruins re-sign McQuaid (4yrs/11m)

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You could tell he wanted to come back. He waited for the Bruins to make an offer and signed for less. We complain about players not giving the home town discount. Well this guy just did it. He's not a star player but he is needed just as well. I have no complaints about this signing. I confused why people are harping on this signing. You need defenseman to play in the 5 or 6 spot. Possibly the 4 if he can play consistently with out getting hurt.

Hopefully someone can stick up for him this year. Last year was pathetic show of teammates showing the yellow stripes.

Funny how some players say they want to come back and some players like McQuaid follow through. He could easily have made more on the open market. Worth every penny and then some. Bruin through and through.

j44thor

Mar 27, 2008
Only thing I was happy about on black Friday. McQuaid is a player you don't realize how much you miss until he is gone, see Shawn Thornton and Andrew Ference as perfect examples.

The advanced stat geeks don't like him because he takes penalties, the pacifists don't like him because he fights. Hockey fans like him because he is a throwback defenseman who hits, clears the crease and stands up for his teammates.

Injuries are my only concern with McQuaid.

That is so wrong, the advanced stats don't like him because he can't get the puck out of his own zone. He can't get the puck out because he is slow and would rather line up a big hit instead of getting to the puck first and making a quick outlet pass. As others have said this contract would be great in 2005. The NHL is evolving and D need to be able to get the puck out of their own end first and foremost. The Blackhawks clearly understand this. The Bruins apparently think blocking shots and hits are most important. The problem with that is that both of those skills only come into play when you don't have the puck. If you have the puck the majority of the time you are going to be a much better defensive team.

OConnellsProtege

Nov 23, 2011
It will be interesting to see what Quaider can do through his prime years (28-32) here in Boston. I always found him to be quite good defensively for a bottom 6 guy and the awarded contract wasn't too bad.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
You don't pay everyone in line with the open market in a cap league. You pay your high end players and you backfill with cheap veterans and ELCs.

Adam McQuaid is exactly the type of player you thank for his time when he gets to UFA and move on.

And I question how much hockey you watch before the whistle because he's horrendous at getting the puck out of his own zone.

I love Quaider, love his contributions over the years, sticking up for teammates.

But he's the wrong player for us, and this is a bad contract.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
was slightly below market for him (engellynd got 3.5m?) but K Miller was a cheaper replacement for a #5/6
I hate when people say that.

Would you trade for Engelland? did anybody but the Flames management like the Engelland signing? freakin Jeff Finger got paid years ago, Clarkson and Clowe...

i don't care about how much of a great guy McQuaid is. how great a 3rd pairing Dman he is. How tough he is. The Bruins were in cap hell. in the past they had to trade Seguin(who now may have the best contract in the league) because of this, had to move Boychuk because of this.

You don't renovate your attic if the roof is leaking. total cap mismanagement by the Bruins. and what worries me is not the fact that they made a mistake, it's the fact that they keep making the same mistake over and over and over again.

Put McQuaid on the trade market now. is he even tradeable?

Put Hamilton on the market at 7m and he would draw plenty of interest...But yeah, the Bruins are smarter than everybody else.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Don't sign McQuaid. Don't retain on Lucic.

Use money to sign Hamilton.

Too logical. Besides, I think Hamilton was thinking of getting a tattoo. And I heard he once went to a Boston bar. Even drank beer once. Clearly, too much of a party boy. Send him out.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
why are we ok with overpaying a bottom pairing dman 750k but not a top pairng dman 1.5m?

Thing is, McQuaid is not overpaid. That's a definite under market value contract for a dman at his age and status.

After losing ( or on the verge of ) Hamilton, the Bruins couldn't afford to let another one of their veteran dmen on the right side. Boychuk, Hamilton, and McQuaid gone, all you would have left for RH dmen is Miller and Trotman, both who have shown flashes but in small samples.

j44thor

Mar 27, 2008
Thing is, McQuaid is not overpaid. That's a definite under market value contract for a dman at his age and status.

After losing ( or on the verge of ) Hamilton, the Bruins couldn't afford to let another one of their veteran dmen on the right side. Boychuk, Hamilton, and McQuaid gone, all you would have left for RH dmen is Miller and Trotman, both who have shown flashes but in small samples.

What status? Oft-injured fungible tough guy?

The problem with this current FO is they value toughness and grit over skill. You know who was skilled last season TB and CHI. You know who didn't have "tough guys" TB and CHI.
I doubt McQuaid suits up for either team in the playoffs. You need speed in today's NHL, not guys that can punch other guys in the face.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

The problem with this current FO is they value toughness and grit over skill. You know who was skilled last season TB and CHI. You know who didn't have "tough guys" TB and CHI.
I doubt McQuaid suits up for either team in the playoffs. You need speed in today's NHL, not guys that can punch other guys in the face.

Oft injured, yes. He's also a dependable stay at home physical dman on a team that lacks that. They get paid in this league, especially at his age and experience.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal

Hamilton and Boychuk are top 3 Dman.

McQuaid is not. he isn't even a top4...not on a good team anyways.

Now you want to say that Mcquaid is not overpayed...fine

But The Bruins are in no shape Capwise to pay a oft-injured bottom pairing dman 2.75m

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

But The Bruins are in no shape Capwise to pay a oft-injured bottom pairing dman 2.75m

In a perfect world, there would be other options. But we don't live in a perfect world and there aren't really better options out there internally for a RH physical stay at home guy and externally, we'd be paying more to bring someone in.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

so in your mind Mcquaid is a useless goon who cant play hockey at all.

good to know.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

thing is, its looking more and more like we don't have a good team, and its looking more and more like McQuaid will be playing in the top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad