Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Rangers 01/23/13 "Gabotrick Edition"

SupersonicMonkey*

Richards is still a top quality player. For every bad play there has been a brilliant one.

Without him our center core is a horror show. Stepan fits much better on the second line and, until he takes a big step forward will continue to be primarily a 2nd line player.

He was, after all spending legitimate time on the 4th line in key situations last year, including some in the playoffs.

That's not my point. I didn't suggest taking him out of the lineup. I suggested opening his eyes to the fact he's pressing to do too much. Keep it simple stupid.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
First line looks great but they're very thin after that.

Jason Arnott is still floating around. I know he's older than the sun but in a short season it doesn't matter much and he can help out on faceoffs, with the cycle, and 2nd PP unit.

Not much else out there and no guarantees Miller is ready or Fasth/Lindberg will be available the end of the season or they're ready to just be inserted in the lineup.

Henrik will get better, defense is getting better. Just need more reps.

I'm an Emminger fan, so keep him in the lineup.

Rangers got the Atlantic Banner last year, this year it's not as necessary. Just go into the playoffs playing their best hockey.

Staxgod90

New Season New Dream
May 31, 2011
Westchester,NY
four things:
1. Gaborik
2. Kreider is playing like poopy
3. Hank is slowly getting back to form
4. This is why we got Nash, he may not have scored but his presence was definitely felt tonight on the ice

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Even though both Richards and Stepan have put up points, it doesn't necessarily mean either of them have played well - there's much more to this game than just points. Their decision-making could be better. Richards looks sluggish and Stepan's intensity level could be higher. I'm just hoping to see some continued development from Stepan.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
If this team could win a regular face-off or score an occasional power play goal...well they'd be better.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Really don't want a guy like Newbury. We've seen he isn't an NHLer. Would definetely give JT a shot. Even if he gets 0 points, he looked defensively responsible in the WJC.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hank will be fine. So will Staalsy. We've seen them both struggle a but they're both extremely talented and elite in their field. They're way too good to suck long term.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
This guy gets the first hat of the year! I'm just assuming they're still doing something like that being that we get no post-game...

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Kreider needs to be a part of this team. He needs to reevaluate things and change it up quickly.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Even though both Richards and Stepan have put up points, it doesn't necessarily mean either of them have played well - there's much more to this game than just points. Their decision-making could be better. Richards looks sluggish and Stepan's intensity level could be higher. I'm just hoping to see some continued development from Stepan.

I disagree. I think both have made some bad plays, sure, but since both of them are so subtle at what they do well I don't think people are acknowledging they've been much better than half the board is trying to perpetuate.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

Agreed 100% and QFT. :handclap:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont see why Kreider doesnt just start on the 2nd line again. They have no option in the minors so let the kid redeem himself

Hagelin is way better on the 3rd line with Boyle and Pyatt.

I agree. Leave Kreider on the 2nd line. He did not look bad at all in the 1st. I can understand sitting him after the penalty and limiting his ice time because it was a tight game and we really needed a win, but sending him to the minors? C'mon that's just overkill.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
if kreider is sent down which im not advocating, i dont want to see newbury, much rather see someone like hrivik, miller, or kolarik. Although i think torts' go to is going to be newbury because hes played here and he hasn't seen those guys play in camp or anything.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Better game. But it was still quite unimpressive. The tone on here would be a lot different if we had lost in OT.

Aside from a great start (and man it was fantastic) they really tailed off. I'm really uncomfortable with how little it takes the Rangers to get off their game. I feel they often lose to themselves.

Bad bounces, an inability to clear the puck, missing glorious scoring opportunities and just plain stupidity plague this team. The biased (IMO) officiating didn't help tonight.

The players individually looked much better though (aside from Hank). Nash is another level of deadly. Gaborik with that poisonous touch, Richards made a ton of creative plays. I liked Stepan's game much more then usual. Hagelin easily had his best game, and Boyle was a rock in the defensive zone.

On defense I thought everyone was good individually, they just have some kinks to work out as a unit. MDZ has been a rock all season, and Staal made some great plays. Nothing needs to be said about McD and Girardi, they played their game to an extent. I barely noticed Spazzy Steve, which is a good thing, so color me impressed.

I'll take the 2 points. But something has got to give eventually.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
That was beautiful! This was a great game for Gaborik and Nash. Good stuff.

<3 Gaborik

Love seeing Blues fans here. Blues are one of my non Ranger favorites, so glad to see both teams doing well. Loved watching them put an asswhipping on Detroit. Still mad that we didn't draft Tarasenko, but glad to see him with a team that I actually like.

The Good: Nash-Richards-Gaborik, Gaborik hatty, Nash is a gamebreaker, Pyatt is a great addition, Del Zotto has been our best Dman, Staal had a good night.
The Bad: Defense and Lundqvist. Hank was decent, but I don't like that goal from Horton THAT late in the 3rd
The Redden: Flowerplay

99.9% agreed. Lundqvist has been crap. Not happy with the way he's played at all.

Can we just call them the r*** line?

Also, Pyatt is looking like the best FA signing we've made

Agreed 110%. Love the "****" line.

Del Zotto is our best defender this season IMO.

Agreed. He got tired of being overlooked and a spark was lit under his ass during the contract talks.

Thought Emminger played well too and Stralman had a pretty strong game, Torts needs to trust them some more

Real intense game though so I can see why Torts was shortening his bench

Agreed, Eminger and Stralman have been solid for us during their time here. I want to see them on a longer leash. They have and can contribute.

Still want to see these given a look. They haven't, from what I can recall.

Nash-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Gaborik
Hagelin-Boyle-Pyatt
Rupp-Halpern-Asham

Agreed, I think those lines are ideal. I love Hagelin with Boyle and Pyatt. Awesome 3rd line.

Captain Taco

Jan 9, 2012
New York
Really don't want a guy like Newbury. We've seen he isn't an NHLer. Would definetely give JT a shot. Even if he gets 0 points, he looked defensively responsible in the WJC.
With you on this. Newbury has had chances and has come up and not produced. Although I think JT needs a little more development i dont think im totally opposed to your suggestion

Captain Taco

Jan 9, 2012
New York
if kreider is sent down which im not advocating, i dont want to see newbury, much rather see someone like hrivik, miller, or kolarik. Although i think torts' go to is going to be newbury because hes played here and he hasn't seen those guys play in camp or anything.
I have a feeling Segal is going to be called up just like the beginning of the season. Which i guess i would rather over Newbury being called up

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Of course there is a lot of improvement necessary.
Game 3 was much better than the previous in terms of energy and competing.
That level of intensity does not hide the faults. They just beat a team that rolls 4 very decent lines. I'm pretty happy with that.
Perfect? No.
Better? Yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad