Post-Game Talk: Bruins @ Rangers 01/23/13 "Gabotrick Edition"

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I thought the core Rangers played very well. I would be lying if I didn't say that the shortened bench this early in the season doesn't bother me slightly.

It's too early to tell the type of benefit Asham will have on the 4th line but as of now, they really need a Tanner Glass, Gregory Campbell-type player who can PK and get 8-10 minutes a night and create some energy.

Defensively I loved the aggression they showed. That all stems from the forwards coming back hard so that the defensemen can pinch and step up. That's Rangers hockey.

Rick Nash is an animal.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Thought I read the box score wrong. I was assured by so many people that Gaborik only scores against weak teams, so I thought it was a typo... three times. :sarcasm:

Forgot to set my DVR, but caught the highlights. Did Staal and Del Zotto spend the whole game paired together? How did they look?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Thought I read the box score wrong. I was assured by so many people that Gaborik only scores against weak teams, so I thought it was a typo... three times. :sarcasm:

Forgot to set my DVR, but caught the highlights. Did Staal and Del Zotto spend the whole game paired together? How did they look?

Not sure if it was the whole game but they did play together a lot. Looked good for the most part, though Staal's slashing penalty that led to a goal was a result of Del Zotto getting burned to the outside, but to be fair, he was put in a bad situation and turning to keep up with a forward that's already flying down the wing is probably his biggest weakness. That said, Del Zotto looked better on the right side than he did last year.

He's having a good year so far...not perfect, but so far it looks like he's taking another step forward in his development

edit: I still feel like a lot of players are feeling their way out so far...guys like Hagelin especially. Pyatt has jumped in and looked good but a lot of other guys seem to be searching for a comfort level with their linemates. Disappointed they're not using Halpern more but he seems to be another guy that's needing to earn the coaches trust before he gets more icetime

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The first Gabby goal was absolutely beautiful, all the way up the ice.

It may have been one of the best Ranger skill goals of all time.

Completely agree, although there was quite a bit of luck involved as well. The Richards touch pass was just crazy, but for it to lay perfectly into that spot for Nash to grab in stride while not being in range of the D was pretty lucky, I think he'd even admit that. The Gaborik finish was also ridiculous, super difficult to be that patient and that accurate from that angle while falling away. Really impressive stuff.

That line in general was awesome, but as others have said, it has no excuse not be, and it really does make the team look very top heavy.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Not sure if it was the whole game but they did play together a lot. Looked good for the most part, though Staal's slashing penalty that led to a goal was a result of Del Zotto getting burned to the outside, but to be fair, he was put in a bad situation and turning to keep up with a forward that's already flying down the wing is probably his biggest weakness. That said, Del Zotto looked better on the right side than he did last year.

He's having a good year so far...not perfect, but so far it looks like he's taking another step forward in his development

edit: I still feel like a lot of players are feeling their way out so far...guys like Hagelin especially. Pyatt has jumped in and looked good but a lot of other guys seem to be searching for a comfort level with their linemates. Disappointed they're not using Halpern more but he seems to be another guy that's needing to earn the coaches trust before he gets more icetime

Thanks for the write up. MDZ definitely needs a defensive stalwart to cover for him (or should I say, Staal-wart? Har!) Hopefully DZ can adapt to that side and we'll have a consistent top-4.

I agree with you about players looking a bit uncomfortable, but that's too be expected with some of them. Hagelin is still only a 2nd year player, and we know plenty of those guys go through slumps. I think he'll come around though.

Faxius

Dec 28, 2006
They pair together better than Bickel/MDZ...MDZ should be on the 2nd pair not Strals...

Stralman is a RD, MDZ is a LD behind McD and Staal.
That's why MDZ is on the 3rd pair.

Edit: Voted Gabby, Nash, and Pyatt, in that order.

Vickers8

large_NYR_012313__9.jpg

Vickers8

Edit: Voted Gabby, Nash, and Pyatt, in that order.

Played on the right last night and had his best game...

Faxius

Dec 28, 2006
Played on the right last night and had his best game...

Last night he played good, I'll give you that, but when he was tried on the right side last season he had some awful games, so I get Torts hesitance to put MDZ there.

Vickers8

Most important thing 2 points, love seeing the hats on the ice for Gabby....

large_NYR_012313__8.jpg

Vickers8

Last night he played good, I'll give you that, but when he was tried on the right side last season he had some awful games, so I get Torts hesitance to put MDZ there.

I just think he pairs up better with Staal, then Bickel/Emminger

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Thanks for the write up. MDZ definitely needs a defensive stalwart to cover for him (or should I say, Staal-wart? Har!) Hopefully DZ can adapt to that side and we'll have a consistent top-4.

I don't think he necessarily needs someone to cover for him the way you'd normally expect a classic offensive defenseman to need a stay at home guy. Del Zotto doesn't rush the puck or join the play as much as some of those guys so he's not always getting caught up ice, and his defense in the defensive zone is pretty good. His weaknesses are getting beat wide with speed and making some risky passes at times.

MDZ is better than Stralman though, so it'd benefit the team to have him playing as more of a second pair defenseman. Last night I'd definitely say he was playing as the 2nd pair guy while Stralman was the 3rd pair (and that's born out by their icetime, where Del Zotto played 25 minutes and Stralman played 9...)

I don't mind a Stralman/Emminger pairing...I don't want them out against other teams top players but it's a solid pairing that can play some minutes. I'm a lot more comfortable with that than with Bickel or Gilroy in the lineup.

I think Tortorella shortened up his bench for a couple of reasons...he didn't want to start the season 0-3 and so this game had a little more importance. He wanted to get the win and get the team rolling, so he leaned on his big guns. Second, the Bruins are a very hard working, physical team, and I don't think he wanted to expose guys like Kreider, Halpern (because he's new and seems to not really fit in yet), Stralman (because he's softer in his own zone than a lot of the other D), and Emminger (playing in his first game back) to the Bruins forecheck and physical pounding

That said, he's going to have to trust that third pairing at some point.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
We did a lot of things better last night. But we still gave up 3 goals and blew two leads, including a two-goal one. I can hardly remember us giving up two goal leads last year. Still a lot of work to do.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I agree with you about players looking a bit uncomfortable, but that's too be expected with some of them. Hagelin is still only a 2nd year player, and we know plenty of those guys go through slumps. I think he'll come around though.

Hags played really well last night. He was one of the fastest players on the ice, including being faster than the fastest a d toughest Boston forwards. I wouldn't call him going into a slump just yet...

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Also,

Have a hard time pinning the blown 2-0 lead on the rangers solely... it seemed that the second the games scored the 2nd goal, the refs started calling all sorts of ridiculous penalties... stralmans slash was hardly impeding of the bruin he hit, clearly was just the end result s stock

Vickers8

Also,

Have a hard time pinning the blown 2-0 lead on the rangers solely... it seemed that the second the games scored the 2nd goal, the refs started calling all sorts of ridiculous penalties... stralmans slash was hardly impeding of the bruin he hit, clearly was just the end result s stock

Loved how NBC guys went crazy over Nash's coincidental minor, how he should have gotten the only penalty, but Kelly should be credited with text book interference on that play...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Also,

The Rangers stopped skating for the late stages of the 1st and for most of the 2nd. When you stop skating, you take penalties. I'm not trying to be overly negative here, and as I said earlier in the thread, some of my concerns are mitigated by who our opponent was. Just saying, we still have a lot to work on.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Something I've wondered about for a long time is why Staal and DZ don't play together more. It would seem like a natural fit and yet last night was the first time I remember seeing them play much time together.

The first pairing can be one of the steadiest tandems, DZ and Staal could be one of the more dynamic. Hoping to see more of that.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Mainly cuz neither of them played that well on their off side last year. Del Zotto looked better at it last night, though there are still some bugs to work out

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Completely agree, although there was quite a bit of luck involved as well. The Richards touch pass was just crazy, but for it to lay perfectly into that spot for Nash to grab in stride while not being in range of the D was pretty lucky, I think he'd even admit that. The Gaborik finish was also ridiculous, super difficult to be that patient and that accurate from that angle while falling away. Really impressive stuff.

That line in general was awesome, but as others have said, it has no excuse not be, and it really does make the team look very top heavy.

I'd worry more about that except that I think Cally, Step and Hags could be very effective as a 2nd line. Tort's will mix the hell out of it of course, but I think we will see those two combinations more.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I'd worry more about that except that I think Cally, Step and Hags could be very effective as a 2nd line. Tort's will mix the hell out of it of course, but I think we will see those two combinations more.

Those 3 forwards in general (+ Kreider if he gets things together and stays up) are major, major keys to the season. They need to supply the secondary scoring if/when the top 3 forwards are shut down.

This is irregardless of lines, Im just talking about individual production. So far, through 3 games, these guys havent been looking too good at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad