Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXI- Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
We need a 3rd RD- any chance of offering him a nhl deal for next year just to take an extended look? Is that being hasty? Is there a chance he fits better in Boston than providence?
You mean a one-way deal? It might have to come to that.

I'm with Eric in that he started off great in the AHL and then tailed off, but other places tell me we are wrong. Who am I to argue with them?

He had two strong seasons in the DEL and helped win back-to-back championships. But the DEL is not the AHL, let alone the NHL. He's also had two terrific World Championships now. I think the team knows they lack defensive prospects at this point. But I have no clue on whether they'll even try to sign him.

Reactions: dangermike

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
“He plays second-line in Liiga, gets plenty of opportunity. I don’t know if we’ll be able to provide him much more than that at Providence right now, so,” Langenbrunner said of Mantykivi. “It’s a hard league to play in, it’s a grinding league, and he’s a good player in that league. We’ll monitor him well this year.

“We’ll make a decision on him at some point this year on if he’s someone we sign or not.”

I went back in my time machine to last offseason.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Interesting he hasn't played much, and then gets his chance against one of the best teams in the tourney and contributes
He is too young to even be in that tournament. It’s nice to see him make the roster to begin with. He has to be one of the more exciting prospects this team has. I wonder if he will see the ice in the championship game.

LKI

May 15, 2016
Jūrmala
He is too young to even be in that tournament. It’s nice to see him make the roster to begin with. He has to be one of the more exciting prospects this team has. I wonder if he will see the ice in the championship game.
He will definitely will see some ice time.
Latvia is lacking WC level centers... Girgensons(Sabres) decided to skip the tournament, Blueger playing for Vegas and our veteran Dzerins got injured.
Locmelis competing with 24y.o Smirnovs(Playing in Swiss NL) and so far looks better than him.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
He will definitely will see some ice time.
Latvia is lacking WC level centers... Girgensons(Sabres) decided to skip the tournament, Blueger playing for Vegas and our veteran Dzerins got injured.
Locmelis competing with 24y.o Smirnovs(Playing in Swiss NL) and so far looks better than him.
Thanks for chiming in. Exciting prospect. Playing with grown men. Very impressive I hope he keeps progressing at this rate.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
“He plays second-line in Liiga, gets plenty of opportunity. I don’t know if we’ll be able to provide him much more than that at Providence right now, so,” Langenbrunner said of Mantykivi. “It’s a hard league to play in, it’s a grinding league, and he’s a good player in that league. We’ll monitor him well this year.

“We’ll make a decision on him at some point this year on if he’s someone we sign or not.”

I went back in my time machine to last offseason.
22 open roster spots before they hit 50
Only 8 picks in the next 2 drafts
5 days to sign him

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
What a player. Has no trouble getting into the dirty areas it seems. It’s great to see him push his way onto the roster.
What is impressive with him even in the J20 is the subtle little 12-18 inch moves he makes to elude the defence and the puck always seems to end up on his stick. Smart player. But I wondered though, yeah you can do it against other junior players but what about the big boys? In both cases at the Worlds, he did it against men.

It's not the only way he can score. But it's good to have in his arsenal.

aguineapig

What is impressive with him even in the J20 is the subtle little 12-18 inch moves he makes to elude the defence and the puck always seems to end up on his stick. Smart player. But I wondered though, yeah you can do it against other junior players but what about the big boys? In both cases at the Worlds, he did it against men.

It's not the only way he can score. But it's good to have in his arsenal.
He plays like a little Aho (Carolina kind).

Reactions: Kegs

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
This is a great take. I didn't watch any of the games so I can't really comment, but it is really strange for a player of his pedigree to go 0-0-0 in seven games against players that are entirely his age or younger. His playoffs last year in the WHL and his start to his first pro year in the AHL are much more important to me though. Jake Debrusk never even made a WJC team, so there is definitely a path to players that do not flourish there.
I could come up with a dozen young players who not only weren’t stars within a couple of years from drafted but got into mid 20’s

Five of the best players left were waived or traded for shit - Stephenson Monteur Forsling Bennett Verhague

I never saw this coming and clearly No did the teams that had them

Lysell I’ll wait on

I didn’t see him after new year - but I saw him a handful of times with Eric early

He’s small - almost like a boy but he was very good albeit not exactly 200 feet

This year will be interesting

Reactions: Kegs and Saxon Eric

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
By the way folks

His usage was an issue

34 points in 36 games playing 15 minutes or more as teen in AHL up there with some of top prospects

Shouldn’t have gone to WJ20 in hindsight

Reactions: Saxon Eric

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Congrats to Latvia and Locmelis for winning the Bronze medal with are old pal Daugavins as the captain. Locmelis was on the ice for the 3 on 3 winner in OT and set up the tying goal to put it into OT. Playing in front of the loud home crowd with the Latvia Mens team will pay off for the Bruins. The Latvian Coach even trusted him to play him in OT, the kid has a bright future ahead of him.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Sunday was medal day beginning with the bronze medal game. The US and Latvia were tied 2-2 entering the third period. Locmelis lost a faceoff (and his man) in his own zone and it led to a goal to put the Americans up 3-2. With a nation watching in disappointment, there is no way the youngster could redeem himself is there? One could not imagine the pressure he must have felt at that moment.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
Congrats to Latvia and Locmelis for winning the Bronze medal with are old pal Daugavins as the captain. Locmelis was on the ice for the 3 on 3 winner in OT and set up the tying goal to put it into OT. Playing in front of the loud home crowd with the Latvia Mens team will pay off for the Bruins. The Latvian Coach even trusted him to play him in OT, the kid has a bright future ahead of him.

I'm a USAH guy going back to the AHAUS days but how could anyone not be thrilled for Latvia? A national holiday was declared to celebrate their medal. Just fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad