Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXI- Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
Even if they thought he was a meh prospect and had confidence in their prospect pool, why not just sign him in hopes that he can maybe become an nhler some day? Player development is a strange thing, and I’m sure there is still a chance (albeit small) of Mantykivi becoming an nhler.

Reactions: BronxBruin

Rompane

Jan 16, 2021
He was a 0.5 ppg player in Finland. Probably KHL bound.
He had weak start of the season but was very strong in playoffs. Actually i think he led in scoring at some point. Mantykivi definetly has skill but he has been inconsistent.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
What has this kid ever done in the Liga to warrant a roster spot? His one year goal high is 12 (twice)? Does he have any other skills? Given his size I doubt it.

Rompane

Jan 16, 2021
What has this kid ever done in the Liga to warrant a roster spot? His one year goal high is 12 (twice)? Does he have any other skills? Given his size I doubt it.
He plays in our local team. Skillfull guy who likes to have puck in his stick. I dont know if he has enought talent to play in NHL though. Although i thought same about Maccelli (also from our team) and he made impact in Arizona almost immediately. Similar playstyle also.

I think making contract to Mantykivi would have been worth the shot but im not sure about roster spots and stuff like that.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
short shift pod put it pretty perfectly (gross alliteration) - if you dont know all that much about a prospect, and most of us dont know all that much about mantykivi other than box scores and 10 second highlights from dom, you shouldnt get too mad about not signing him. he was a 6th round pick.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
They clearly have a plan for the roster next year in providence and it doesn't involve rotating in and out 900 different players -

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
short shift pod put it pretty perfectly (gross alliteration) - if you dont know all that much about a prospect, and most of us dont know all that much about mantykivi other than box scores and 10 second highlights from dom, you shouldnt get too mad about not signing him. he was a 6th round pick.

I look at it from the business side of things. But I do believe he earned a chance. I've said a hundred times, that doesn't mean he would make it. He did everything they asked of him, including showing up at development camp when they asked him to (except the covid years) and paid his own expenses to do so. He became the best defensive forward in Liiga and put up half a point per game in doing so and then doubled that in the playoffs.

They had two options when/if signing him:

A) it would have been a two-year ELC with about $80,000 in salary in the AHL. Last I checked, they still have to ice a team in Providence. That's less money than what they signed Owen Pederson for who might just be nothing more than a Justin Brazeau replacement. So, all it would have cost them is a contract spot and some pennies. They paid Mitchell Miller $177,500 to sit at home.

B) Sign him to his ELC and loan him back to Ilves where, get this, he already has a contract. They'd be on the hook for exactly zero dollars and only count as a contract spot. They have 28 open contract spots for next season and I doubt they get passed 44 when the offseason is done.

At least your protecting the asset - that is getting paper thin - and hope that he either pans out OR builds enough interest that they could recoup something in a trade.

If at the end of his ELC he doesn't pan out, you don't bring him back.

I really don't think this was a Lars Volden or Cedric Pare or Daniel Bukac situation.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
I look at it from the business side of things. But I do believe he earned a chance. I've said a hundred times, that doesn't mean he would make it. He did everything they asked of him, including showing up at development camp when they asked him to (except the covid years) and paid his own expenses to do so. He became the best defensive forward in Liiga and put up half a point per game in doing so and then doubled that in the playoffs.

They had two options when/if signing him:

A) it would have been a two-year ELC with about $80,000 in salary in the AHL. Last I checked, they still have to ice a team in Providence. That's less money than what they signed Owen Pederson for who might just be nothing more than a Justin Brazeau replacement. So, all it would have cost them is a contract spot and some pennies. They paid Mitchell Miller $177,500 to sit at home.

B) Sign him to his ELC and loan him back to Ilves where, get this, he already has a contract. They'd be on the hook for exactly zero dollars and only count as a contract spot. They have 28 open contract spots for next season and I doubt they get passed 44 when the offseason is done.

At least your protecting the asset - that is getting paper thin - and hope that he either pans out OR builds enough interest that they could recoup something in a trade.

If at the end of his ELC he doesn't pan out, you don't bring him back.

I really don't think this was a Lars Volden or Cedric Pare or Daniel Bukac situation.
oh for sure - you're obviously more well informed than most of us, myself included.

and what you mapped out above was my mindset as well, why not take a chance

i was merely commenting on the more effusive reactions over a 6th round pick who most of us havent seen play a full game (dom obv not included since lucky for us dude watches more hockey than god)

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I could come up with a dozen young players who not only weren’t stars within a couple of years from drafted but got into mid 20’s

Five of the best players left were waived or traded for shit - Stephenson Monteur Forsling Bennett Verhague

I never saw this coming and clearly No did the teams that had them

Lysell I’ll wait on

I didn’t see him after new year - but I saw him a handful of times with Eric early

He’s small - almost like a boy but he was very good albeit not exactly 200 feet

This year will be interesting
Lysell is a late bloomer (body wise) it seems. He does still look like a kid to me. I think he has a lot of growing up do. I think he will be a very good nhl player one day. But we will see.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Lysell is a late bloomer (body wise) it seems. He does still look like a kid to me. I think he has a lot of growing up do. I think he will be a very good nhl player one day. But we will see.
I hope you are right

He is accountable as he ripped himself dropping F bomb on TSN after WJC saying he let team down and I F****** sucked

He’s a good kid based on Providence staff I know well - he’s young and he’s smallish and not big boned

This will be an interesting year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad