Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects XXI- Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Why are so many people totally discounting Lysell due to his WJC performance, while completely ignoring his performance in the AHL so far? So going by these standards, Locmelis is our top prospect........

Reactions: Pierre Larouche

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Hello learned friends. I'm not able to watch Providence games and I have a question - how are McLaughlin, Lauko and Beecher looking? I ask because for various reasons they're all players with aspirations of playing in Boston, sooner or in Beecher's case probably a bit later, but their points production so far this season is fairly modest. Are they playing well and it's simply not showing up much on the score sheet (I note the latter two have healthy +/- numbers) or are they struggling a bit?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Regardless of that, a prospect should put forth their best effort. They are representing their respective country and the team that drafted them. It is the mature, professional and respectful thing to do.
There are many factors....
Coaching usage.....injury.....who knows
Maybe it's the talent surrounding him.....would Pasta be tearing it up if he had Nosek as his center?

Many possible factors, and a 20 year old having a few bad weeks isn't that unusual

Reactions: duffy

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Regardless of that, a prospect should put forth their best effort. They are representing their respective country and the team that drafted them. It is the mature, professional and respectful thing to do.
You’re insinuating that he dogged it. Did you watch the tournament? He played well early. Had a rough ending. He did not dog it.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why are so many people totally discounting Lysell due to his WJC performance, while completely ignoring his performance in the AHL so far? So going by these standards, Locmelis is our top prospect........

Well you do like to see player step up when playing against their peers. And if anyone is using that performance to drop him down the prospect or say he will never be a good NHL player.

That said he is still a work in progress, and his points in Providence are exciting, and I have no doubt he will be at least a 20-20 guy in the NHL, and maybe a 25-35 guy. (and he may been to be a 25-35 guy to have a long career)

From everything I have heard, he is not NHL ready, and saying that is not putting him down. He make spectacular plays in the offensive and but also still too many Spectacularly wtf plays

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Oh maybe we should start an etiquette tournament

You and nobody else can assume he didn't, or if somethings was bugging him or the players around him sucked as well.

I actually loved his hit to get thrown out, he must have learned that in the AHL

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Well you do like to see player step up when playing against their peers. And if anyone is using that performance to drop him down the prospect or say he will never be a good NHL player.

That said he is still a work in progress, and his points in Providence are exciting, and I have no doubt he will be at least a 20-20 guy in the NHL, and maybe a 25-35 guy. (and he may been to be a 25-35 guy to have a long career)

From everything I have heard, he is not NHL ready, and saying that is not putting him down. He make spectacular plays in the offensive and but also still too many Spectacularly wtf plays
That bottom sentence sounds like Pasta's critics in the early stages after he was drafted

Reactions: Kegs

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

He’s also 19

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Hello learned friends. I'm not able to watch Providence games and I have a question - how are McLaughlin, Lauko and Beecher looking? I ask because for various reasons they're all players with aspirations of playing in Boston, sooner or in Beecher's case probably a bit later, but their points production so far this season is fairly modest. Are they playing well and it's simply not showing up much on the score sheet (I note the latter two have healthy +/- numbers) or are they struggling a bit?
McLaughlin has been very disappointing for me. After his NHL stint and preseason, I expected him to be one of Prov's best players but that has not been the case. He's been pretty invisible most nights that I've watched.
Lauko has been good overall. I still wish he would bury more of his chances (which he does a good job creating) but I think he deserves to be on the 4th line in Boston over Greer and Smith.
I wrote a long-winded post on Beecher a few weeks ago but, in sum, he's been fine. He deserves more ice time than he's been getting (though he did get promoted the last few games) as he tends to make good plays all over the ice. Only problem is the offensive production hasn't been there. He's still a rookie and I think he's on the right track to become a decent bottom six NHLer.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
McLaughlin has been very disappointing for me. After his NHL stint and preseason, I expected him to be one of Prov's best players but that has not been the case. He's been pretty invisible most nights that I've watched.
Lauko has been good overall. I still wish he would bury more of his chances (which he does a good job creating) but I think he deserves to be on the 4th line in Boston over Greer and Smith.
I wrote a long-winded post on Beecher a few weeks ago but, in sum, he's been fine. He deserves more ice time than he's been getting (though he did get promoted the last few games) as he tends to make good plays all over the ice. Only problem is the offensive production hasn't been there. He's still a rookie and I think he's on the right track to become a decent bottom six NHLer.

Great info, thanks!

McLaughlin strikes me as one of those guys who tends to elevate his game more against top-quality opposition. Which is useful, but you still have to earn your opportunity in the major league, and it seems like he's not doing that at present. Hopefully that changes, as he's definitely got some talent.

Good to hear re Lauko. I'd have no issue seeing him again in Boston. He's got wheels and the Big B's really could use some more speed.

And what you've said tallies with my understanding about Beecher - he's a good solid player but he just doesn't have the offensive chops to be a top 6 forward in the NHL. A reliable bottom 6 contributor is a completely fine return for a late 1st round pick though. We've seen Frederic go down that path and make an increasingly good fist of it, hopefully Beecher can do something similar.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Poitras with 3 more assists tonight in a 6-3 Guelph win, he's an assist machine.
I was at that game. He is driving that team right now. I've said all season goaltending is a problem for Guelph. They acquired Patrick Leaver and bang. I'd hate to be facing that team right now.

Got home and watched Frederic Brunet. Guy was an animal with a goal and 3 assists. Never made a bad decision with the puck and he knows exactly where to put it. He should make some serious noise on a strong team in Victoriaville.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
There are many factors....
Coaching usage.....injury.....who knows
Maybe it's the talent surrounding him.....would Pasta be tearing it up if he had Nosek as his center?

Many possible factors, and a 20 year old having a few bad weeks isn't that unusual
He was used on the top 2 lines and on the 1st team PP for most of the tournament, until he was eventually demoted. At times he played with Isak Rosen, who had a great tournament and was a top 15 pick. Most of the time he was with Ohgren and Ostlund, 2 other 1st rd picks. Now that line didn't click (although the other 2 guys were better than Lysell), but on the pp he played with top talent on the time, including Leo Carlsson.

It wasn't usage.
It wasn't linemates.

Injury? He did get hurt early on and that certainly may have affected him. And, as you'd agree, 30 games against men in the AHL is a better indicator than 5 games in a tournament against his peers. But had he had 8 goals and dominated, I'd doubt people would be saying "Eh, it's a meaningless tournament. A few hot weeks by a guy who isn't going to be a good NHLer isn't that unusual."

There's no reason to excuse him for his relatively poor play. He showed speed. He showed a shot. At times he engaged defensively. He was very good at zone entries.

But he played far too much one-on-one hockey. His zone entries were often speeding up the right side, getting the zone and then not bothering to look for his teammates or cut inside and instead was over and over again easily rubbed out against the boards. It very well could be that whatever little injury he got in the warm-up game made him shy to take the puck to the scoring areas. Hopefully he's healed and will continue to do well in the AHL.

The 2023 WJC don't really have any bearing on his ultimate NHL success, but I do think they indicate that he's really not ready for the NHL this year or for NHL playoff hockey at this point. Let him continue in Providence, and maybe gain a few pounds and some strength in the offseason.

The truth is it means "something". Just not everything or even a lot.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Friday Night Wrap

Langenbrunner beats McFaul 4-1
Mason 1 shot
Dustyn 1 shot

Svedebäck 28 saves and a 8-3 win
Duran still out but close to returning

Schmaltz 1 shot -1 9 for 18 faceoffs 4-0 loss

Spicer 1 shot 3 for 8 faceoffs 3-2 loss
Olson -1

Lorhei 1 assist 2 shots +1 7-2 win

DiPietro 22 saves 3-2 win

Dyck the backup 6-3 loss

Brunet 1 goal 3 assists 3 shots +4 1st 🌟

Mast 1 goal 1 shot 5-3 loss

Poitras 3 assists 4 shots 6-3 win over Mr Excitement
Edward 1 assist

Myrenberg 2 shots 3-0 win

Locmelis 2 goals 2 assists +2

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
He was used on the top 2 lines and on the 1st team PP for most of the tournament, until he was eventually demoted. At times he played with Isak Rosen, who had a great tournament and was a top 15 pick. Most of the time he was with Ohgren and Ostlund, 2 other 1st rd picks. Now that line didn't click (although the other 2 guys were better than Lysell), but on the pp he played with top talent on the time, including Leo Carlsson.

It wasn't usage.
It wasn't linemates.

Injury? He did get hurt early on and that certainly may have affected him. And, as you'd agree, 30 games against men in the AHL is a better indicator than 5 games in a tournament against his peers. But had he had 8 goals and dominated, I'd doubt people would be saying "Eh, it's a meaningless tournament. A few hot weeks by a guy who isn't going to be a good NHLer isn't that unusual."

There's no reason to excuse him for his relatively poor play. He showed speed. He showed a shot. At times he engaged defensively. He was very good at zone entries.

But he played far too much one-on-one hockey. His zone entries were often speeding up the right side, getting the zone and then not bothering to look for his teammates or cut inside and instead was over and over again easily rubbed out against the boards. It very well could be that whatever little injury he got in the warm-up game made him shy to take the puck to the scoring areas. Hopefully he's healed and will continue to do well in the AHL.

The 2023 WJC don't really have any bearing on his ultimate NHL success, but I do think they indicate that he's really not ready for the NHL this year or for NHL playoff hockey at this point. Let him continue in Providence, and maybe gain a few pounds and some strength in the offseason.

That's been the knock on him too much 1 on 1

He's a kid....he will figure it out

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

It wasn't usage.
It wasn't linemates.

This is a great take. I didn't watch any of the games so I can't really comment, but it is really strange for a player of his pedigree to go 0-0-0 in seven games against players that are entirely his age or younger. His playoffs last year in the WHL and his start to his first pro year in the AHL are much more important to me though. Jake Debrusk never even made a WJC team, so there is definitely a path to players that do not flourish there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad