Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects X - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’ve never ever heard of a school not releasing a player. NHL teams sometimes do not release their players when they are with the big club and Arizona even somewhat controversially elected not to release Christian Fischer a few years back when he was in the AHL.
surprised the Devils didn`t release Hughes, guess they want to continually expose him to losing?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Hot scoop!

I think it's logical and the reason they didn't sign him to an ELC has only to do with the nuances of the CBA.

First and foremost, Zech wanted out of Ferris State. Signing him to an ELC would have cost the Bruins a contract spot. On an ELC it's an automatic two-way deal so Zech would be earning the same amount on an ELC as he is on an AHL deal. Bruins got what they wanted and Zech got what he wanted.

Waiver eligibility doesn't come into affect here. Had he signed an ELC last year, he would have become waiver eligible after 5 seasons. If he signs after next season, he's waiver eligible after 3 seasons. S0 the time frame is the same, however the games played drops from 160 to 80.

It also keeps a defenceman away from Seattle in the expansion draft that they can plug into the AHL.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think it's logical and the reason they didn't sign him to an ELC has only to do with the nuances of the CBA.

First and foremost, Zech wanted out of Ferris State. Signing him to an ELC would have cost the Bruins a contract spot. On an ELC it's an automatic two-way deal so Zech would be earning the same amount on an ELC as he is on an AHL deal. Bruins got what they wanted and Zech got what he wanted.

Waiver eligibility doesn't come into affect here. Had he signed an ELC last year, he would have become waiver eligible after 5 seasons. If he signs after next season, he's waiver eligible after 3 seasons. S0 the time frame is the same, however the games played drops from 160 to 80.

It also keeps a defenceman away from Seattle in the expansion draft that they can plug into the AHL.

I'm not knowledgeable about the ins and outs of AHL-only deals, but I assume that any NHL team could sign him to an NHL deal, so is there a concern about that? Why would he wait until after next year to sign if someone was willing to sign him now?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I'm not knowledgeable about the ins and outs of AHL-only deals, but I assume that any NHL team could sign him to an NHL deal, so is there a concern about that? Why would he wait until after next year to sign if someone was willing to sign him now?

Yes any team could sign him. But maybe loyalty comes into play. The Bruins signed him when no one else would. And if he did sign somewhere else, he's not going to be in the NHL next season so it's not like he would earn any more money.

The only difference is he "might" get a $92,500 signing bonus a year early, but it would be a 3 year ELC. If he waited the year, he could still get his $92,500 signing bonus and it would be a two year deal. RFA status would be the same, but the latter brings him to salary arbitration a year earlier - basically, he's betting on himself.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Doe the AHL club have to release him from his deal should an NHL team offer something, or is an automatic release from contract if he agrees?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Doe the AHL club have to release him from his deal should an NHL team offer something, or is an automatic release from contract if he agrees?

I'm not going to pretend I know his contract details, because I don't. But those types of deals usually come with an "out clause" should he get an offer from an NHL team.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm not going to pretend I know his contract details, because I don't. But those types of deals usually come with an "out clause" should he get an offer from an NHL team.

Thanks- I thought maybe there was something overarching that might be in place, but clearly it is a contract by contract thing. Here's to Cooper sticking around!

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I don't believe that is a Standard part of the AHL contract. You do hear about agreements like this when they are dealing with veteran players.

My understanding is that an AHL contract is a valid contract and the only way it can be broken is if Both sides agree to invalidate it.

The anatomy of an AHL contract

The one thing in this case is I believe at the end of the contract he is just an unrestricted FA and the Bruins have no rights to him. This doesn't mean the Bruins can't sign him, it just means if looks and sees the numbers and decides he wants a different org, he'd be free to go

BruinsNetwork

I think Frederic switching to the wing might be best for him and the team— he’s looked there and he’s feeling good there too.

His offense and creativity is reminding me more of what I’ve seen from in with WIS since being switched to the wing. His role with less responsibility allows him to take physical liberties he hasn’t taken before...especially along the boards.

Seems like a lot of people have been down on him this year, but I wouldn’t give up on him. 6’3” 215lbs players who can skate, fight, hit and score don’t come around very often. He’s playing some good hockey right now, even if he is a bit unhinged at times.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think Frederic switching to the wing might be best for him and the team— he’s looked there and he’s feeling good there too.

His offense and creativity is reminding me more of what I’ve seen from in with WIS since being switched to the wing. His role with less responsibility allows him to take physical liberties he hasn’t taken before...especially along the boards.

Seems like a lot of people have been down on him this year, but I wouldn’t give up on him. 6’3” 215lbs players who can skate, fight, hit and score don’t come around very often. He’s playing some good hockey right now, even if he is a bit unhinged at times.

But can he skate? Can he score?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Can Lindholm, sorry don't see what Par brings that Freddy couldn't. 1 f***ing goal in 20 games and a woopdie-f***ing-doo +2 . At least Freddy can fight , which is more than we can say for anyone else on this team. I've had all I can take of P.L. and seeing the way other teams are taking liberties on our offensive stars , it's time for some accounting. It's all well and good during the season but this turn the other cheek shit doesn't work in the PO's. Time to serve notice. The time is now.

Reactions: Top Shelf Wrister

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't believe that is a Standard part of the AHL contract. You do hear about agreements like this when they are dealing with veteran players.

My understanding is that an AHL contract is a valid contract and the only way it can be broken is if Both sides agree to invalidate it.

The anatomy of an AHL contract

The one thing in this case is I believe at the end of the contract he is just an unrestricted FA and the Bruins have no rights to him. This doesn't mean the Bruins can't sign him, it just means if looks and sees the numbers and decides he wants a different org, he'd be free to go

Like I said, I don't pretend to know his contract details.

No, it's not a standard in contracts, they have to be negotiated individually. I'm not sure what we call "veterans", but there are plenty of examples last year of under-24 players opting out of their AHL deals to go play in Europe because they were not getting NHL offers. So, Is it wrong to assume these things are negotiated into contracts in some cases?

And you're correct, both sides have to terminate the contract. Even a contract that has an out clause has to be terminated, first by the player and then the team with the league.

Again, you are correct. If the Bruins choose not to sign him, he would become a free agent at the end of his contract. That's a given with NHL and AHL contracts the Bruins choose not to extend.

I just think it's foolish for an agent to find a home for a player leaving school after just one year because he wants to turn pro and not negotiate for him any opportunities that might prevent him from achieving his goal - getting an NHL contract. But I say again, I don't know if it is in fact the case.

As for the article you linked to, it doesn't dispute what I said. Even if it did, I wouldn't put any credence into an article that can't get facts straight (as is the case with that article) facts that can be found with a simple Google search. Makes me wonder what kind of research they did.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Can Lindholm, sorry don't see what Par brings that Freddy couldn't. 1 ****ing goal in 20 games and a woopdie-****ing-doo +2 . At least Freddy can fight , which is more than we can say for anyone else on this team. I've had all I can take of P.L. and seeing the way other teams are taking liberties on our offensive stars , it's time for some accounting. It's all well and good during the season but this turn the other cheek **** doesn't work in the PO's. Time to serve notice. The time is now.
Lindholm is very good at killing penalties, and with Bergy out Lindholm will likely dress every game. Once a Bergy gets back I would think Lindholm would be the likely scratch.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Skating at times can be sloppy and looks lazy motion wise but unlike when he was a center he doesn't seem to be chasing the play as much,the switch to wing simplified things for him.
As far as scoring, he's ice cold right now,no denying that but in the past he's shown the ability to contribute ,I think going forward 8-12 goals a year is realistic ,his wrist shot is class but.. he seems more interested hunting down the opponent than shooting recently.
I have concerns with his cross ice passing, while his small area touch passing is good his longer distance ones are below AHL level,he's consistently inconsistent in that area.
He's very hard to play against, his hockey IQ is good,he always protects his teammates, also crosses the line from time to time which in some cases Ive liked, in others not so much,
I project him to be a 4th line NHL LW that can play Center to start,can he development more once up? We'll see...
He's a poor mans Mathew Tkachuk

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Skating at times can be sloppy and looks lazy motion wise but unlike when he was a center he doesn't seem to be chasing the play as much,the switch to wing simplified things for him.
As far as scoring, he's ice cold right now,no denying that but in the past he's shown the ability to contribute ,I think going forward 8-12 goals a year is realistic ,his wrist shot is class but.. he seems more interested hunting down the opponent than shooting recently.
I have concerns with his cross ice passing, while his small area touch passing is good his longer distance ones are below AHL level,he's consistently inconsistent in that area.
He's very hard to play against, his hockey IQ is good,he always protects his teammates, also crosses the line from time to time which in some cases Ive liked, in others not so much,
I project him to be a 4th line NHL LW that can play Center to start,can he development more once up? We'll see...

I know his TOI has been limited in the NHL, but where is this attitude and such when he's up? I've liked his game in Providence this year, despite the lack of scoring. I don't go to every game, but the ones I've been to, he's had at least 2-3 shifts during the games where he's been unstoppable due to puck control and being difficult to play against. He's great down low.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

BruinsNetwork

Like I said, I don't pretend to know his contract details.

No, it's not a standard in contracts, they have to be negotiated individually. I'm not sure what we call "veterans", but there are plenty of examples last year of under-24 players opting out of their AHL deals to go play in Europe because they were not getting NHL offers. So, Is it wrong to assume these things are negotiated into contracts in some cases?

And you're correct, both sides have to terminate the contract. Even a contract that has an out clause has to be terminated, first by the player and then the team with the league.

Again, you are correct. If the Bruins choose not to sign him, he would become a free agent at the end of his contract. That's a given with NHL and AHL contracts the Bruins choose not to extend.

I just think it's foolish for an agent to find a home for a player leaving school after just one year because he wants to turn pro and not negotiate for him any opportunities that might prevent him from achieving his goal - getting an NHL contract. But I say again, I don't know if it is in fact the case.

As for the article you linked to, it doesn't dispute what I said. Even if it did, I wouldn't put any credence into an article that can't get facts straight (as is the case with that article) facts that can be found with a simple Google search. Makes me wonder what kind of research they did.

To reinforce what Dom is speculating, let me say that Zech had plenty of options but chose Providence and Boston. That comes from Zech himself as I talked to him about it. His agent had a list and Zech loved the idea of being the the northeast, surrounded by oceans and lakes and ponds— he loves fishing.

I wouldn’t worry about another team signing Zech when his deal expires, because Zech already turned other teams down.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Let's hope he turns into something more- that isn't too hot for a first rounder. There is still plenty of time of course, and there is no point in engaging in the the great HFBruins tradition of re-litigating a draft, but I was really optimistic that he was better than a Sean Kuraly/Chris Wagner type out of round 1.

Reactions: Estlin

BruinsNetwork

Let's hope he turns into something more- that isn't too hot for a first rounder. There is still plenty of time of course, and there is no point in engaging in the the great HFBruins tradition of re-litigating a draft, but I was really optimistic that he was better than a Sean Kuraly/Chris Wagner type out of round 1.

He has more talent than those two, IMO, but him and Kuraly’s rookie year in Providence are as close as can be in terms of production.

Frederic is in the middle of the Arctic tundra right now, but I don’t think it’s due to a lack of effort or skill. I think he’s having bad luck and things will level out for him soon. Aside from a few guys in Providence, you can make the same argument for a bunch.

I think Frederic’s floor is a commanding fourth-line player, but I think his ceiling and potential is the middle-six or second-line. Contrary to what his doubters have said, based off an inappropriate comment by Gretzky, he’s got real talent.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He has more talent than those two, IMO, but him and Kuraly’s rookie year in Providence are as close as can be in terms of production.

Frederic is in the middle of the Arctic tundra right now, but I don’t think it’s due to a lack of effort or skill. I think he’s having bad luck and things will level out for him soon. Aside from a few guys in Providence, you can make the same argument for a bunch.

I think Frederic’s floor is a commanding fourth-line player, but I think his ceiling and potential is the middle-six or second-line. Contrary to what his doubters have said, based off an inappropriate comment by Gretzky, he’s got real talent.

Thank you for the optimistic take here :). I am not really down on him at all as I don't watch the PBruins at all (would love to have the time . . .) just feeling like a 4th line player is great if he was taken in 3rd or 4th rounds, but a first rounder you ideally want a bit better than that. I liked the jam and hustle he showed in his callups (about all he showed to be honest :laugh:) and hope he's got a top 6 or at least top 9 future.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Watching Frederic play center (Boston not in Providence) reminds me a lot of Backes playing center in his time in Boston. I think the Backes comparison is spot on in that regard. As a center, it seems that he likes to play zone in the offensive zone which is okay if the center can read the play and react quickly, but with Frederic's lack of speed, I don't think he will be as effective there long-term.

Poor mans Matthew Tkachuk isn't that bad. I will take Frederic being close to a prime Lucic.

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
Watching Frederic play center (Boston not in Providence) reminds me a lot of Backes playing center in his time in Boston. I think the Backes comparison is spot on in that regard. As a center, it seems that he likes to play zone in the offensive zone which is okay if the center can read the play and react quickly, but with Frederic's lack of speed, I don't think he will be as effective there.

Poor mans Matthew Tkachuk isn't that bad. I will take Frederic being close to a prime Lucic.
Prime Lucic? Wow, that's optimistic! Lucic in his prime was a top-30 winger in the league.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Prime Lucic? Wow, that's optimistic! Lucic in his prime was a top-30 winger in the league.
Not exactly prime Lucic, but if Frederic can play the way he does and can score 40pts, in my opinion that is best-case scenario.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not exactly prime Lucic, but if Frederic can play the way he does and can score 40pts, in my opinion that is best-case scenario.

My (probably unrealistic) dream is that he could be 3rd wheel on a Pasta line providing net front, some protection, and some passing skills for Pasta and a skilled center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad