Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects X - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Andersson today vs Friday was night and day. He was jumping up in the play, had a few nice smart pinches and he played with a little nasty. I think this kid is a keeper. Great game today, wildcats won 9-0
1 assist and 2 SOG.

Do you have Axel TOI?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I liked Beecher as a draft pick but said that night I would have preferred Kaliyev. Kaliyev is tearing it up right now. 8 goals and 7 assists in 8 games headed into today and he added 4 more points today.

Reactions: Lo97

BruinsNetwork

I liked Beecher as a draft pick but said that night I would have preferred Kaliyev. Kaliyev is tearing it up right now. 8 goals and 7 assists in 8 games headed into today and he added 4 more points today.

Great talent, just think the Bruins want another Coyle-type player who can use his size, speed and physicality to take over a game when he isn’t just scoring. Love Kaliyev, but he’s also a third-year player in the OHL right now, though. I’m sure he’ll pot 60-goals this year nonetheless. Kings got a steal at 33 OA.

Reactions: JOKER 192

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Great talent, just think the Bruins want another Coyle-type player who can use his size, speed and physicality to take over a game when he isn’t just scoring. Love Kaliyev, but he’s also a third-year player in the OHL right now, though. I’m sure he’ll pot 60-goals this year nonetheless. Kings got a steal at 33 OA.

weren’t there also concerns about his work ethic and attitude? I honestly don’t know, I seem to remember hearing that. If there was, then he doesn’t seem to fit in with the style of players they are trying to draft and develop. Like it or not they seem to value hard working, responsible players. Just my two cents...

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
wasn't it more or less the same logic that led them to draft Frederic when Debrincat was available?

At some point don't they have enough two way players & need to draft some kids who actually stand out offensively in junior? I hate that they are so risk-averse when it comes to drafting kids who score tons of goals.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
weren’t there also concerns about his work ethic and attitude? I honestly don’t know, I seem to remember hearing that. If there was, then he doesn’t seem to fit in with the style of players they are trying to draft and develop. Like it or not they seem to value hard working, responsible players. Just my two cents...
There's a reason he dropped, LA would've never pick Kaliyev
Where he was projected... no one did.
See... Angelo Esposito.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
wasn't it more or less the same logic that led them to draft Frederic when Debrincat was available?

At some point don't they have enough two way players & need to draft some kids who actually stand out offensively in junior? I hate that they are so risk-averse when it comes to drafting kids who score tons of goals.

That was a big miss by Boston. 2016 was a relatively weak draft. McAvoy had already been selected, so why not take a chance on Debrincat with the second first-round pick? Frederic would surely have still been available when Boston chose in the second round. Had the Bruins done that, then the teams' hole at #2 RW would have been filled.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Agreed.
They can draft more offensive players without taking bigger risks. Obviously Senyshyn was a love pick, going for projection alone without analyzing the present. If they did someone should be fired.
Leaving a top end prospect being handled the way he was, was a disservice to the player and the organization that draft him.
Bruins had 3 top 15 picks in 2015, 2 in OHL and 1 in WHL.
How hard it is to make sure they're properly trained?.

Reactions: Lo97

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

which is understandable they want another coyle guy, I like Beecher a lot. I believe he will have a solid NHL career and don’t mind the pick, but I felt like it was a more safer pick, Beecher the higher floor but Kaliyev the higher upside.

really looking forward to the future of studnicka, coyle and Beecher down the middle. Not sure what becomes of frederic now though... trade bait at the deadline to get a 2nd line RW?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

one of the people i talked to before the draft met kaliyev and just mentioned that
he's a bit of an odd character. i could see his interviews maybe not going so well -
not due to being a bad guy, he just comes off as awkward.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
one of the people i talked to before the draft met kaliyev and just mentioned that
he's a bit of an odd character. i could see his interviews maybe not going so well -
not due to being a bad guy, he just comes off as awkward.

Sometimes I wonder if teams (not just Boston) put too much stock in these interviews with 17-18 year old kids. Just because a kid comes across like the Class Valedictorian doesn't mean it's going to translate into success in the NHL and vice versa.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Sometimes I wonder if teams (not just Boston) put too much stock in these interviews with 17-18 year old kids. Just because a kid comes across like the Class Valedictorian doesn't mean it's going to translate into success in the NHL and vice versa.

I’m not sure if it’s about smarts as much as it’s about how he’d be received in the locker room

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I’m not sure if it’s about smarts as much as it’s about how he’d be received in the locker room

What I mean is they are good speakers/talkers and come across a certain way with a certain demeanor. Not talking how intelligent or smart they are. And yes, part of it is how they'd be received in the locker room. Does it matter? Sure. But like any workplace, it's not the be-all end-all, sometimes you just want an employee who produces results consistently, even if he/she isn't the most popular person in the workplace.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What I mean is they are good speakers/talkers and come across a certain way with a certain demeanor. Not talking how intelligent or smart they are. And yes, part of it is how they'd be received in the locker room. Does it matter? Sure. But like any workplace, it's not the be-all end-all, sometimes you just want an employee who produces results consistently, even if he/she isn't the most popular person in the workplace.

I have a feeling that a NHL locker room is a little different than you're average work place. Chemistry is a lot more important with a 23 man group than it is a company with even hundreds of employees.

Reactions: JOKER 192

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I have a feeling that a NHL locker room is a little different than you're average work place. Chemistry is a lot more important with a 23 man group than it is a company with even hundreds of employees.
I believe that is a huge issue with non-contact sports. It seems with baseball and basketball, one donkey hurts the team a bit and two donkeys sink the team, because they breed and turn normal players into more donkeys.

You never really see that with the contact sports. The donkeys get assimilated or their behavior just gets ignored, sort of like the Marchand licking epidemic. Look at that Vancouver team from around a decade ago. I have personally never seen so many repulsive personalities on one team, but it never dragged the team into the abyss.

I think maybe with hockey and football, when you get a psycho, it can spread to the rest of the team. One guy shows up and and acts like a madman, trying to injure people and whatnot, suddenly the whole team becomes the Big, Bad Whoevers.

Reactions: Spooner st

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It is different, no question.

But let's not act like everyone in the room has to be BFFs either, or that there have been successful teams in pro sports didn't have a quirky member or two. This team won a cup with a pretty quirky guy in Thomas as part of the group. Having a strange bird like Kessel didn't stop Pittsburgh from going back-to-back.

Chemistry is important, so is actual on-ice production.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It is different, no question.

But let's not act like everyone in the room has to be BFFs either, or that there have been successful teams in pro sports didn't have a quirky member or two. This team won a cup with a pretty quirky guy in Thomas as part of the group. Having a strange bird like Kessel didn't stop Pittsburgh from going back-to-back.

Chemistry is important, so is actual on-ice production.

Ok so we agree that chemistry and on-ice production are important. Now is every personality detrimental to a locker room? no, but some locker rooms handle some personalities better than others. Its part of the culture that teams build. Look at the Bruins, they value leadership. So much so that if you look back through jr careers, majority of their players have worn the C or A.

Can teams over analyze interviews at times? maybe, but they can over analyze anything. At the end of the day its just another tool teams use, but I don't think they put to much stock in it. I think they put as much stock in it as they do the on-ice production these kids have shown.

Last edited:
Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ok so we agree that chemistry and on-ice production are important. Now is every personality detrimental to a locker room? no, but some locker rooms handle some personalities better than others. Its part of the culture that teams build. Look at the Bruins, they value leadership. So much so that if you look back through jr careers, majority of their players have worn the C or A.

Can teams over analyze interviews at times? maybe, but they can over analyze anything. At the end of the day its just another tool teams use, but I don't think they put to much stock in it. I think they put as much stock in it as they do the on-ice production these kids have shown.

Completely agree. You make a good point too how some rooms handle quirky personalities better than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad