Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects X - Stay on subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
He would've been gone a lot sooner if he was two inches taller. Stupid concerns about his height kept him out of the first round. If he was 6 feet tall he would've gone top 10. I'm sick and tired of the height questions. Marchand, Debrincat and Gaudreau have hopefully put that silliness to bed.
2016 was the last year the height Nazi's had their way and Debrincat was the final nail that finished it

Lo97

May 10, 2019
2016 was the last year the height Nazi's had their way and Debrincat was the final nail that finished it
Alex Debrincat's success is the direct reason Cole Caufield was a surefire first round pick in this year's draft. Still mad Montreal stole him at 15 because he should've gone top 10. I just hope one day the Bruins get an opportunity at the next guy of the like and don't pass on him like they did in 2016. I was so mad.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He would've been gone a lot sooner if he was two inches taller. Stupid concerns about his height kept him out of the first round. If he was 6 feet tall he would've gone top 10. I'm sick and tired of the height questions. Marchand, Debrincat and Gaudreau have hopefully put that silliness to bed.

Amen. Theo Fleury and Martin St. Louis should have killed it long before. And on D, just on our team alone Grizz, Krug, Cliffy . . . you don't have to 6'4" to be a good NHL defenseman.

Reactions: Estlin and Lo97

Lo97

May 10, 2019
Amen. Theo Fleury and Martin St. Louis should have killed it long before. And on D, just on our team alone Grizz, Krug, Cliffy . . . you don't have to 6'4" to be a good NHL defenseman.
I really fail to understand how fans can recognize talent but supposed expert talent evaluators immediately rule a kid out because of his size. It's unbelievable. The height questions should have been killed a long time ago.

Reactions: Estlin and Dr Hook

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
I really fail to understand how fans can recognize talent but supposed expert talent evaluators immediately rule a kid out because of his size. It's unbelievable. The height questions should have been killed a long time ago.

The game has only recently changed to accommodate smaller players. Fleury and St. Louis were exceptional, and so, exceptions to the rule.
Grzelcyk would have been useless in hockey 10 years ago. His size would have been a liability. Back when net-front battles were a part of the game, he would have registered as a gnat against guys like Keith Tkachuk.
The game has changed, and the players with it.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The game has only recently changed to accommodate smaller players. Fleury and St. Louis were exceptional, and so, exceptions to the rule.
Grzelcyk would have been useless in hockey 10 years ago. His size would have been a liability. Back when net-front battles were a part of the game, he would have registered as a gnat against guys like Keith Tkachuk.

Your kidding, I hope.

Scratch that thought. I looked quick and thought U said Gretzky.:laugh:

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

The game has changed, you are correct, but not that dramatically. 10 years ago + Brian Rafalski wasn't useless , nor was Liles or Don Sweeney, to name three, and there are others. There weren't as many smaller D-men because teams mostly thought like you do and wouldn't draft, sign, or play them.

Reactions: Lo97 and TCB

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida

Selective bias. People talk a lot more about the ones they got right.

Reactions: wintersej

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
The game has changed, you are correct, but not that dramatically. 10 years ago + Brian Rafalski wasn't useless , nor was Liles or Don Sweeney, to name three, and there are others. There weren't as many smaller D-men because teams mostly thought like you do and wouldn't draft, sign, or play them.
Davey Keon was a heck of a player at 5'9, Butch Goring, Curt Giles, Mike O'Connell, etc.
I watched a great deal of hockey in the 70's and 80's, 90's and the crap they used to get away with vs today's game is radically different.
Back then you could hook a player to slow them down, hold them for 3-4 seconds, clutch and grab anytime you like and there was no penalty.
You would have thought that these rules would have made it harder to score goals?
But the opposite happened, more goals were scored back then vs now.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Davey Keon was a heck of a player at 5'9, Butch Goring, Curt Giles, Mike O'Connell, etc.
I watched a great deal of hockey in the 70's and 80's, 90's and the crap they used to get away with vs today's game is radically different.
Back then you could hook a player to slow them down, hold them for 3-4 seconds, clutch and grab anytime you like and there was no penalty.
You would have thought that these rules would have made it harder to score goals?
But the opposite happened, more goals were scored back then vs now.

Yes, you are right. I was referring more to the idea that you had to be a giant to succeed in the game of yesteryear. Clearly there was a lot more holding, hooking, clutch and grab- it was awful to watch sometimes, but it didn't require players to be 6'2 210 to succeed. The overall coaching and management culture of the day surely believed that, though.

Reactions: Lo97

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
The fact that we can list off so many undersized guys kinda proves they are the exception to the rule? The average Canadian man is 5'9" tall. If size didn't matter MOST NHL players would be the size of Krug, Gryz and Marchand. You OBVIOUSLY can be very successful as a smaller guy. But, the list of smaller guys that didn't make it is huge.

Reactions: Jim

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Nice write up on Andersson. Seems like a really good kid. If the Bs lose a defenseman in the expansion draft it’s comforting to know that he could be ready to step in to fill the void.
Bruins are 100% losing a d in the expansion

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Are you sure about that? If the Bs lose an F can they still lose a D? I thought a team can lose only one player.

Yeah, only one player per team. The expansion draft is so far out right now time-wise. It will all depend on who Seattle wants from other teams, injuries, performance- enough variables will be in play that it is impossible to say we are losing a defenseman for certain.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Yeah, only one player per team. The expansion draft is so far out right now time-wise. It will all depend on who Seattle wants from other teams, injuries, performance- enough variables will be in play that it is impossible to say we are losing a defenseman for certain.
That’s what I thought. I was surprised when kegs said it was 100% certain it would be a defenseman.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad