Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
I don't think it sends the right message to promote a guy who puts up mediocre numbers only because of his draft status. If he's good enough he'll outplay those around him and earn his place in Boston.
Guys with high draft pedigree always get the most chances.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
It's amazing to me that with all the issues they've had this year the only right shot winger in the system doesn't get at least one look.

Reactions: veganbruin

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't think it sends the right message to promote a guy who puts up mediocre numbers only because of his draft status. If he's good enough he'll outplay those around him and earn his place in Boston.

Fitzgerald is really the only guy in Providence that hasn't been given an NHL look that I'd say deserves one. Unless I'm missing someone.

They gave Anton Blidh a look and his stats were mediocre. I think it's time to give senyshyn a taste.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I am looking at Oskar Steen's stats and trying to guess what he might be in the NHL. I would prefer to compare him to Jesper Bratt, selected 3 spots ahead of him in 2016, but he never played in the SHL.
So I'll compare OS, who's 8 months older, to Elias Pettersson and while they were born in the same calendar year, Steen was drafted 1 year earlier.
Steen had played 2.5 years in the SHL up until the end of last season while EP only played there last year. So Steen was in the draft cycle 1 year ahead of EP but is still in the SHL 1 year later so there is at least a 2 year slower development curve, which is somewhat expected for smaller players.

The last time they played together was last year's WJC-20:
NameGamesGoalsAssists PointsPiM+/-
EP752 70-1
OS722 4125
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not bad numbers, 57% points as EP in small sample but playing on same team against same opponents.

EP went off in the SHL last year to lead the league in scoring as a rookie with 56 points in 44 games. He then went off even harder in the playoffs with 19 points in 13 games with a +17.
OS, with 2 years slower development, has 35 points in 43 games. That's about 62% of the point total of EP, call it 2/3rds for simplicity. The real test is to see how he performs in the playoffs. OS has played 17 SHL playoff over the last 3 seasons with 0 points and a -6 total. If he can be close to a PPG pace in the playoffs that would maintain a 2/3rds point % to EP.

2/3rds rate would have him around Heinen numbers last year, somewhere in the 40 point range as a 3rd liner. But really, I think we need to wait and see what he does in the playoffs. If he has another 0-for playoffs, then I don't think he will be much beyond a 4th liner and PKer. So I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet that the Bruins found another late round gem. Yet.

PS: He's tied for 7th overall in league scoring on the 2nd best team in the SHL. He's still 20 for another couple of days while the next youngest in the top 10 scoring is 25. There are also 2 26 year olds, a 27 year old, and the remaining 5 are 30 years old and up. So there is that.
Source: 2018–19 SHL season - Wikipedia

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Compare Steen's scoring rate to other U-21 forwards in the SHL in the past 10 years who've done the same. Every one of them has become an NHL player. The only question is if he's a middle-6 player like Calle Jarnkrok or another Viktor Arviddson/William Karlsson.

I was looking into this post from @bob27 from the last thread.

Over the past 10 years, Steen's 18-19 season currently ranks 6th in points per game for U21 players who played more than 1 game. The five ahead of him are Elias Pettersson, William Nylander, David Rundblad, Oskar Lindblom, and Marcus Kruger. Arvidsson and Jarnkrok are just behind him.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
I was looking into this post from @bob27 from the last thread.

Over the past 10 years, Steen's 18-19 season currently ranks 6th in points per game for U21 players who played more than 1 game. The five ahead of him are Elias Pettersson, William Nylander, David Rundblad, Oskar Lindblom, and Marcus Kruger. Arvidsson and Jarnkrok are just behind him.
Pretty good company!

BruinsNetwork

Would love to see it, but idk if he'd get the nod. Maybe @BruinsNetwork would have an idea

Not quite ready yet, but I see some nice progress from last season. He’s inconsistent, but I’d really like to see him on the top-six with the more talented players in Providence. When he’s with Frederic, they show some flashes and nice chemistry, though.

I’m not sure Senyshyn would be a good option in Boston unless they were committed to giving him a look with substantial time and talented players. But do I think he would look better in Boston, with NHL players, than in Providence? Yes, I do.

The Tank

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
I am looking at Oskar Steen's stats and trying to guess what he might be in the NHL. I would prefer to compare him to Jesper Bratt, selected 3 spots ahead of him in 2016, but he never played in the SHL.
So I'll compare OS, who's 8 months older, to Elias Pettersson and while they were born in the same calendar year, Steen was drafted 1 year earlier.
Steen had played 2.5 years in the SHL up until the end of last season while EP only played there last year. So Steen was in the draft cycle 1 year ahead of EP but is still in the SHL 1 year later so there is at least a 2 year slower development curve, which is somewhat expected for smaller players.

The last time they played together was last year's WJC-20:
NameGamesGoalsAssists PointsPiM+/-
EP752 70-1
OS722 4125
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not bad numbers, 57% points as EP in small sample but playing on same team against same opponents.

EP went off in the SHL last year to lead the league in scoring as a rookie with 56 points in 44 games. He then went off even harder in the playoffs with 19 points in 13 games with a +17.
OS, with 2 years slower development, has 35 points in 43 games. That's about 62% of the point total of EP, call it 2/3rds for simplicity. The real test is to see how he performs in the playoffs. OS has played 17 SHL playoff over the last 3 seasons with 0 points and a -6 total. If he can be close to a PPG pace in the playoffs that would maintain a 2/3rds point % to EP.

2/3rds rate would have him around Heinen numbers last year, somewhere in the 40 point range as a 3rd liner. But really, I think we need to wait and see what he does in the playoffs. If he has another 0-for playoffs, then I don't think he will be much beyond a 4th liner and PKer. So I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet that the Bruins found another late round gem. Yet.

PS: He's tied for 7th overall in league scoring on the 2nd best team in the SHL. He's still 20 for another couple of days while the next youngest in the top 10 scoring is 25. There are also 2 26 year olds, a 27 year old, and the remaining 5 are 30 years old and up. So there is that.
Source: 2018–19 SHL season - Wikipedia

I have a hard time seeing Steen with 0 points in this upcoming playoffs. His role is bigger this season than those before and the team overall is much much better. The line he plays on is one of the two best on the team and the line where the players has the best chemistry IMO.

So far tonight he has added a goal. Bad turnover by the opposition and he sniped it top shelf on goalies glove side.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
I have a hard time seeing Steen with 0 points in this upcoming playoffs. His role is bigger this season than those before and the team overall is much much better. The line he plays on is one of the two best on the team and the line where the players has the best chemistry IMO.

So far tonight he has added a goal. Bad turnover by the opposition and he sniped it top shelf on goalies glove side.

Streaming Orebro - Farjestad

And yeah Steen scored.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
He's quick and very agile, always in the middle of the action.

Had a great game tonight.
Yup, definitely worth tuning into and watching farjestad when they are playing. He is such a fun player to watch in the SHL and his line is fantastic. Really excited to see what he can bring over here

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yup, definitely worth tuning into and watching farjestad when they are playing. He is such a fun player to watch in the SHL and his line is fantastic. Really excited to see what he can bring over here

Yeah, exciting prospect for sure.

6 pts last year, 35 so far this season! I admit, i wasn't watching him last year, most likely didn't get top 6 minutes, got the opportunity this year and exploded.

Reactions: FanSince72

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I have no idea about how Oskar Steen plays at all just find it super interesting that he was selected only a couple picks after Jesper Bratt of the New Jersey devils in the 6th round...both sub 5’10’’ Swedish guys that play right wing.

Would be cool if Steen makes it just for the story. There’s gota be some seriously low odds of that happening.

Even more crazy is if Alexander Nylander and Jonathan Dahlen flame out but still very much early to say.

Goes to show you just never know who’s going to translate from the draft.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Hey Dom.I see the OHL has granted exceptional players status to a young lad (Shane Wright)and his bio says he is already 6ft 183 at just 15 with Don Mills Flyers .What do you know about this players skills please and thankyou.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I’ve been saying since before the hf boards bruins prospect poll that studnicka was the best prospect in the system. Now he’s putting up a ton of points, getting voted in the OHL coaches poll as a top defensive and penalty killing forward and making top 50 overall prospect rankings.

Still think studnicka and Vaak are the top two in the system, Oskar steen if flying up the prospect rankings.

Would love to see where that poll is going to be this offseason considering that donato is gone and Trent frederic hasn’t looked to great in his short stint with the big club and has had a relatively disappointing season from where many voters thought he would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad