Prospect Info: Bruins Prospects VIII - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
d55bc839-eff7-4a8e-ae5d-df1f84147eb3

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I think if he turned into Chris kelly that’s a big win. A 35-40 point top 9 center who can kill penalties is what I’m hoping for

Agreed I’d love for Stud to turn into Chris Kelly

Kelly had slightly better OHL numbers every year than Studnicka has now too..so it’s a good comparison

Kelly in the O

Year 1- 54-15-14-29
Year 2- 68-36-41-77
Year 3- 63-29-43-72
Year 4- 50-26-50-76

Stud in the O

Year 1- 62-4-22-26
Year 2- 64-18-34-52
Year 3- 66-22-50-72
Year 4- 56-34-41-75

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Agreed I’d love for Stud to turn into Chris Kelly

Kelly had slightly better OHL numbers every year than Studnicka has now too..so it’s a good comparison

Kelly in the O

Year 1- 54-15-14-29
Year 2- 68-36-41-77
Year 3- 63-29-43-72
Year 4- 50-26-50-76

Stud in the O

Year 1- 62-4-22-26
Year 2- 64-18-34-52
Year 3- 66-22-50-72
Year 4- 56-34-41-75

Living in Niagara I've watched him enough to say he is Chris Kelly like in every aspect of his game, skating, body type, defensively responsible etc...

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
The most impressive thing to me about steen is the fact that not only is he the points leader among forwards on his team, it’s the fact his team along with lulea are the clear cut top 2 teams in the shl. Another way to say it is that he’s the most productive forward on one of the best teams in the league. It’s not like he’s middling on a terrible team getting big minutes and producing garbage goals. He’s playing big minutes on a team that wins most of their games and also is producing points. Only the defensemen Jesse Virtanen has more points than him and it’s 38 to steens 37. And virtanen has played in 5 more games.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
The most impressive thing to me about steen is the fact that not only is he the points leader among forwards on his team, it’s the fact his team along with lulea are the clear cut top 2 teams in the shl. Another way to say it is that he’s the most productive forward on one of the best teams in the league. It’s not like he’s middling on a terrible team getting big minutes and producing garbage goals. He’s playing big minutes on a team that wins most of their games and also is producing points. Only the defensemen Jesse Virtanen has more points than him and it’s 38 to steens 37. And virtanen has played in 5 more games.

I am impressed by his production, no doubt, but I would be even more impressed if he has managed to maintain his aggressive, agitating style along the way.

I would love to hear from our Swedish board members on "what" Steen has mean to Farjestad's success...aside from on the scoresheet. Anyone care to comment?

BruinsNetwork

I am impressed by his production, no doubt, but I would be even more impressed if he has managed to maintain his aggressive, agitating style along the way.

I would love to hear from our Swedish board members on "what" Steen has mean to Farjestad's success...aside from on the scoresheet. Anyone care to comment?

I don’t watch in person, obviously, but I stream a lot of his games.

Steen is leaned on quite heavily for a 21-year-old kid (just turned 21 yesterday) playing against men in the SHL. Sometimes you’ll notice that the young ones are sheltered and given low TOI, but not Steen. He always seems to be out there. He’s also become one of, if not their most reliable penalty killer.

Steen isn’t a product of environment for production, either. He’s usually seen driving the play and offense for his linenates. Obviously he isn’t a one-man machine out there, but he’s working hard and actually creating opportunities and points.

His agitating side of his game has been sort of ramped up this season, but that’s actually not always a good thing. He’s got the skill to play the game, he doesn’t have to rely on getting under the skin of his opponents and possibly taking a stupid penalty as a result, which he’s taken quite a few of. Regardless, if that’s what’s working for him then that’s what’s working for him. Just needs to find that healthy balance.

He’s quite an interesting prospect and I wouldn’t be surprised if he came to NA and scored for Providence on a torrid pace.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014

Fellow poster from Sweden, Farjestad fan, wrote this in the Steen thread:

''This kid plays for my hometown team here in Sweden, and while I havent watched a lot of games this season, he has been good in the ones I have seen.
I feel like he plays a complete game in the sense that he does everything above average, strong on the puck, strong skating, good shot, good hockey senses, good passing.
I also feel like he has a playstyle that could translate well to the NHL, he has drive and is unafraid.
The main thing that speaks against him is his size, but for his height and age he is quite strong.
Plays a very important role on one of the top contenders in the SHL.
Can play center, wing (currently plays center).

I know this sounds like quite high praise, and it is, he has been really good this season. Here are some stats;

16 goals (5th in the league)
37 points (6th in the league)
Toi/g 15:38 (Quite a bit below what pretty much all the other top scorers in the league plays)
Has not had a lot of powerplay time this season, and thus only have 2 ppg. Unsure of the number of assissts as I cant find that stat, but its safe to say that most of his scoring has come 5v5.

Im going to be watching more and more games going forward, and all of the playoff games, and look forward to being able to give some updates on this player, hopefully with some more detailed information and observations.''

Reactions: Son of Donegal

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Living in Niagara I've watched him enough to say he is Chris Kelly like in every aspect of his game, skating, body type, defensively responsible etc...
I agree but just because Kelly ended up being a 35pt guy in the NHL it doesn't mean Studnicka doesn't have the potential to be better than that. Kelly also never put up numbers like Studnicka has been with Niagara.

Reactions: Blowfish

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I agree but just because Kelly ended up being a 35pt guy in the NHL it doesn't mean Studnicka doesn't have the potential to be better than that. Kelly also never put up numbers like Studnicka has been with Niagara.
No but Daniel Paille did. Studnicka's play indicates that he has skills to perhaps play in the NHL one day, but he is doing it as a 20 year old playing against children. But yes, it is far more encouraging than with past prospects like Senyshyn or Knight who failed to ever improve at the junior level and amounted to nothing the AHL.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
No but Daniel Paille did. Studnicka's play indicates that he has skills to perhaps play in the NHL one day, but he is doing it as a 20 year old playing against children. But yes, it is far more encouraging than with past prospects like Senyshyn or Knight who failed to ever improve at the junior level and amounted to nothing the AHL.

Jack Studnicka just turned 20 in February so a majority of this season, he was doing it as a 19 year old.

How didn't Zach Senyshyn improve at the junior level? He scored 26 points his rookie season there. Put up 65 points in his second season and put up 65 points in his third season, while playing in 7 less games?

I don't really care about Jared Knight. That must be some past garbage hangup you have from before I joined.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and BBB24

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Where do people come up with the statement “playing against kids”, dumbest thing I have read in a long time. CHL teams are made up of majority 18/19 year olds which is what Studnicka is, yes he is now 20 but just turned 20. Very few teams carry more than one 16 year old or 17 year old and when they do they see very little ice time unless they are a star. You have teams that are rebuilding but still carry majority 18/19 year olds.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Where do people come up with the statement “playing against kids”, dumbest thing I have read in a long time. CHL teams are made up of majority 18/19 year olds which is what Studnicka is, yes he is now 20 but just turned 20. Very few teams carry more than one 16 year old or 17 year old and when they do they see very little ice time unless they are a star. You have teams that are rebuilding but still carry majority 18/19 year olds.
Thank you for saving me from having to type that out. Almost every team in the league also carries 3 overagers who are all a year older than Studnicka.

Reactions: BBB24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->