Bruins Prospects VI - Stay on Subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Give and Go

Time will tell but there's a reason the Bruins pried JFK out of college.

And where is the upside for Studnicka? I watched him a lot this year and I don't see it. He had 22 goals on the top line with massive PP time. He barely outscored teammate Allan McShane, who is a year younger and went in the 4th round this year.

If someone wants to make a case for Frederic over JFK I'm sympathetic, because he's big, athletic and put up the numbers but Studnicka has a long way to go to be in the class of those two.
These are funny looking back now lol

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I said this in the Donato thread, but it really applies to all our young players.
"I think people need to remember these young guys need time to figure it out. Look at Pasta, the points have been there the last few years, but his 3-zone game was/is still a work in progress. This year I'll say Pasta looks like a completely different player and if manages to be like Marchy defensively, it might be the greatest gift (outside of a cup) that Bergy has given this team.

With that, this is Pasta 5th year in the NHL. Think about that, as insanely talented and elite as Pasta is, it took him 4 years to really figure it out."

Reactions: BigBear83

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
After being pulled on October 14th, Kyle Keyser is nothing shot of dominating. Since then he has a 1.33 goals against average and a .957 save percentage and a 3-0-0 record.

I expect he will be named the OHL goaltender of the week tomorrow and a finalist for CHL Goaltender of the week Tuesday.

Glad I got him on my SIM team, will pay off in three or fours years, of course :laugh:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I went to watch Oshawa on Thursday:

Studnicka finished with an assist and empty netter (in a 4-1 win) and he definitely made some plays but to me he's still a puzzle missing some pieces. In open ice with the puck he's a very good player. If he has speed coming through the neutral zone he can handle the puck, shoot and find the open man and he makes the right decision. He's a top-notch prospect in open ice. Defensively, he battles, he wins faceoffs, he skates back hard and breaks up plays. He's in the right spot.

Where it just doesn't click is once the rush ends. He struggles to make things happen off the cycle. He sorta floats around the perimeter and when he gets the puck, he just doesn't drive plays. You want to see him hungrier to win pucks on offense. An example was a loose puck right in the slot where he kinda did a fly-by and came up empty. I badly wanted to see him skate right into the mix. When something was going on in front of the net or headed in that direction, I wanted to see him head to the net but I'd look up and see him on the perimeter. On the powerplay, he's great at getting possession and getting set up but once it's in place, he forces plays that aren't there too often. You want to see him dominate but he wasn't dominant in this one.

Still, he does a lot of things well and he's likely going to make the NHL but I struggle to see him as a top-six center. At this age, he should be taking over games.

The best player on Oshawa was Serron Noel. That's the guy I wanted the Bruins to draft with the pick they traded for Rick Nash. Florida eventually got him at #34. He's a 6-foot-5 beast who can skate, pass and mix it up. Love that guy.

The other Bruins prospect in the game was Kyle Keyser. Every time I watch him, he's really good. He was the 2nd star in this game and earned it. The only goal he gave up was late in a 4-0 game. He should have had it but when the game was still on the line, he was swallowing up rebounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: bryson21

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Kind of a Jekyll and Hyde weekend for Swayman. I didn't get to see the games so I'm not sure how much was on him. They did face one of the top 3 teams (Minnesota Duluth) in the country so it was kind of expected. Here were his two games...

Fri - 7 GA / 18 SV
Sat - 3 GA / 38 SV

In Friday's game, Swayman was lifted after the 2nd period. This next weekend they'll be up near my stomping grounds (Uconn), so I may try and get over there for 1 of the games.

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Gabrielle with a goal and a good game for the Gladiators.

I still think and believe he can be Marschand #2

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Gabrielle with a goal and a good game for the Gladiators.

I still think and believe he can be Marschand #2

That is some high praise. In the ECHL @ 21 with the potential to be similar to a guy that is Top 5 in scoring over the cumulative last 3 years.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
That is some high praise. In the ECHL @ 21 with the potential to be similar to a guy that is Top 5 in scoring over the cumulative last 3 years.

Yep, he's going to have to rise a long, long way to even get to Marchand's rookie year level. I hope he can do it, but at this point Gabrielle might just be lucky to become an every day AHLer.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, but for what team?

i would say that i'd be surprised if gabrielle is still in the organization by the summer,
but i said that about koko before, and i said it about cehlarik as well. and they are still
hanging around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad