2019 Winter Classic Bruins /Hawks at Notre Dame 1/1/2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Bruins Winter Classic Charity Bags Give Fans Opportunity To Buy Memorabilia

The Boston Bruins Charity Bag presented by ’47 is a one-of-a-kind collection of Boston Bruins and Winter Classic themed memorabilia. These limited edition bags will be giving fans the first opportunity to purchase the new Winter Classic jersey, as well as receiving it autographed in time for the holidays. Whether purchasing as a gift for the holidays or just adding to your collection, these items are a must have. In addition to getting your hands on these great items, you’ll also be supporting two non-profits in the Boston Bruins Foundation and Cam Neely Foundation for Cancer Care.

The charity bags program offers fans the opportunity to choose from two different product options. The Premier Level Bag guarantees fans a Boston Bruins Winter Classic jersey autographed by Patrice Bergeron, Zdeno Chara, Brad Marchand, Charlie McAvoy or David Pastrnak. The Gold Level Bag gives fans the chance-to-win a Boston Bruins black home jersey autographed by Cam Neely, David Backes, Ray Bourque, David Krejci, Torey Krug or Tuukka Rask.

Boston Bruins Charity Bags Presented by '47

Thanks Wally, Received mine Friday and it had a Brad Marchand jersey. :)

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
Im sure no one cared about this as much as me but finally get a look at the pants socks (total package). It's just perfect...

Attachments

• wc-hats-1939.jpg
    wc-hats-1939.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 49

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
NHL Road to Winter Classic

NBCSN (all times Eastern) - for USA
Episode 1 - Wednesday, Dec 19 @ 11:30pm
Episode 2 - Thursday, Dec 27 @ 5:30pm
Episode 3 - Sunday, Jan 6 @ 11:30pm

Sportsnet (all times Eastern) - for Canada
Episode 1 - Friday, Dec 21 @ 7pm on SN360
Episode 2 - Friday, Dec 28 @ 7pm on SN360
Episode 3 - Monday, Jan 7 @ 5pm on SN1

@Nhl YouTube, Facebook and Instagram (all times Eastern) - for Internetlandia
Episode 1 - Dec 22 @ 11am
Episode 2 - Dec 29 @ 11am
Episode 3 - Jan 8 @ 11am

Short episodes - according to my FiOS guide, it's only a half hour for the first two. I'm 90% sure Behind the B did an "Amazing Race" team-building pre-season flashback episode that they showed in December for the 2015-6 season...Chris Kelly's femur magically went from "so broken that it ended his time with the Bruins" to "healed and playing some games with Boston firefighters". Presumably this was so they didn't step on the toes of whoever did the Winter Classic doc that year (HBO? EPIX?) I wonder if we'll get the same treatment this year.

In related news - while the Bruins seem to be gradually healing up, relatively speaking, Chicago's going in the other direction....

Blackhawks put goalie Corey Crawford on injured reserve, recall Collin Delia

I mean...Cam Ward's at least a recognizable name, but folks who dished out the money to go, particularly Chicago fans, are going to be disappointed. Crawford's eligible to come back on the 27th, but with his history of concussion, and with concussions themselves being a black box when it comes to return dates...

Reactions: Sevendust

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Looks like their MIGHT be extra trains from Chicago after all

2018 Holiday Service

• Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2019 – We will operate a weekend/holiday schedule for official observance of New Year’s Day. Information regarding NHL Winter Classic extra train service will be announced in a separate Service Advisory.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Did anyone know this? This alone is worth it!

Grammy Award-winning band Weezer will headline the entertainment for the ... NHL Winter Classic® between theChicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins on ...
Maybe they can sing “Africa” with Toto during the first intermission

Reactions: talkinaway

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Did anyone know this? This alone is worth it!

Grammy Award-winning band Weezer will headline the entertainment for the ... NHL Winter Classic® between theChicago Blackhawks and Boston Bruins on ...

Saw Weezer in 2017 with a few buddies, my first show of theirs. It rocked. I was pretty drunk not even halfway through the show.

I had to get drunk because Panic at the Disco was opening for them, and I don't believe anyone can stay sober trying to listen to that shit...their high school fans were getting pretty pissy hearing me heckle!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Episode 1 wasn't bad - Cassidy at home, Chara on rehab. Only so much you can do in 24 minutes.

Cassidy has a lovely home with a backyard rink

upload_2018-12-20_0-12-56.png

Last edited:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Episode 1 wasn't bad - Cassidy at home, Chara on rehab. Only so much you can do in 24 minutes.

Cassidy has a lovely home with a backyard rink

View attachment 167303
I wish they had separate episodes for each team. I have no desire to see more about the Blackhawks.

Although I wish I had the money to bid on Crawford's car. That thing is awesome.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Nice house Cassidy has. Don't know if he rents or owns, but it looks like he's planning on being there a while. ;)

On the flip side, it still strikes me as odd seeing baby-faced Jeremy Colliton coaching the three-time Cup winning Hawks, many of whom are very close to him in age.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nice house Cassidy has. Don't know if he rents or owns, but it looks like he's planning on being there a while. ;)

On the flip side, it still strikes me as odd seeing baby-faced Jeremy Colliton coaching the three-time Cup winning Hawks, many of whom are very close to him in age.

Somebody at TD told me he lives in Sinden's former home.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Colliton's younger than four of the Hawks - including both of their regular goalies (although with Crow it's a matter of days), Keith, and Kunitz. He's only younger than one Bruin.

I find the "Behind the C" part mildly interesting - obviously not as interesting as watching our boys, and seeing Falconer get a shout-out for his stick handling. Probably that's why they blend the episodes - if they did "all Hawks" followed by "all Bruins", they'd lose a decent part of the audience.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Colliton's younger than four of the Hawks - including both of their regular goalies (although with Crow it's a matter of days), Keith, and Kunitz. He's only younger than one Bruin.

I find the "Behind the C" part mildly interesting - obviously not as interesting as watching our boys, and seeing Falconer get a shout-out for his stick handling. Probably that's why they blend the episodes - if they did "all Hawks" followed by "all Bruins", they'd lose a decent part of the audience.

Looking at it from a producers standpoint the NHL has a real problem.

Chicago is the Titanic - they are floundering and there is no easy fix. Boston could still jell in the second half with everybody back.

I have no idea why the NHL thought Boston was the ideal visiting team at this venue. Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh or Nashville all made more sense.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
FINALLY

NHL WINTER CLASSIC SERVICE

To accommodate passengers attending the NHL Winter Classic taking place at noon Central Standard Time on Jan. 1, 2019, the South Shore Line will operate a morning eastbound extra and an afternoon westbound extra.

The NHL will provide free shuttle bus service for passengers between South Bend Westmoor St. (just west of the South Bend International Airport) and Notre Dame Stadium. Busing will be available to passengers on the extra trains and EB Train 503 and WB Train 508.
Train seating will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Passengers are reminded to please arrive early at your boarding stations.

Jan. 1, 2019
Eastbound extra service:
An extra eastbound train will depart Millennium Station at 7:30 a.m. Central Time and will arrive at South Bend Westmoor St. (unlisted stop) at 9:42 a.m. CT.

Passengers will disembark the extra at the Westmoor St. location, and board buses for transport to Notre Dame campus. The buses will drop passengers off at the east side of campus on Twyckenham Drive.

NOTE: South Bend Transpo busing will not be operating on Jan. 1 due to the holiday; busing will be provided by Cardinal Buses. SSL busing will not be available to and from the South Bend International Airport.

Westbound extra service:
For the return trip, the buses will depart campus approximately 45 minutes following the game. The buses will stage for loading near the campus drop-off location, and will return passengers to the Westmoor St. location for departure on the westbound extra train around 5:15 p.m. CT. (westbound schedule is tentative and subject to change based on actual game end time).

The SSL encourages return-trip passengers to promptly depart the stadium at the conclusion of the game, and proceed to the buses for their return trips

Screen-Shot-2018-12-20-at-8.36.39-AM.png

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

Chicago is the Titanic - they are floundering and there is no easy fix. Boston could still jell in the second half with everybody back.

I have no idea why the NHL thought Boston was the ideal visiting team at this venue. Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh or Nashville all made more sense.

I'll play devil's advocate and say they made the right decision with the Bruins.

Detroit is having trouble filling their own shiny new barn, and it's a bad look for the league seeing all those seats painted black. There is no guarantee their fans would make the trek to Notre Dame, especially when the team isn't very good and lacking marquee stars.

Nashville may be the darlings of the league and they can slap Pernell-Karl's mug on all the marketing material to show how racially diverse they think they are. But this team is still only three years removed from having to have an area code restriction on playoff tickets so games against the Hawks didn't look like Chicago home games.

I lived in Philly for four years back in the 80's. The Flyers played to capacity crowds but there was a joke in the local papers that there were only 18,000 hockey fans in Philly, and they all went to the games. So just how many fans from Nashville would make the trip, especially on a day dominated by college football?

Plus, the Preds win with their top 4 D and elite goaltending. If the league wants to showcase the game to casual fans, they need offensive stars to display.

A similar case can be made against Columbus; and while Pittsburgh is loaded with offensive talent, they've been on the national stage quite a bit.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I'm planning to come up for the day, so any listers who are also in South Bend, I'd be more than happy to meet up and put some faces with usernames.

Last edited:

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN

When this game was announced last year, the Blackhawks' struggles were considered a one-year blip largely due to Corey Crawford's injury (and they're one of NBC's biggest ratings drivers) that would likely be back in contention. The Bruins were expected to be a Cup contender with a strong young core.

That, and this is NBC's baby and a made-for-TV event, and so NBC is generally going to rotate the highest-profile teams through this event (the Original Six teams + Flyers/Caps/Penguins). The only teams outside that bunch who have played in one are Buffalo (who draws huge local ratings) and St. Louis (to host the 2017 game).

This game feels a lot like the TOR-DET Ann Arbor game. Because the game is being played in a classic, historic football stadium, put two classic Original Six teams there. With the whole Fighting Irish theme, a Boston team fits the imagery well for marketing reasons.

Detroit-Chicago has already been done in a Winter Classic, although with the game in South Bend, it would make a ton of sense with the Wings fans in southern Michigan (but it would likely be a 50/50 crowd, and I'm not sure Chicago would want to give up its only home game against Detroit, which is still a big draw).

Pittsburgh would have been a good one, and it would've given NBC another opportunity to showcase Crosby & Malkin. South Bend is about a 5-hour drive from Pittsburgh and there's a direct route.

Columbus & Nashville don't move the needle for NBC and really don't have much of a fanbase outside of their home markets. I'm not sure they'd drive ticket sales (which the league wants) or TV ratings (which NBC wants). Here in Indianapolis - which is probably the closest large city besides Chicago and Detroit to South Bend - Columbus is a 2.5-hour drive from my home and I know almost *no* CBJ fans. It's a Blackhawks town with a lot of Wings fans scattered about.

Prince Pasta

ANTHONY!
Aug 20, 2006
The Granite Town in The Granite State
Buyer Beware, Don't order a Jersey from Fanatics. Got it from there with a coupon, its an authentic WC jersey and there is just shoddiness everywhere. Name plate isn't on straight, fight strap isn't centered, letters aren't spaced properly etc. I'm not a fan of the Adidas "authentic" quality vs the Reebok or CCM jerseys to begin with but this is all on Fanatics... NHL Shop uses them too so I assume its the same from them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad