Post-Game Talk: Bruins 5 - Mike Sullivan's Penguins 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Good grief. Some of y’all are acting like we didn’t have 15 straight years of Stanley cup contending teams + 4 cup appearances + 3 cups. I want them to win like anyone else here but facts are facts. Teams get old. They get stale. It takes more than five minutes to bring them back into contention.

Buncha Babies

People are just having an impossible time dealing with the fact that the way this team's conducted itself over the past decade--throwing picks and prospects out the door in a win-now situation (which was the correct course of action)--means they're gonna have to go through a slow, shitty rebuild via the draft.

The thing that really sucks is that all of this was self-inflicted. Time is undefeated, sure, but Sid's still good and Geno's fine for his role/cap hit. The team just repeatedly self-sabotaged over the course of more than half a decade. They might've had a shot to pull this thing out of the nosedive after the Habs play-in, if they nuked the coaching staff and FO and tried to commit to changing course. But nearly every decision, and non-decision, they've made since 2018 has been a comical series of blunders that resulted in this team snowballing down the hill to what it is now.
It’s also possible that none of the hypothetical moves you mentioned would result in a better present day situation.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Good grief. Some of y’all are acting like we didn’t have 15 straight years of Stanley cup contending teams + 4 cup appearances + 3 cups. I want them to win like anyone else here but facts are facts. Teams get old. They get stale. It takes more than five minutes to bring them back into contention.

Buncha Babies
We're babies for wanting a coach that gives a toss? Heck I'd settle for a coach that doesn't give a damn but at least coaches.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

Buncha Babies

The teams issue isn't age. It's a stale system that lets other teams reacts faster to the Pens predictable play and lets other teams deke around with their heads down, making look faster than they are. Pens are probably comfortably in a playoff spot with an average PP and making opponents respect them with not throwing away easy hits.

So you can see why people are upset. The coaching staff has set players up to fail by neutering them

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Time to face hard facts:

1) Lack of talent and rampant level of guys going through the motions has swept over the team. If they're lucky, maybe 6 more wins this year

2) Next year is very likely to be lottery pick time

3) Sully is not getting fired this year, nor over the summer. If the team really bombs next year out of the gate, maybe by New Year's, but unlikely. Since he hasn't been fired by now, he's not getting fired anytime soon
Sully not getting fired by now just shows you that this org is not interested in winning. They got a guy that won 2 cups, that's all they want. They can lie all they want but what they are not doing is so obvious.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
We're babies for wanting a coach that gives a toss? Heck I'd settle for a coach that doesn't give a damn but at least coaches.
No. We all want the team to improve. I think most of us think sully should be gone. I’m talking about the comments regarding losing respect for Sid, franchise doesn’t care, ownership doesn’t care, Mario doesn’t care, etc.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Lose as many games as possible for a top 5 pick and getting the best so turned up that Sully has to be let go and FSG tries to sell- Dubas playing 6-D chess on FSG

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
No. We all want the team to improve. I think most of us think sully should be gone. I’m talking about the comments regarding losing respect for Sid, franchise doesn’t care, ownership doesn’t care, Mario doesn’t care, etc.
We traded Jake before trying a new coach, this has gone on for years. I think it's pretty obvious they don't care. :/

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Anyone that says this was not around in 2003.

2003 will be 2026-27 when we have a 41 year old Sidney Crosby, and 34 and 36 year old Rakell and Rust floating around.

This team is not even close to the bottom.

It's hilarious that people do thing that though.
Well, I mean, sid and geno will never be as pointless as Daigle or Buchberger

So, with that, yeah, this team isn't he same

But we ain't winning shit anymore

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
The teams issue isn't age. It's a stale system that lets other teams reacts faster to the Pens predictable play and lets other teams deke around with their heads down, making look faster than they are. Pens are probably comfortably in a playoff spot with an average PP and making opponents respect them with not throwing away easy hits.

So you can see why people are upset. The coaching staff has set players up to fail by neutering them
No doubt the system is stale. The problem is they had to get ridiculously fast in a very small window of time. Borderline impossible. Now they’re at the point of no return.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No doubt the system is stale. The problem is they had to get ridiculously fast in a very small window of time. Borderline impossible. Now they’re at the point of no return.

Why exactly is it impossible?

I think the team is likely done. But, stranger things have happened.

If Crosby, Letang, Karlsson and Malkin were all toast, I'd agree, but if Dubas makes some smart moves this team should be able to be a playoff team.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Someone doesn't care, this mess has dragged out way too long.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

If Crosby, Letang, Karlsson and Malkin were all toast, I'd agree, but if Dubas makes some smart moves this team should be able to be a playoff team.
If they fire Sully and the core doesn't fall off a cliff due to age I think they can be a playoff team next year.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Re-signing Harkins and Carter will be a good first step to turning this team around!!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
There's an interesting free agent crop this off season. Lots of good forwards available.

Even ignoring Jake there's some really good players that Dubas could try to make a splash with if he wanted to.

sovietsanta87

Jan 3, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

It’s impossible because you needed to flip half the roster in 2020 to meet the standards of the system. And the chances of hitting those players at a high clip is borderline impossible. I would’ve fired sully after 2021. But I could see a franchise getting lulled into a false sense of security with a guy that won back to back cups. Not to mentioned his predecessor was point proof that a coaching change doesn’t guarantee success.

I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as “well they don’t care about winning”.

Torts getting tossed from the game and refusing to leave was hilarious. Maybe Sully should do that the rest of the season?
He’s doing the opposite right now

Also there’s a million theories on what this ownership group wants to do. Tanking the team to move them is probably the dumbest theory out there

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I watched the first period and they looked decent and then I missed the shitshow I guess lol

Tired of this team…not gonna watch the slaughter tomorrow

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If they fire Sully and the core doesn't fall off a cliff due to age I think they can be a playoff team next year.
Well, yeah.

Half the league makes the playoffs.

A legit contender?

There really aren't moves that can be made with almost no legit prospects anywhere close to being called up to be cheap talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad