Confirmed with Link: Bruins 2015 & 2016 2nd Round Picks to the Lightning for Brett Connolly

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
Idk, Minnesota did pretty well grabbing el Niño from the Islanders. I know it's just one example but sometimes guys just need a change of scenery or a different system to take the next step.
Yeah, that one definitely worked out and I'm not saying Connolly can't, just think in general the odds are typically against these draft disappointments really taking off elsewhere.

I'm not really complaining though because this is exactly the type of deal this team belongs making in the situation they are in. Thinking more for the future than for this year, but adding a guy who can be of use this year at the same time. I thought we were going the rental avenue, so this definitely beats that even if I'm not a huge believer in Connolly.

Makes sense from a cap perspective too though, since we don't really have the cap space next year to add a proven guy making big dollars in '15-'16. We sort of had to gamble on an unproven commodity with upside who can likely be retained on a cheap bridge deal.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't hate it. He can help us this year and down the road... he was VERY highly regarded for 2-3 years after his draft. Could definitely find himself.

FireSweeney

Oct 23, 2010
Auburn, Maine
Least it is better than having Caron in the lineup. If he can find himself and play like a top 10 draft pick then this will look real good down the road.

cat400

Jul 30, 2005
No need for Ryder now because if memory serves me, Connolly's parents are from NL so the Bruins have gotten their piece of the rock. :)

Could be the kinda of steal you get when a team like Tampa has too many good assets for a Cap Era.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Risky but has the chance to be a steal. I rather go for this type of move than some of the other garbage that's been traded.

Now trade soda for a first and move the guys that are not in your plans, ie ALL ufa

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Huh. I certainly don't hate it. But it's not a big, impact move. More like fairly conservative and smart.

Can people stop with the "okay...now let's wait for the next deal" crap? Seriously, when is the last time that was said around here and something actually happened? Deal should probably be evaluated as if it's all that will occur.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I REALLY like this trade. Not that this projection matters all that much anymore, but I'll always remember people saying that Connolly was only a small step-back from the Seguin/Hall duo, but he dropped due to injury concerns.

The Bruins are pretty well insulated for 2nd rounders, and while a couple 2nds seems a bit steep, I think it's a worthwhile risk to take to get a 22 year old with a lot of talent that may just need a change of scenery; the fact that he fills an exact need for the Bruins is a big contributing factor as well.

I mean, we're probably giving up a 2nd for someone like Stewart, and Connolly could very well be nearly as effective this year depending on how he fits with certain linemates (there's a lot of room to experiment with different players right now), as well as hopefully turning into a solid roster player in the future as well.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
No need for Ryder now because if memory serves me, Connolly's parents are from NL so the Bruins have gotten their piece of the rock. :)

Could be the kinda of steal you get when a team like Tampa has too many good assets for a Cap Era.

Pretty much what airways thinking.

He's on their 4th line not because he's bad but because that's where they had a spot for him.

My guess is on most other teams he's a 3rd/2nd line player.

Also he's 22 and in his first full NHL season. Seems unfair to say he's a bust at this point. It's kind of sad that the cap era means young players have to produce immediately or get "bust" stamped on their record.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
The more I look into this the more I like it. Connolly had terrific AHL stats for a player who was still 20-21. That shows tremendous upside. I also like his 12 goals this year, and I think his 3 assists is an oddity. Historically, he is pretty much an even up assist/goal guy. I wonder if with some better luck and better linemates, his stats this year wouldn't be more like 12-12-24 in ~50 games. Size, speed, physicality and some offense, and we hold his rights for at least a few more years. Better than a rental IMO.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Yes-everyone who didn't want Stewart, Cole or worse should be thrilled. Cole wasn't that much cheaper than Connelly and Connelly is an RFA with a cheap cap hit. If he works out and sticks around and plays in the top 6 he came cheap and turns into a steal.

I still want a Dman though if they can find one.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Had enough potential to be a top 10 pick... injuries hurt his development and then he got buried behind alot of talent. Sometimes these gambles pay off nice.

For those keeping score here is another chiarelli trade that no one had a clue was coming.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Well if Connolly can return two 2nd rd picks because he was a 6th rd pick overall in 2010 and is playing as a 4th liner in Tampa than...

Jordan Caron who was the 25th pick overall in 2009 and is playing as a 4th liner in Boston should get in return.....????

Hardly doubt it that he can even return one 2nd rd pick.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
Least it is better than having Caron in the lineup. If he can find himself and play like a top 10 draft pick then this will look real good down the road.

You've watched this team for the last few years. What makes you believe that Clode will bench his binky? Pandalfo had to retire to get out of playing for the Bruins every year!

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I think Elder could be the D target. I'm trying to remember the deal the Bruins worked out with Vancouver last year. It was contingent on someone moving to Pittsburgh.

5pointslow

Feb 11, 2015
Taunton ma
somtimes a new scene make s the big difference .....on the fcae of it 2 2nds looks bad , but we gotta see what we can get .

a lot of people want kassian , but on the face of it maybe connolly has more upside ? who knows and re-signing him if works out maybe affordable .

im prob trying to be possitive i guess , is he the first since samsonov to wear #14 assuming he uses that #

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I think Elder could be the D target. I'm trying to remember the deal the Bruins worked out with Vancouver last year. It was contingent on someone moving to Pittsburgh.

That would be Kesler, and that deal fell through because Pittsburgh didn't want to pay the asking price.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Much more comfortable with a move like this than for a rental old fart.

I was flip flopping last night, slept on it, and woke up digging this trade. I agree, it is nice adding a guy who can be a long term piece of he proves he can be productive here.

I read in an article that he has the 16th best 5 vs 5 goals per/60 minutes in the league. That's interesting.

Also want to point out that this is yet another Bruins deal that goes down without anybody catching a sniff of it- I don't want to hear people complaining that the front office doesn't do anything or doesn't have the balls to make a move. Especially since they are seemingly much more tight-lipped than others across the league. The last guy we traded for that we were linked to for awhile was Kaberle.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
You've watched this team for the last few years. What makes you believe that Clode will bench his binky? Pandalfo had to retire to get out of playing for the Bruins every year!

Considering he was waived earlier this year and has only played 11 games while the Bruins have been starving for a RW, I don't think Claude's too attached.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It stings, he has upside but I don't see where he fits in the lineup. He needs a good distributor to be even remotely worthwhile.

Boston may have some issues, but with Krejci, Bergeron, Soderberg, and Spooner one could argue we're ok in terms of good distributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad