Injury Report: Bruins ‘23 - ‘24 Injured List

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Boston kicked off the trip with a thrilling 6-5 overtime win over the Oilers, during which the Bruins let a 4-1 second-period lead turn into a 4-4 draw, then blew another lead before recovering in overtime thanks to Charlie McAvoy’s goal.
Matt Grzelcyk, who left Wednesday’s game with a lower-body injury, is listed as day-to-day. Jakub Lauko and Hampus Lindholm are both out Thursday.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Matt Grzelcyk, felled on his first and only shift a night earlier in Edmonton, remained sidelined Thursday night when the Bruins continued their four-game trip with a 3-2 overtime loss to the the Flames.
According to coach Jim Montgomery, Grzelcyk’s availability will be assessed day to day.
“Lots of improvement,” said Montgomery. “Back-to-back [games], it just didn’t make sense [for him to play].”
The coach also confirmed that the injury was to Grzelcyk’s lower body, possibly related to the slash Oilers forward Ryan McLeod delivered across the top of the defenseman’s left skate boot. Grzelcyk’s ice time for the night: 35 seconds.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

TP70BruinsCup

Let’s Go Bruins👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Nov 16, 2019
North of Leafland
I heard Haggerty on the NHL network radio today say Lindholm started to skate yesterday but isn’t close to being ready so I’d expect 2-3 more weeks perhaps.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Kid is pretty tough. Many weeks with shoulder brace and was still playing.

The Bruins’ 19-year-old rookie forward, who had his season cut short by right shoulder surgery, has been a regular at Warrior Arena as he rehabs from the Feb. 7 open stabilization procedure.

“It’s all been pretty positive. First couple of weeks, you’re not really doing too much, but it’s been three weeks,” said Poitras, who is looking at a five-month recovery time, Thursday. “So this last week I got out of the sling and started working out, so it’s been nice to be around here and keep being in the rink and getting physio done.”

“Obviously I was very disappointed,” he said. “You never want to miss a big chunk of time, especially pushing into later in the season, you want to be here, and you want to be playing, but it was the right thing for me to get this done.

“It wasn’t worth it to kind of risk further damage to my shoulder. You’ve got to think about it kind of long term and whether it was in hockey or just having a healthy shoulder for the rest of my life.”

Poitras said the injury started bothering him around Christmas, and he was forced to leave a Jan. 9 loss at Arizona after absorbing a big hit.

He continued to play through the injury, and though the pain didn’t limit him too much on the ice, he felt the shoulder bark when opponents got physical. Eventually he realized his game was suffering.

“I was wearing a brace, which obviously didn’t let me play exactly how I wanted to play,” said Poitras, who potted 5 goals and had 15 points in 33 games. “But again, when you have a hurt shoulder, it’s always kind of in the back of your mind, so maybe I wasn’t playing the way I wanted to be playing. So it was the right decision to get it fixed.”

In addition to rehabbing, Poitras said, he’ll be training with an eye toward his sophomore campaign.

“I’m going to try to use this time to put on a bit of size, and where I might have been lacking in some strength, this will be a good opportunity for me to make up for that,” he said.

Though his season didn’t end the way he’d like, he views it now as getting a head start on 2024-25.

“I got a good chunk of the season in, and I’ll be here for the rest of the year just learning, so I feel like I wasn’t really expected to make the team and this year was a bonus playing up here and learning and experiencing life in the NHL and living on my own,” Poitras said. “It’s really good to learn that stuff, so I’m more prepared for next season.”

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Kid is pretty tough. Many weeks with shoulder brace and was still playing.

The Bruins’ 19-year-old rookie forward, who had his season cut short by right shoulder surgery, has been a regular at Warrior Arena as he rehabs from the Feb. 7 open stabilization procedure.

“It’s all been pretty positive. First couple of weeks, you’re not really doing too much, but it’s been three weeks,” said Poitras, who is looking at a five-month recovery time, Thursday. “So this last week I got out of the sling and started working out, so it’s been nice to be around here and keep being in the rink and getting physio done.”

“Obviously I was very disappointed,” he said. “You never want to miss a big chunk of time, especially pushing into later in the season, you want to be here, and you want to be playing, but it was the right thing for me to get this done.

“It wasn’t worth it to kind of risk further damage to my shoulder. You’ve got to think about it kind of long term and whether it was in hockey or just having a healthy shoulder for the rest of my life.”

Poitras said the injury started bothering him around Christmas, and he was forced to leave a Jan. 9 loss at Arizona after absorbing a big hit.

He continued to play through the injury, and though the pain didn’t limit him too much on the ice, he felt the shoulder bark when opponents got physical. Eventually he realized his game was suffering.

“I was wearing a brace, which obviously didn’t let me play exactly how I wanted to play,” said Poitras, who potted 5 goals and had 15 points in 33 games. “But again, when you have a hurt shoulder, it’s always kind of in the back of your mind, so maybe I wasn’t playing the way I wanted to be playing. So it was the right decision to get it fixed.”

In addition to rehabbing, Poitras said, he’ll be training with an eye toward his sophomore campaign.

“I’m going to try to use this time to put on a bit of size, and where I might have been lacking in some strength, this will be a good opportunity for me to make up for that,” he said.

Though his season didn’t end the way he’d like, he views it now as getting a head start on 2024-25.

“I got a good chunk of the season in, and I’ll be here for the rest of the year just learning, so I feel like I wasn’t really expected to make the team and this year was a bonus playing up here and learning and experiencing life in the NHL and living on my own,” Poitras said. “It’s really good to learn that stuff, so I’m more prepared for next season.”
It is hard to not like this kid.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
It is hard to not like this kid.
No idea how high his ceiling is but I can't agree more. I will be ecstatic if he becomes a middle 6 staple while continuing to work and compete as hard as he has. I have to imagine 2C will happen and have not written off the idea he can be a number 1C. I still feel like he has many of the Bergeron qualities with shades of Marchand. Please don't confuse those similarities with expectation for accomplishment. As I stated above I have no real sense where this kid will go from here. I don't know if he will ever be a first liner or all star, but I sure do look forward to watching this play out.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
"Poitras said the injury started bothering him around Christmas"
Does that mean the injury dates to the WJC? If I recall correctly he took a couple of heavy hits in that tournament.
He took some heavy hits in front of us at Bs games.

He needs to bulk up a bit.

Looking forward to his return on the Providence Bs.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
So what happened With Zacha I missed it ,Montgomery said he didn’t know if he would be day to day or week to week.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
"Poitras said the injury started bothering him around Christmas"
Does that mean the injury dates to the WJC? If I recall correctly he took a couple of heavy hits in that tournament.
No, in the article he states the injury started years ago in junior and has been slowly getting worse over time. They finally got X-rays on it and found he needed surgery.

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
No, in the article he states the injury started years ago in junior and has been slowly getting worse over time. They finally got X-rays on it and found he needed surgery.
This story is baffling.

If they knew, and by all accounts mngt did, that his shoulder was compromised in Juniors. . . why burn a year, subject him to physicality that few healthy hockey players his age can endure in the NHL and now set him back to maybe being ready next Fall.

Poor asset mngt imho.

Reactions: The don godfather

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
This story is baffling.

If they knew, and by all accounts mngt did, that his shoulder was compromised in Juniors. . . why burn a year, subject him to physicality that few healthy hockey players his age can endure in the NHL and now set him back to maybe being ready next Fall.

Poor asset mngt imho.
Shoulders are weird. Theoretically, once the injury gets rest and stops hurting, the possibility exists where you have a chance at never injuring it again. A slight chance, but non-zero.

Surgery is just as iffy as wrist surgery. Tory Krug is an easy example. He never recovered his slap shot after getting his rocker fixed. I'd swear that half the time open shoulder surgery results in similarly unstable shoulders after healing/rehab. Earlier in the season, McAvoy looked like he had a separated shoulder after taking a d-zone hit. Might have just looked that way, as he didn't miss any/significant time for healing, though.

Add those ramblings to the question of where to get the procedure done and on who's dime along with the fact the Bruins cannot compel a player to go under the knife and it isn't all cut and dried.

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad