Recalled/Assigned: Brown called up on an emergency basis.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Leo is banged up and may not play. Conner may not play if leo is in. Hence the emergency call up.

I'm aware of the rules.

Just not sure why the NHL has some insane 4 callup rule that lets people call up an infinite amount of players by adding the word emergency. Just let teams call their players up and send them down like before the deadline...

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
He should've been given a spot in the home opener. He had an excellent camp and just lost due to Leafs signing too many contracts.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm aware of the rules.

Just not sure why the NHL has some insane 4 callup rule that lets people call up an infinite amount of players by adding the word emergency. Just let teams call their players up and send them down like before the deadline...

It's to prevent teams from calling up every player they want in between AHL games (or without care about their AHL games since the NHL team may not even have an AHL affiliate) because the 23 man roster limit is lifted after the deadline.

The NHL teams should have their roster set by the trading deadline, not keep doing roster transactions past it. This is the logic.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It's to prevent teams from calling up every player they want in between AHL games (or just in general) because the 23 man roster limit is lifted after the deadline.

Wouldn't it be more logical to keep the limit in place then?

Why would a team want say 32 players on the ice for a practice?

The rule hasn't stopped us from calling up a different Marlie for almost every game since the deadline. Other then the fact our callups are called "emergency" there's no difference for us.

We can send Brown down tomorrow and call up Gauthier for Saturday. We can ice every Marlies player for a game down the stretch and still not break the 4 call up rules.

It's more hilarious then anything.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Wouldn't it be more logical to keep the limit in place then?

Why would a team want say 32 players on the ice for a practice?

The rule hasn't stopped us from calling up a different Marlie for almost every game since the deadline. Other then the fact our callups are called "emergency" there's no difference for us.

We can send Brown down tomorrow and call up Gauthier for Saturday. We can ice every Marlies player for a game down the stretch and still not break the 4 call up rules.

It's more hilarious then anything.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why the rule exists but it's been in place for a long time for a reason. I think the reason I gave makes sense, even if I don't really agree with it to a certain degree. I think it's to protect the AHL more then anything.

We can only do your scenario if there's an injury. That's why it's an emergency. So if Komarov or any other player is injured by the next game, we're free to replace that injured player with an emergency call up. When that player is healthy, the callup has to go down. We're not doing these moves if there aren't any injuries. So techncially we can't call up any player willy nilly.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
My favourite prospect, FINALLY!!!!!

Wish they put him with Nylander though instead of the 4th line :(

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga

I love that our coaches say great things about our players, unlike before, this will give an extra boost of confidence to a player coming in. How great would you feel if before your first NHL game your coach said this about you?

Be strict and stern when you need to but be smart enough to know when your player needs you to stand behind them and say the right things.

Carlyle and Wilson were terrible at these things.

Lion15

Apr 18, 2015
Kawartha Lakes
Yeah this is great news. I hope he gets more than a couple cups of coffee and somehow can let him ride out the rest of the reason.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm excited to finally see him get some NHL playing time.

Now since he was called up on an emergency basis does that mean tomorrow he has to be back with the Marlies?

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
..CONGRATS to Brownie.., for the call-up..! FINALLY..!! :handclap: :yo:

TML Rescuer: Connor Brown 2014-15 Goal Highlights - TML

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I love that our coaches say great things about our players, unlike before, this will give an extra boost of confidence to a player coming in. How great would you feel if before your first NHL game your coach said this about you?

Be strict and stern when you need to but be smart enough to know when your player needs you to stand behind them and say the right things.

Carlyle and Wilson were terrible at these things.

I think you're reading too much into it. Babcock is saying nice things about individuals that there are actually nice things to say about. He still dissed Leivo with some painful truth bombs about his skating and strength. And he still unceremoniously kicked youngsters like Percy and Loov to the curb without heaping much praise on either.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Awesome too see him where 16. He works hard like Tucker but I don't think he will.be a good fighter and pest as him. Still great guy who is set to make his debut.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Awesome too see him where 16. He works hard like Tucker but I don't think he will.be a good fighter and pest as him. Still great guy who is set to make his debut.

16 will be on the back of the Jersey and on each arm.

edit: I forgot, it should also be on his helmet!

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I'm excited to finally see him get some NHL playing time.

Now since he was called up on an emergency basis does that mean tomorrow he has to be back with the Marlies?

He will have to be sent back once someone returns from injury (probably Komarov, unless Bozak comes back first).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad