Recalled/Assigned: Brown called up on an emergency basis.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I don't see Brown starting on the Marlies, he was likely my first candidate for the big club this training camp. He's ready for the jump.

Barring some big step back by him in the summer or an injury, I agree.

Babcock flat out has already stated he could have started on the Leafs this season (along with Nylander) but the Leafs made the decision to send him down. I very much doubt he'll be back on the Marlies.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Let's get him on willies line.
Next year we could see
Jvr kadri komorov
Vesey nylander brown
Hyman bozak Puljujarvi

I think, if everyone's healthy, and assuming no Stamkos and we get pick 2/3, we go into next season looking at something like

Komarov - Kadri - Soshnikov (Babcock really likes this line)
JVR - Nylander - Laine/Brown
Vesey - Bozak - Brown/Puljujarvi
Greening - Laich - Hyman

Which is crazy, because it leaves guys like Leipsic, Leivo, Johnson, Kapanen, Lindberg as Marlies/traded, along with possibly Timashov on the Marlies and not even taking into consideration that Marner could possibly win a job (If he does, I'd say it's at the expense of Laine/Puljujarvi or Brown, possibly Vesey if he comes in feeling entitled, which means another winger in the AHL).

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think, if everyone's healthy, and assuming no Stamkos and we get pick 2/3, we go into next season looking at something like

Greening - Laich - Hyman

Which is crazy, because it leaves guys like Leipsic, Leivo, Johnson, Kapanen, Lindberg as Marlies/traded, along with possibly Timashov on the Marlies and not even taking into consideration that Marner could possibly win a job (If he does, I'd say it's at the expense of Laine/Puljujarvi or Brown, possibly Vesey if he comes in feeling entitled, which means another winger in the AHL).

How could I forget soshy?
That is some niceness to see.
And the depth on wing is surreal!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Greening - Laich - Hyman

Appears we have a log jam. I am pretty confused as to who we should keep or deal or send back down in some ways.

Brown should be up though

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I do get excited. I just see pap get 3 prime chanced by willie and think if only he had someone more capable on his line.
That said he willie ha impresed me with his defensive game versus some elite talent. Perhaps I'm overvaluating his readiness?

When I'm watching Nylander, I'm still seeing him take shifts off.

And I think that you expect that out of skill guys when they're young. They're used to the puck coming to them and putting up points.

But at this level, you have to work harder and I think we saw it a bit more in the Florida game, but it wasn't 100% there yet. He's still looking over his shoulder too much to figure out where he's supposed to go.

The difference with Brown is that he's playing on a line with 2 veterans that know where to be, so even if he's caught out of position, he's got the other 2 guys that can bail him out.

I would think that if Nylander was to play with JVR & Hyman, that would be more effective for him than playing with Hyman and Parenteau. Because Parenteau is more of a perimeter player than what JVR would bring to the table. And you need to have those 2 guys to compliment Nylander and get the most out of his skill set.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I think that when people don't see Nylander skating like Hyman, they think he is taking a shift off. I don't agree at all with that assessment. Just because Hyman goes balls to the wall 100% of the time doesn't mean he is smart to do that.

Mad Brills*

Sucks that he's getting sent down soon.

Smith on waivers, and komarov ready soon, along with sosh, holland and froese.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think that when people don't see Nylander skating like Hyman, they think he is taking a shift off. I don't agree at all with that assessment. Just because Hyman goes balls to the wall 100% of the time doesn't mean he is smart to do that.

Do you think that he's giving it 100% every shift? Including in the defensive zone.

Jeff O'Neill had a highlight pack that exposed how he wasn't competing to the standards of the NHL level. I'll look and see if I can find it, but it was from their pre-game show yesterday.

Basically, as a centreman, your job is to be the first one back in most cases and there were multiple instances where he would be gliding back.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
When I'm watching Nylander, I'm still seeing him take shifts off.

And I think that you expect that out of skill guys when they're young. They're used to the puck coming to them and putting up points.

But at this level, you have to work harder and I think we saw it a bit more in the Florida game, but it wasn't 100% there yet. He's still looking over his shoulder too much to figure out where he's supposed to go.

The difference with Brown is that he's playing on a line with 2 veterans that know where to be, so even if he's caught out of position, he's got the other 2 guys that can bail him out.

I would think that if Nylander was to play with JVR & Hyman, that would be more effective for him than playing with Hyman and Parenteau. Because Parenteau is more of a perimeter player than what JVR would bring to the table. And you need to have those 2 guys to compliment Nylander and get the most out of his skill set.

Agreed. I also think the fact that he is playing centre is another reason he is looking around as it entails much more responsibility than wing. Brown is also 22 and always been a hustle player. Willie is such a cerebral player I think we will see a big jump in his game next year. He has only looked better each game so far. Still needs work of course but he is progressing fine.
Next year jvr on his wing would be huge. JVR can finish in close and dig the puck our for him. Exciting times.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Also Willie skates at an elite level. He has to 'coast' to remain in the play, then when he has to catch up we see the afterburner kick in.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
Do you think that he's giving it 100% every shift? Including in the defensive zone.

Jeff O'Neill had a highlight pack that exposed how he wasn't competing to the standards of the NHL level. I'll look and see if I can find it, but it was from their pre-game show yesterday.

Basically, as a centreman, your job is to be the first one back in most cases and there were multiple instances where he would be gliding back.
Jeff O'Neill is also a hack.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Jeff O'Neil commenting on a real talent, that might be a bit lazy? Are we even going to NOT laugh our guts out at that?

I love the way Nylander plays, guy is sublime. Need the right linemates, that is all.

Jeff O'Neill should take his fat face out for a long run. Hard to take a man with a wild boar head seriously.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Jeff O'Neil commenting on a real talent, that might be a bit lazy? Are we even going to NOT laugh our guts out at that?

I love the way Nylander plays, guy is sublime. Need the right linemates, that is all.

Jeff O'Neill should take his fat face out for a long run. Hard to take a man with a wild boar head seriously.

It's kinda crazy that Jeff O'Neill was drafted higher than Nylander and has played over 800 NHL games and almost 500 career points?

Sure there's more talented guys out there than him, but how many people on here have scored 40+ goals in a season in the NHL. Raise their hands. (Not on Xbox or Playstation)

If you want to take it with a grain of salt, that's your own problem. But I'll agree with him when he's using videos and explanation to back up his point.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Does anyone who has watched Babcock all season long think that he will take of Nylander better than Jeff the hog O'Neil? Hope most of ya.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

That's outdated thinking, and not how Babcock's system works. F3 should normally be the first one back, and you adapt on the fly. It doesn't have to be the center.

O'Neill is a dinosaur.

Just because he played a lot of games in the NHL ten years ago doesn't mean he has much in the way of analytical thinking skills (look at Colin Campbell).

And even if he is capable of analyzing the game correctly, part of his job is to create controversy, and don't think he wouldn't be misleading to do so.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
O'Neill is an idiot who's desperate to appear like a grizzly old-timer who calls out lazy and entitled young people for not playing hard and tough like him.

Meanwhile, he spent his career standing still in the high-slot with his stick in the air, waiting for Sundin or Ron Francis to give him a one-timer pass, and didn't know what the corners looked like.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Nylander was drafted as a player with warts, but the personality and talent to work on them. The only thing that has changed is that the warts are fewer and smaller, but they are still there.

There is a basis for criticism, and there are plenty of things for Nylander to work on. I'm not worried about that, because if there's something the kid has shown it's that he'll work on things.

One shouldn't let that get in the way of the complete picture though. He's 19, he is an NHL center who is starting to get some match ups and no longer be sheltered, despite this he is our most consistent chance creator offensively, and has been pretty decent in his two-way game. That's a terrific talent to have in your organization. He's taking steps for his intensity, he's taking steps in his transition game, and he's taking steps in his defensive work. With his development trajectory, this discussion might look silly already next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad