Confirmed with Link: Brouwer waived for buyout (edit: cleared)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I hope Brouwer finds an NHL job somewhere. I actually feel bad for him, Gully couldn’t have mishandled him any worse than he did and he’s likely out of the NHL now. I don’t fully blame Gully for this, Brouwer needs to be accountable for his game but he can only play within the confines of the system which was just a terrible, terrible fit for his game. Regardless he’s a good guy and I don’t wish anything negative on him or his family. We to often forget these athletes are people, the Flames made the right decision here but hopefully this ends up being a win for everyone.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I hope Brouwer finds an NHL job somewhere. I actually feel bad for him, Gully couldn’t have mishandled him any worse than he did and he’s likely out of the NHL now. I don’t fully blame Gully for this, Brouwer needs to be accountable for his game but he can only play within the confines of the system which was just a terrible, terrible fit for his game. Regardless he’s a good guy and I don’t wish anything negative on him or his family. We to often forget these athletes are people, the Flames made the right decision here but hopefully this ends up being a win for everyone.

He's still getting paid way more money than he deserves so no real reason to feel bad for him other than the fact that some Flames fans attacked him personally to his social media accounts.

The analytics community as well as 90% of the hockey world in general knew right from the start that it was a horrible contract and he'd be a buy-out candidate as soon as it was signed so it's not like it's a big shocker where he was just put in the wrong situation with the wrong team

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He's still getting paid way more money than he deserves so no real reason to feel bad for him other than the fact that some Flames fans attacked him personally to his social media accounts.

The analytics community as well as 90% of the hockey world in general knew right from the start that it was a horrible contract and he'd be a buy-out candidate as soon as it was signed so it's not like it's a big shocker where he was just put in the wrong situation with the wrong team

I feel bad that a players career in the NHL might be over. Plain and simple.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

I feel bad too until I remembered he is making 4.5m

It comes with being an athlete. The guy is way overpaid for what he produces

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Sorry but my sympathy meter just can’t get up for a guy getting paid a cold couple million bucks to enjoy himself and decide what he would like to do with his future.

Also, some team is gonna sign him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sorry but my sympathy meter just can’t get up for a guy getting paid a cold couple million bucks to enjoy himself and decide what he would like to do with his future.

Because money means everything right? You know damn well the things said about him doesn't just stay online, you can guarantee that people say things to his family too. The way our fanbase reacts to overpaid players is exactly why FAs don't like to sign with Canadian teams

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I honestly don’t think anyone will. Glencross was a better player when he was traded from here, he had 1 average playoff run and that was it. Brouwer is older and had 2 poor years, everyone would rather give their Dube’s, Foo’s, Lazar’s or Mangiapane’s a chance.

I do feel bad for a guy that probably played his game in the NHL. Yes these guys are privileged athletes but I’m sure Brouwer isn’t feeling to good about himself right now. Anyways to each their own, that’s your right as a fan.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because money means everything right? You know damn well the things said about him doesn't just stay online, you can guarantee that people say things to his family too. The way our fanbase reacts to overpaid players is exactly why FAs don't like to sign with Canadian teams

I do not think that is very high on the list. Money, Taxes and nicer weather are more important.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I honestly don’t think anyone will. Glencross was a better player when he was traded from here, he had 1 average playoff run and that was it. Brouwer is older and had 2 poor years, everyone would rather give their Dube’s, Foo’s, Lazar’s or Mangiapane’s a chance.

I do feel bad for a guy that probably played his game in the NHL. Yes these guys are privileged athletes but I’m sure Brouwer isn’t feeling to good about himself right now. Anyways to each their own, that’s your right as a fan.

From our perspective these things can seem sudden, but I don’t think Brouwer would be completely shocked that it’s worked out this way. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had some difficult discussions with management at the end of the season. It’s tough to go out this way for sure (if that’s how he goes out) but the career is short for all these guys, even the best only last a couple decades at best.

All that said I do think another team in need of depth will take a look at him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I do not think that is very high on the list. Money, Taxes and nicer weather are more important.
Bullshit. We always hear about the "fishbowl", fans like to think it refers to the media, but it is every bit as much the fans as the media.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Brouwer was given endless amounts of PP opportunities and got a crap ton of undeserved PK minutes, both of which he proved to be awful by every statistic imaginable.

He did okay on the 4th line but even that was debatable.

He was simply a terrible hockey player who was terribly overpaid and should be thankful for the amount of money he's made by being a replacement-level player at best.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
From our perspective these things can seem sudden, but I don’t think Brouwer would be completely shocked that it’s worked out this way. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had some difficult discussions with management at the end of the season. It’s tough to go out this way for sure (if that’s how he goes out) but the career is short for all these guys, even the best only last a couple decades at best.

All that said I do think another team in need of depth will take a look at him.

I hope you’re right for Brouwer’s sake, I’d love to see him get a chance to go out on his own terms. But he’s not the fleetest of foot, his possession numbers are poor, he’s simply not a sexy player at this stage. I think at best he gets a PTO.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I hope you’re right for Brouwer’s sake, I’d love to see him get a chance to go out on his own terms. But he’s not the fleetest of foot, his possession numbers are poor, he’s simply not a sexy player at this stage. I think at best he gets a PTO.

I think Chicago or Washington will offer him like a 1x1 deal. He is a serviceable 4th line leadership type guy so long as the deal is right.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Brouwer is basically going to be the new Chris Stewart imo. Also GlenX was only out of the league so early because he only wanted to play close to home and neither team wanted him. I'm sure some other teams would've shown interest.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brouwer is basically going to be the new Chris Stewart imo. Also GlenX was only out of the league so early because he only wanted to play close to home and neither team wanted him. I'm sure some other teams would've shown interest.
Glencross refused to sign for under a certain dollar value and it was more than he was worth

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
If "fan reaction" mattered a lick New York wouldn't be the #1 free agent destination.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I had a feeling when he was signed it wasn't going to workout. Most of his career he played with good players in Chicago, Washington and St.Louis who all had good teams. Then he shows up to the Flames with a mediocre team. He was a glorified 3rd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad