Confirmed with Link: Brouwer waived for buyout (edit: cleared)

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
You missed my point. It is extremely common to hear that players don't want to play in Canada. Sure some FAs will still sign here, but if you think the fishbowl effect doesn't limit FA options on Canadian NHL teams, you are lying to yourself.

quite frankly, if players don't want to play here because they're afraid of having their feelings hurt...I'm not gonna be overly upset if they don't want to sign with us. There is the rare player that is worth signing regardless, but in general, those players can go somewhere else imo. I want more Tkachuks on this team.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I seem to remember I liked the Brouwer signing even though I thought he got paid too much. At the time we really needed a big physical RW with a decent shot, too bad it didn't work out.
I still wonder about the injury in his first season. He had 17 points in his first 37 games, not elite numbers but what we expected from him. Then he breaks his finger/hand (I think it required surgery) and then only put up 8 points in his last 37 games. This past season, he never got an opportunity to bounce back offensively (probably rightfully so), with the vast majority of his ice time on the 4th line and PK.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I still wonder about the injury in his first season. He had 17 points in his first 37 games, not elite numbers but what we expected from him. Then he breaks his finger/hand (I think it required surgery) and then only put up 8 points in his last 37 games. This past season, he never got an opportunity to bounce back offensively (probably rightfully so), with the vast majority of his ice time on the 4th line and PK.

He did get some PP time as well, but you make a logical point. 17 in 37 was a solid start. I also seem to remember him needing surgery. Gully's possession system was his kiss of death as well. Dude needs to be on a team that just throws pucks to the net and plays an uptempo style. All he'd have to do is park his ass in front and snipe greasy rebounds.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

If hand surgery derails your NHL career you probably don't belong in this league to begin with. I realise you're not trying to say that his hand never really re-healed or something, I'm just saying I really doubt something as minor as hand surgery was the cause of all this.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If hand surgery derails your NHL career you probably don't belong in this league to begin with. I realise you're not trying to say that his hand never really re-healed or something, I'm just saying I really doubt something as minor as hand surgery was the cause of all this.

It was his finger I believe. If that's the case, a mangled finger can absolutely affect your shot.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Do you not understand how many bones are in your hand? Surgery on a broken finger or hand often results in a foreign object being placed inside your finger/hand to repair it. A bad enough break can result in permanent damage and constant pain.

It was his finger I believe. If that's the case, a mangled finger can absolutely affect your shot.
Especially if you return early from injury (as he did after Gaudreau also went down with finger/hand injury)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If the rumour that he signed here in part to be closer to his sick dad then I guess that makes it a little bit sadder.

It also introduces the potential that he has been fairly distracted with off-ice issues.
I had not heard this

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He had a stroke in... 2012? Then fell down and hurt himself pretty bad in 2015 or something. Couple of concerning issues for the child of an ailing parent. No idea of the validity of said rumour, however.
Jesus. That is awful if true. I actually have a friend in Colorado dealing with the exact same thing (except it is a grandmother that raised her) and she is going out of her mind with worry

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Sun is an absolute rag. Always will be.

II, this is kinda crap that really bothers me. Brouwer was never disrespectful to anyone while a Flame, so he earned that respect back IMO. I like you, am glad thathe got bought out but I’m not gonna act proud and kick a guy when he’s down. That headline is so disgusting to me, they should be ashamed.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That headline is awesome!

True to form Baxterman, you never disappoint.

Brouwer is privledged, yes, he’s a public athlete so he is subject to public criticism and is fair game and it’s your right as a fan to voice posts like this. But it’s also my right to say how disgusting I find comments like this.

Brouwer was well liked by his teammates, was a good guy in the locker room and participated lots in charitable events in the city, went to the Rondald McDonald House. He always owned that he needed to play better when he was demoted in the lineup. No he didn’t play anywhere close to expectations and I understand that he’s getting paid to not play. But this is a guy who is not injured and could very well have had his favourite thing in life taken out of his control and not go out on his own terms. I’m a really empathetic person, I’m sure Brouwer has had a really tough day today and I wish people could show the guy a little compassion.

But that’s my 2 cents and go ahead to cheer the way you want.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
True to form Baxterman, you never disappoint.

Brouwer is privledged, yes, he’s a public athlete so he is subject to public criticism and is fair game and it’s your right as a fan to voice posts like this. But it’s also my right to say how disgusting I find comments like this.

Brouwer was well liked by his teammates, was a good guy in the locker room and participated lots in charitable events in the city, went to the Rondald McDonald House. He always owned that he needed to play better when he was demoted in the lineup. No he didn’t play anywhere close to expectations and I understand that he’s getting paid to not play. But this is a guy who is not injured and could very well have had his favourite thing in life taken out of his control and not on his own terms. I’m a really empathetic person, I’m sure Brouwer has had a really tough day today and I wish people could show the guy a little compassion.

But that’s my 2 cents and go ahead to cheer the way you want.

Meh I found it funny and fitting.

It didn’t attack him personally, go into his private life, disparage him as a person it just captured the appropriate feeling around the guy as a player and “get outta here” is the perfect sentiment and message to send today.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
II, this is kinda crap that really bothers me. Brouwer was never disrespectful to anyone while a Flame, so he earned that respect back IMO. I like you, am glad thathe got bought out but I’m not gonna act proud and kick a guy when he’s down. That headline is so disgusting to me, they should be ashamed.

Absolutely agree. Totally classless.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Meh I found it funny and fitting.

It didn’t attack him personally, go into his private life, disparage him as a person it just captured the appropriate feeling around the guy as a player and “get outta here” is the perfect sentiment and message to send today.

Again to each their own, but I think it puts them on par with the Enquirer. Complete trash.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
That headline really f***ing pisses me off. This is why I don't support the Sun at any capacity, and this includes clicking their links and reading their articles.

Treliving on buying out Brouwer, from about 1:00-9:00. No surprises really. The acquisitions of Lindholm and Hanifan really gave them no choice as they needed the cap room and he would have been an overpaid 4th liner.

Brad Treliving on the Troy Brouwer buyout, arbitration cases and Noah Hanifin - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Walk with Elias

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That headline really ****ing pisses me off. This is why I don't support the Sun at any capacity, and this includes clicking their links and reading their articles.

Treliving on buying out Brouwer, from about 1:00-9:00. No surprises really. The acquisitions of Lindholm and Hanifan really gave them no choice as they needed the cap room and he would have been an overpaid 4th liner.

Brad Treliving on the Troy Brouwer buyout, arbitration cases and Noah Hanifin - Sportsnet.ca
This was also Rob Kerr's final show

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad