Confirmed with Link: Brouwer waived for buyout (edit: cleared)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I wasn't either, until I looked at it as 4.5, 1.5, 1.5 or 1.5, 1.5, 1.5, 1.5

Really it's only one extra year at 1.5 and we save 3 this year as a result.

Yeah, I was really curious about the way it buys out. It also seems too convenient it's so nice of a buyout. Like somehow Treliving knew UFAs were super overpaid that off season and built in a secret buyout option into the contract or something.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
YES! YES! YES!

Guess all the crap about him moving from his house mean't something. Sorry to Brouwer and his family, but it needed to happen. I wish him the best wherever he goes, but now we can sign Hanifin long term.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
1.5 M$ x 4 years isn't an insignificant amount of dead cash, but they're making room for potential deadline deals and that's cool. Some TDL chip have 1 year left to their deal (like Yandle a few years back) so 3M$ can go a long way.

Plus they made room in the bottom 6.

Can't believe I said Ladd's deal was better

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
1.5 M$ x 4 years isn't an insignificant amount of dead cash, but they're making room for potential deadline deals and that's cool. Some TDL chip have 1 year left to their deal (like Yandle a few years back) so 3M$ can go a long way.

Plus they made room in the bottom 6.

You weren't wrong on Brouwer's deal being bad. If he had sustained a 35-40 point pace with us, it would have been liveable at least.

The Eriksson, Lucic and Ladd comment though did make me laugh.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
What great news to come back to!

He seems like a good guy and I don't question his effort or fitness or attitude but he just was not close to good enough, and not just because of his salary. If he was making the minimum he would not be good enough to make this roster.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
What great news to come back to!

He seems like a good guy and I don't question his effort or fitness or attitude but he just was not close to good enough, and not just because of his salary. If he was making the minimum he would not be good enough to make this roster.

If he was making minimum he'd maybe beat out Lazar or Hathaway.

But moot point so yeah.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Today is a great day. He's still getting laid for 4 more years, don't be sad he "lost his job".

Reactions: Signature

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If he was making minimum he'd maybe beat out Lazar or Hathaway.

But moot point so yeah.

Brouwer on a 1 million dollar salary, is one thing. Brouwer paid to be a top 6 player, and playing like fringe NHL'er is completely another.
He made the team worse when he was on the ice. Nuff said.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I have been negative towards Treliving over the past year, but his offseason moves have been great so far! This one might be the best. Good riddance to this player!

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
You weren't wrong on Brouwer's deal being bad. If he had sustained a 35-40 point pace with us, it would have been liveable at least.

The Eriksson, Lucic and Ladd comment though did make me laugh.
I guess I was just pissed and obviously didn't think straight. now I'd rather we lose 1.5M for 4 years than be stuck with duds like Ladd or Eriksson.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I'm surprised, but... not. I guess you can say I'm disappointed. I really thought they'd at least give him part of a season under a new coach to see if he could bounce back, especially since Peters has coached him before.

There's no argument he wasn't earning his paycheque, but I still liked the guy as person.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I guess I was just pissed and obviously didn't think straight. now I'd rather we lose 1.5M for 4 years than be stuck with duds like Ladd or Eriksson.

That was a horrible off season full of fringe talent and has-beens looking to cash out massively.
In the grand scheme of things, trying the Brouwer experiment for two years, and then essentially only paying 6M in cap over four years for it, is a small price to pay.

I was willing to give Troy the benefit of the doubt when he started here... but that play just fell off a cliff.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm surprised, but... not. I guess you can say I'm disappointed. I really thought they'd at least give him part of a season under a new coach to see if he could bounce back, especially since Peters has coached him before.

There's no argument he wasn't earning his paycheque, but I still liked the guy as person.

Nothing against guys personally. I thought Eggs was a good dude. I thought Boums was a good dude; I think Brouwer's a good guy too.... but... their on-ice play doesn't merit them being with us.

I wish Troy the best of luck, where ever he lands... I'm sure another team will come-a-knockin' soon enough. He's not super old, doesn't skate horribly, could still chip in.

People forget that this guy got a really good chance to shine in Calgary in his first season. He even got PP time this season, when it was clear it wasn't working. The main problem was: who was he overlapping:
Neal, Lindholm, Ryan, Czarnik? I'd have each 4 of those guys in RW before Troy at this stage.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Happy about the buyout, but I’d still rather have Hanifin on a bridge deal so we control him for 10+ years and not 7

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
A) glad Troy loses out on 3 million. He didn’t earn that money.

B) as has been mentioned this opens up space for Hanifin. But also maybe a Tkachuk extension too

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
IMO Hanafin hasn't earned a long term deal over 4.5. He was great last season but his first two were pretty damn meh and I like the player.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
I'm glad they finally made room to sign Shinkaruk. :sarcasm:

Brouwer did seem like a good dude though. Wish him the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad